• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Algebra Help (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

st1m

HSC
people think they are geniuses just because they know these questions... Shame on everyone who made a stubborn comment about her.
Respect is obviousely something that you guys lack and instead of giving her advice, you try to show up off how good you are and that "I did this in year 4". Bullshit.
Although this might be basic, mathematics can be improved and i suggest that she keeps on posting questions on this site... She might not have "a 60 dollar an hour tutor to help her like most of you have here".

conclusion:
grow up.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
st1m said:
people think they are geniuses just because they know these questions... Shame on everyone who made a stubborn comment about her.
Respect is obviousely something that you guys lack and instead of giving her advice, you try to show up off how good you are and that "I did this in year 4". Bullshit.
Although this might be basic, mathematics can be improved and i suggest that she keeps on posting questions on this site... She might not have "a 60 dollar an hour tutor to help her like most of you have here".

conclusion:
grow up.
+1

Schoey93

HSC
louise08 said:
I really struggle in algebra...I can't do these questions.. can anyone help? Thanks.
By the way you Year 11 dumbass, these are simple - and I'm in YEAR 9. Jeez

Expand and Simplify

1. 7-2(1-2x)
= 5(1-2x)
= 5 - 10x

2. 5x-5(2x+1)

3. 5-4(x-2)

4. 7(x-3)+1
I could do the rest but I hate maths too and I have my own INDICES AND SURDS Yr 9 test to study for.

Look:
google "basic algebra"
and see what comes up. I understand that people can find algebra difficult, but I agree with that other user Catosaurus or whatever their name is -

if you hate maths and you're so bad at it, drop the bastard that is 4 periods of maths a week!!!!

:D

Schoey93

HSC
I don't intend to offend you (the person who asked original question).

I can empathise - Maths is difficult and I understand how algebra can be really confusing, cos although I do Stage 5.3 (Advanced) Maths, some of the extension topics, like surds - my Maths teacher said "it's similar to algebra when you think about the rules and the substitutions" - and all I can think of saying is ...
Drop maths next yr honey! But I'm not being sarcastic, as I am good at maths and even I would consider dropping it to take up more practical and interesting subjects. My maths teacher said about surds and conjugates
"this topic has no practical applications to life whatsoever"
So...why bother? Instead, try getting into a course that doesn't require maths knowledge - e.g. arts
- Journalism UAI 95+
- Law UAI 98+
- Bachelor of Dramatic Art (NIDA)
- Commercial Cookey (at TAFE)
- Hairdressing
- Writing and Cultural Studies UAI 95+

You get the idea...why the fucking hell bother doing maths "just because you feel like you should" I hear people in Year 11 ...like there's 110 Year 11's and only 20 dropped maths. but there's like 20 more saying "aww wish i dropped maths" and yeah it's kinda a shame.

James

Scinery

HSC
Schoey93 said:
I don't intend to offend you (the person who asked original question).

I can empathise - Maths is difficult and I understand how algebra can be really confusing, cos although I do Stage 5.3 (Advanced) Maths, some of the extension topics, like surds - my Maths teacher said "it's similar to algebra when you think about the rules and the substitutions" - and all I can think of saying is ...
Drop maths next yr honey! But I'm not being sarcastic, as I am good at maths and even I would consider dropping it to take up more practical and interesting subjects. My maths teacher said about surds and conjugates
"this topic has no practical applications to life whatsoever"
So...why bother? Instead, try getting into a course that doesn't require maths knowledge - e.g. arts
- Journalism UAI 95+
- Law UAI 98+
- Bachelor of Dramatic Art (NIDA)
- Commercial Cookey (at TAFE)
- Hairdressing
- Writing and Cultural Studies UAI 95+

You get the idea...why the fucking hell bother doing maths "just because you feel like you should" I hear people in Year 11 ...like there's 110 Year 11's and only 20 dropped maths. but there's like 20 more saying "aww wish i dropped maths" and yeah it's kinda a shame.

James
This probably doesnt belong here, but Shoey93 i dont think its the best idea in the world to be planning your preliminary courses in year 9. aside from getting hammered on BOS, its really putting unneccessary pressure on yourself in the future. in year 9 i was SET on doing ancient, legal, and physics, and now im doing modern, chem and drama. i didnt think id change my mind and i tried to start studying for year 11 in year 9 and 10 and it was really a waste of time. having it on your sig really closes your doors in my opinion... some argue that its good to have your goals set early so that u have something to work for but when your goals change and your left in the dark.....it sucks. and for the record journalism is like 85...

as for louise08..i wasnt surprised at the "low" standard of her questions, i mean yes we learnt it a long time ago but im aware that there are heeeeapps of people who cant do them anyway, and they dont ask for help because of fear of getting owned LIKE SHE JUST DID. because she definitely got owned..quite badly lol. i support people asking for help...i dont support year 9ers giving help. it doesnt really appeal to me. maybe its just me.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
OMFG!

How low can you get, people?

Shame on you for making fun of others.

Everyone obviously has different standards. For some, it might be difficult that they might need help, for others it might be extremely easy. I reckon people at the academic top ends would look down on you as if you never existed. If someone gives questions, just answer the bloody damn questions and move on.

On top of that, there are situations where you forget how to do certain questions. Take that kind of situation into account. And I shall not play "name and shame" game here.

Also keep in mind that there are subjects where you would be abysmally bad. I personally find Visual Arts difficult. I would have to study 24/7 to pull of 40%.

EDIT: I don't know why I keep coming back to my own post and re-editing over and over agiain. (mainly because I discovered more posts that seem to have a good at someone)

I shall say "wtf" to people who wrote that they learnt this in year in their primary school years or thereabout. I don't need to hear your bluff and you guys truly suck. We didn't need those comments here and if I were to boast, I would seriously kick some people's asses in maths here. But I don't as I already know that there are tonnes of people in here who are infinitely better than I am in maths. You guys are truly nothing compared to this whole academic arena called "Bored of Studies". There are stacks of people who know better than you but they hide in their shadows reading this post. They might be laughing at you. I mean, they are laughing at your baseless bluff and boasting. Anyway, I shall seriosuly stop my rant here.

Last edited:

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lyounamu said:
OMFG!

How low can you get, people?

Shame on you for making fun of others.

Everyone obviously has different standards. For some, it might be difficult that they might need help, for others it might be extremely easy. I reckon people at the academic top ends would look down on you as if you never existed. If someone gives questions, just answer the bloody damn questions and move on.

On top of that, there are situations where you forget how to do certain questions. Take that kind of situation into account. And I shall not play "name and shame" game here.

Also keep in mind that there are subjects where you would be abysmally bad. I personally find Visual Arts difficult. I would have to study 24/7 to pull of 40%.

EDIT: I don't know why I keep coming back to my own post and re-editing over and over agiain. (mainly because I discovered more posts that seem to have a good at someone)

I shall say "wtf" to people who wrote that they learnt this in year in their primary school years or thereabout. I don't need to hear your bluff and you guys truly suck. We didn't need those comments here and if I were to boast, I would seriously kick some people's asses in maths here. But I don't as I already know that there are tonnes of people in here who are infinitely better than I am in maths. You guys are truly nothing compared to this whole academic arena called "Bored of Studies". There are stacks of people who know better than you but they hide in their shadows reading this post. They might be laughing at you. I mean, they are laughing at your baseless bluff and boasting. Anyway, I shall seriosuly stop my rant here.
Nicely said Namu.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
This isn't happy-happy supportive land. It's the freakin' internet.

It's not about having tutors or not. Those are basic questions. That's not just struggling in one area, if she's having problems with that, I'm thinking she should be dropping Maths.

She should be asking her teacher anyway

I understand people get behind and miss things. I moved from a rural interstate school to Sydney and got behind, still am. I had to drop 3 unit. I now only do 2 unit but have caught up and topped my class in the last test. So it's not like I don't understand difficult academic situations.

If you ask questions here, of course you're open to criticism. People, get off your moral high horse, I know you're hiding from the outside world here, but it's going to be harsh otherwise once you experience it.

bored of sc

HSC
black_kat_meow said:

It's not about having tutors or not. Those are basic questions. That's not just struggling in one area, if she's having problems with that, I'm thinking she should be dropping Maths.

I understand people get behind and miss things. I moved from a rural interstate school to Sydney and got behind, still am. I had to drop 3 unit. I now only do 2 unit but have caught up and topped my class in the last test. So it's not like I don't understand difficult academic situations.

If you ask questions here, of course you're open to criticism. People, get off your moral high horse, I know you're hiding from the outside world here, but it's going to be harsh otherwise once you experience it.
What? So everyone should give into the current state of the world. If we all did that the world would be such a terrible place. I beg to differ with you. Morality is essential in a world of money and self-interest. It shows there is a spirit of humanity left somewhere. :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
black_kat_meow said:

In no circumstances, I will abandon my morals. I abode by that in the past years and living off that indicates that I am faking my identity.

In addition, I still believe that living according to morals is the easier way to success in a long term.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
That's good if you'll do that. However, you have no right to tell us "shame on you." Those are YOUR morals. And just because people don't share those particular ones doesn't mean they are totally immoral.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
black_kat_meow said:
That's good if you'll do that. However, you have no right to tell us "shame on you." Those are YOUR morals. And just because people don't share those particular ones doesn't mean they are totally immoral.
But it's wrong though. It's not a matter of being moral, amoral or immoral. Making an unncessary comment that abases someone's intellectual based on her question is wrong. She might possess higher level of intellectuals in other subjects. It's not our position to brand someone.

And yes, this is the internet. Therefore, you didn't have any opportunities until now to fully understand what she is like. Therefore, making a baseless comment is not right in the first place which has got nothing to do morals or immorals. It's against the social norm.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lyounamu said:
But it's wrong though. It's not a matter of being moral, amoral or immoral. Making an unncessary comment that abases someone's intellectual based on her question is wrong. She might possess higher level of intellectuals in other subjects. It's not our position to brand someone.

And yes, this is the internet. Therefore, you didn't have any opportunities until now to fully understand what she is like. Therefore, making a baseless comment is not right in the first place which has got nothing to do morals or immorals. It's against the social norm.
You can't define "right" and "wrong". Nor can you say one persons moral is better than another.

Also, you're brandishing those that lashed out, "shame on you".

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I don't think lyounamu is 'brandishing' anyone. His point is both justifiable and commendable.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Either way, her lashing out at us not having social skill.... ;)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
She was just being defensive, and for good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)