• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

aircon trains (1 Viewer)

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
It'll be interesting to see which trains operate on the Epping-Chatswood Line when it opens early next year, as Tangara trains cannot operate on it due to the gradient being too steep.

They're now testing trains to see if they can push a dead set up the steep gradient.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
"But Mr Graham said all of RailCorp's trains could run on the line, although the design of the Tangara meant it was not ideally suited to the gradient."
QUOTE: smh

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Yeah you do need to consider that the tunnel goes underneath a river bed, so obviously it will have a considerably steep gradient.

I Robot

HSC
OSCARS during peak hours.
Non-air con trains during off-peak hours.
No Tangaras will be timetabled through Epping-Chatswood.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
There may be a K set that goes through the tunnel, but I'm not sure.

For those that don't know, K sets are the trains that had air con retrofitted to them. When they were made back in the 70's (IIRC), only the first 4 cars were fitted with air con, and the rest of them were fitted with forced ventilation. The forced ventilated cars were gradually retrofitted with air con, and all were fitted with air con by 2000. Notice that some of the K sets have their 'hopper' windows glued shut? (The first batch had their windows replaced, but 2nd batch were just glued shut)

lala2

Banned
HSC
^^Wow, you know your trains! What are those ones that have Tangara seats retrofitted to them? I reckon all the metal cans should have that done too, so I can nap on the way to and from uni.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
The silver sets with aircon and irreversible seating? They're C sets. They were made around 1989 due to the delay in the delivery of the Tangara fleet.

You like the seating? I personally hate 'Tangara style' seating, although having irreversible seating does make the train lighter, which does help because C sets are one of the heaviest sets of the Cityrail fleet.

C sets are fitted with a thyristor Chopper control/drive system. Chopper control systems can accelerate faster and are smoother, than camshaft control (which is what the older trains control/drive systems are).

Notice that the C sets sound like Tangaras when accelerating? This is because they both have Chopper control.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
theres definitely a millenium train going from blacktown to wyong weekdays at 4:something pm on platform 3

Roga

HSC
electrolysis said:
theres definitely a millenium train going from blacktown to wyong weekdays at 4:something pm on platform 3
Yeah I usually see that too. That's the new OSCAR train.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
That's an OSCAR, NOT a Millenium.

OSCARs are still being made as far as I know -- I think there are 22x4 car sets as of now IIRC. They should be more delivered soon.

electrolysis said:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
OSCARS are quite comfortable.

Had one once from Martin Place to Wolli Ck.

Ah memories of a comfortable train!

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
That may have been a Millenium. It was probably when there was trackwork on Sector 2.

How did you know it was an OSCAR? Did it have an onboard toilet? When did you ride it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)