Al Jazeera not in Australia :( (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
Who the hell wants al-JaArab on Australian TV? Do they have national nine news in the middle east?
i do - considering we have australian troops overseas, i would like to be updated with a variety of sources - including aljazeera
why would they want 9 news in the middle east, not many arabs have military, political or financial interests in australia, so even if they had 9 news, they wouldnt watch it - were too boring.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
I dont think there is anything wrong by having aljazeera in australia - its not people are forcing you watch it. IT just gives us more choice, and considering at the moment there is hardly any - australia needs it.

Al Jazeer has been allowed in many other countries without too much fuss. In australia it is allowed according to WAF trough optus.

so no problems.
And I believe the kick ass SBS - will showing it world watch or newswatch or somethin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Graham Trevor

HSC
bshoc said:
Al-Jazeera ? How much more fucktard leftist can you get? I mean there is enough leftist pandering on the BBC and CNN as its is, who the hell wants a terrorist news network anyway?

Retards.
Knew you'd pop up somewhere in here with a comment about those filthy lefties.

Graham Trevor

HSC
bshoc said:
You're right, Al-Jazeera is potentially very conducive to Mid East - Western Relations, assuming its headquaters around the middle east are burning to the ground after a US surgical strike. There are a few good examples of truly unbiased and fair news orgs in the middle east, Al-Jazeera is about as far as you can get from that.

A channels' viewership can tell you alot about the channel itself, for example FNC 's vieweship is 75% Republican, I'll leave the interpretation up to you for this one:

http://terrorism.about.com/b/a/000015.htm

Nonsense. Take into account the nonresponse bias.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
otay said:
Maybe not in Qatar (I've never been, have you?) but in various other countries around the world which I've been to (including Middle-Eastern ones) they do precisely this. It's not always 'crikey', it may be 'gday' or just simply 'kangaroo'. But they associate a word or phrase with Australia. I don't get offended. Just thought I'd clarify it.
Firstly, do you associate the word 'habib' with all Middle-Easterners or just Lebanese? I'm trying to differentiate between you and the losers who think that Lebanon is the Middle-East. How many Middle-Eastern countries have you been to? (excluding Lebanon and Eypt because they pretty much follow France and the USA in their culture)

Also, yes, I have been to Qatar. It was only for an hour and a half (transit) but still, I've been there. :)

JayB

HSC
politik said:
Dude, you are just unfathomable - your idiocy is just, too complex and substantial for anyone to understand.

Why would I want your post translated in Arabic? Go on, you made the comment, now explain your reasoning.
i gues he's referring to the fact that several leaders in the middle eastern world say one thing in english to the world, and then turn around and say something completely diferent to their people in arabic.

i could be wrong there though...

L

littlewing69

OH NOES! BROWN PEEPLZ READING TEH NEWZ!! TERRISTS!!!!ONEONE!!!

Fuckwits. Al-Jazeera would be an asset to reporting in this country.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
littlewing69 said:
OH NOES! BROWN PEEPLZ READING TEH NEWZ!! TERRISTS!!!!ONEONE!!!

Fuckwits. Al-Jazeera would be an asset to reporting in this country.
You say that now, but just wait til they steal the filming equipment and rape the producer.

Aryanbeauty

HSC
Good decision by Foxtel, there is no reason that Foxtel should be burdened with carrying a news channel catering to less than 1% of australian who are at the bottom of income bracket. Foxtel is not a charity it operate for profit and it should stay that way.

HSC
Wow, the level of intelligence on this forum is really rather astounding.

First of all, Al Jazeera is, as far as I can tell, no less reputable a news sources as any other network that we currently have. As has been said, just because it shows terrorist videos does not mean to say it supports them, it simply means that AJ wishes to present news from a variety of sources.

Secondly, how is it in any way condonable that a corporation motivated by profit has the right to select which news channels are shown? I believe they have a word for that sort of thing...oh yeah: Censorship.

To all those crazy bastards who believe that Al Jazeera is some terrorist new networks for god's sake wake up and actually know what you're talking about before making such obviously ignorant claims. Even a cursory examination of the Al Jazeera home page and a short viewing of their online content shows the network to be fairly balanced in its reporting.

Finally, if you don't want to watch it fine, don't, but that shouldn't stop others from doing so.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
No. Censorship is where the government decides what we should watch. The situation you described is one where the pay TV provider decides there isn't a market for al jazeera, and if they're wrong they'll lose money over it.

HSC
withoutaface said:
No. Censorship is where the government decides what we should watch. The situation you described is one where the pay TV provider decides there isn't a market for al jazeera, and if they're wrong they'll lose money over it.
How is the fact that a corporation is deciding what we should watch any different from the government deciding?

Also Fox won't lose money because they have nothing to lose save if people switch to Optus simply to watch Al Jazeera, something that I don't really think is going to be a major concern.

Oh and somehow I think this decision is motivated by more than purely market-based considerations...

Aryanbeauty

HSC
turtleface said:
I would like to watch Al Jazeera. I'd like to see why it was banned in Iraq by the Iraq government (read: U.S. government)

Geez theres quite a bit of hypocrisy. China gets bagged for banning stuff like wikipedia and any other unbiased information/news source, and people complain (rightly so), but its all ok when Al Jazeera is banned in Iraq by the U.S.
Are you sure it was done by the US? proof? any links?

Not only in Iraq but also in other arab countries Al Jazeera was banned. Such as Algeria, Bahrain and Al jazeera channel is NOT banned in the United States.

Gerhard said:
OMG GUYS AL JAZEERA IS A TERRORIST!
Yes you are right, One Al Jazeera correspondent was jailed for supporting Al-Qaeda in Spain.
Reporter Taysir Allouni was arrested in Spain on 5 September2003, on a charge of having provided support for members of al-Qaeda. Judge Baltasar Garzón, who had issued the arrest warrant, ordered Allouni held indefinitely without bail. He was nevertheless released several weeks later for health concerns, but was prohibited from leaving the country.
On 19 September, a Spanish court issued an arrest warrant for Allouni, before the expected verdict. Allouni asked the court for permission to visit his family in Syria to attend the funeral of his mother, but authorities denied his request and ordered him back to jail.
Although he pleaded not guilty of all the charges against him, Allouni was sentenced on 26 September2005 to seven years in prison for being a financial courier for al-Qaeda. Allouni insisted he merely interviewed bin Laden after the September 11th attack on the United States
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_jazeera#From_Spain

Australia does not need a terrorist disguised as a journalist and its one sided propaganda to feed more fodder to extremely violent minorities.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The Brucemaster said:
How is the fact that a corporation is deciding what we should watch any different from the government deciding?

Also Fox won't lose money because they have nothing to lose save if people switch to Optus simply to watch Al Jazeera, something that I don't really think is going to be a major concern.

Oh and somehow I think this decision is motivated by more than purely market-based considerations...
If people care enough about Al Jazeera they'll switch to Optus or drop Foxtel on principle. A corporation deciding is different because a corporation only exists so long as people agree with the bulk of their decisions, and if they really fuck up they can be sent bankrupt in a matter of months. Should Foxtel be forced to let me host my own cooking show if I ask them to, to avoid calls of censorship?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Aryanbeauty said:
Good decision by Foxtel, there is no reason that Foxtel should be burdened with carrying a news channel catering to less than 1% of australian who are at the bottom of income bracket. Foxtel is not a charity it operate for profit and it should stay that way.
Your racism is filthy. Just because you are a Muslim hater. (I presume because you are a jew).

Jews are spies also. There was a family arrested and deported from Turramurra as they were jewish spies. The kids went to masada. Dont act so innocent. Your religion is just as guilty.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
How is hating someone because they believe that Muhammad was God's final messenger racist?

HSC
withoutaface said:
If people care enough about Al Jazeera they'll switch to Optus or drop Foxtel on principle. A corporation deciding is different because a corporation only exists so long as people agree with the bulk of their decisions, and if they really fuck up they can be sent bankrupt in a matter of months.
Theoretically that's fine but I don't think any considerable number of people are going to switch to Optus (which is largely inferior to Foxtel) simply because it broadcasts Al Jazeera.

A government only exists if a majority of people agrees with the bulk of its decisions and if they really fuck up they lose power. I'm not seeing much difference in a corporation's right to select content.

Should Foxtel be forced to let me host my own cooking show if I ask them to, to avoid calls of censorship?
No but for different reasons.

1) There are already numerous cooking shows broadcast on Foxtel and unless your cooking show caters to a niche market then Foxtel has no financial incentive to broadcast your show.

2) I'm sure your skill and experience in cooking is far less than those personalities who already have their own cooking shows and so again, you can bring nothing new to the market, whereas Al Jazeera offers a new perspective that caters to a wide audience base (indicated by the 80 million people who watched its inaugural international broadcast)

Aryanbeauty

HSC
Martyno1 said:
Yep that's right, which is exactly why we have AJI in Australia but no Israeli news channels. GOOD WORK!!!
No one ask, beg and whine about israeli news channel, and no jews do not accuse foxtel of racism for not carrying israeli news channel. Television broadcasts are done by foxtel on the basis of return on investment expected for each channel launched. Al Jazeera, a channel which will be watched mainly by australian muslims communities who are among the poorest in australia and very small in number with no commercial future, foxtel have made the right decision. Like I said before Foxtel is not a charity organisation.

velox said:
Your racism is filthy. Just because you are a Muslim hater. (I presume because you are a jew).

Jews are spies also. There was a family arrested and deported from Turramurra as they were jewish spies. The kids went to masada. Dont act so innocent. Your religion is just as guilty.
Your assumption stink. And yes provide proof and link that jewish spies are arrested and deported by australia or is it pulled out from your hairy ass as usual? And what does religion has to do with Al Jazeera reporter jailed for terrorist activities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)