All history extensioners!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

le Mali

HSC
atm im kinda stuck on what to write in the conclusion for the half yearly ext history paper. our prac one was :
"Compare and contrast Inga Cledinnen’s interpretation of the purposes of history with the views of at least TWO other historians you have studied. Make a judgment about the value of these viewpoints. "

basically she is the same as von ranke but how do i conclude thatttt
ty all <3

hmmm, I reckon you could go something like
- Through analysis of the historical discourse between Clendinnen and Von Ranke, complementary to their individual historiography it is determinable that their methods and conclusions are tantamount in priciple.

or some other rot. But our class hasn't gone in depth on historians yet, we broke it up and chucked the case study in the middle.

HSC
Well I only read the first thing, so I don't know if the thread is on a tangent on anything hah :spam:

Ok, my name is Julian, I go to Nowra Anglican College, anyone know where Nowra is? A lot more people know Berry which is just north... Or the Shoalhaven which is the council region...

Anyway. My question is as follows:
How the function of the QVB has changed.

Interesting I know, but it may change and it has interesting history... Also what historians are people doing?
I'm onto Herodotus, von Ranke and possibly Michel Foucault or Richard Evans... And if I'm desperate then the Annalist school...

Ok, my question to everyone:
What is history?

zorcy

HSC
my question has something to do with how alchemy was the one of the real starting points towards the development of modern science. was gonna just focus on nicholas flamel, but well... i dunno- we are talking about the project right?

hoopsy

HSC
name: michael, i go to scots school albury :).

i still havnt come up with a good question :(, i am focussing on hitler, preferably looking at his effect on the German country, are there any suggestions as to what i could possably do with this?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
name: michael, i go to scots school albury :).

i still havnt come up with a good question :(, i am focussing on hitler, preferably looking at his effect on the German country, are there any suggestions as to what i could possably do with this?
Be very careful as that is a major overlap to the Modern History syllabus.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
hoopsy, you could take a historiographical take on it. For example... 'How have post WW2 composers and historians contributed to the demonising of Adolf Hitler?' or even: 'To what effect can Hitler be responsible for censorship laws in modern Germany?' Although, the second seems limited.

My topic is pretty much Joseph Stalin. Just have to hammer out a question. Teacher suggested: 'Do biographies of Stalin reveal more about historians as authors than what they reveal of the former Soviet leader?'

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
hoopsy, you could take a historiographical take on it. For example... 'How have post WW2 composers and historians contributed to the demonising of Adolf Hitler?' or even: 'To what effect can Hitler be responsible for censorship laws in modern Germany?' Although, the second seems limited.

My topic is pretty much Joseph Stalin. Just have to hammer out a question. Teacher suggested: 'Do biographies of Stalin reveal more about historians as authors than what they reveal of the former Soviet leader?'
That question sounds good as you too have to be careful considering how much Stalin comes into the Modern History syllabus.

hoopsy

HSC
the first option actualy sounds pretty good, will deffinatly consider it :).

but just wondering, with the whole cross over thing. I dont do modern, i do ancient, would it still be bad to have a question that overlaps the modern syllabus?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
the first option actualy sounds pretty good, will deffinatly consider it :).

but just wondering, with the whole cross over thing. I dont do modern, i do ancient, would it still be bad to have a question that overlaps the modern syllabus?
You are not allowed to do any topic that significantly overlaps any examinable HSC or SC syllabus not just the courses that you are studying so yes it would matter.

The BOS really doesn't check, unless you are at a non-government school, where they do check the topics during the registration year and the school gets rapped over the knuckles for allowing. I know at my school my HOD simply wouldn't allow me to allow any topic that remotely overlaps and she has checked with the BOS about how tough I am supposed to be and the advice that she received was that our approach is the right one.

Matt2233

HSC
You are not allowed to do any topic that significantly overlaps any examinable HSC or SC syllabus not just the courses that you are studying so yes it would matter.

The BOS really doesn't check, unless you are at a non-government school, where they do check the topics during the registration year and the school gets rapped over the knuckles for allowing. I know at my school my HOD simply wouldn't allow me to allow any topic that remotely overlaps and she has checked with the BOS about how tough I am supposed to be and the advice that she received was that our approach is the right one.

I don't know where your getting the BOS checks private school projects...

The extent to how much overlap you can have with a HSC/SC module is up to the disgression of your teacher.

Personally, my teacher allowed students who didn't do an area of history to have complete free reign with the syllabus, but if they did do that history she was more strict.

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I don't know where your getting the BOS checks private school projects...

The extent to how much overlap you can have with a HSC/SC module is up to the digression of your teacher.

Personally, my teacher allowed students who didn't do an area of history to have complete free reign with the syllabus, but if they did do that history she was more strict.

I get where the BOS checks private schools from experience - note I said that the school gets the rap not the students. That is because it could be two or three years after the offending project was done - e.g. my school will have its registration next year and they will tell me whether or not my projects fit the criteria of overlapping.

You are correct that it is up to the teacher as to whether or not to allow the topic.

I won't because the BOS have made it clear what they expect but I know that other schools will.

Last edited:

Matt2233

HSC
I get where the BOS checks private schools from experience - note I said that the school gets the rap not the students. That is because it could be two or three years after the offending project was done - e.g. my school will have its registration next year and they will tell me whether or not my projects fit the criteria of overlapping.

You are correct that it is up to the teacher as to whether or not to allow the topic.

I won't because the BOS have made it clear what they expect but I know that other schools will.
Yea i guess that's believable, not sure why they would do it to non-government schools and non public ones too :s

Doesn't affect me though, as my question is about science =D

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yea i guess that's believable, not sure why they would do it to non-government schools and non public ones too :s

Doesn't affect me though, as my question is about science =D

The BOS doesn't inspect government schools the way the do with private schools.

Every five years private schools have to be inspected for registration and accreditation (registration is to allow the school to operate and accedetation is to allow them to prepare students for the SC and HSC - or it might be the other way round - being at a High School we do both at the same time but the primary department of my school only does one of them).

It is during this process that they check for compliance with the different syllabi, including checking topics for the History Extension projects (at least my topics were checked in 2006 and I assume will be checked again next year when we do it all again).

le Mali

HSC
i think i'm doing..

'Where does the historian David Irving draw the distinction in his holocaust denial theories, between evidence and intuition, and to what extent can we consider this valid historiography?'

i hope it's coherent, can i have some opinions please? i have another major so i'm keen on making this focus question as clear cut as possible!

by the way, i have hardly no research except for a few websites that helped me choose this question and i haven't started at all - no one in my class has. anyone else?
My teacher is a marker of history essay comps, I've got one about holocaust denial at the moment. These projects are pretty top notch.
I could scan and send it to you if it'd be helpful. Let me know.
=)

speedofsound

HSC
My teacher is a marker of history essay comps, I've got one about holocaust denial at the moment. These projects are pretty top notch.
I could scan and send it to you if it'd be helpful. Let me know.
=)
oooh i would love to see it! not relevant to my topic, but i haven't read any essays marked for comps yet.

vicbit

HSC
hey ness here, for my essay im doing the leadup to, invasion of and aftermath of the turkish invasion of cyprus and looking at turkey had a right to invade. due in two weeks :) how is everyone elses projects going?

Chevalier

FutureGazer
HSC
Hi everyone! I'm Tony, I go to Normanhurst Boys High and I'm a modern historian doing my project on a topic of ancient history because I find ancient more interesting as far as a historical investigation is concerned. I'm doing a somewhat generic topic; whether the Romans did more harm than good to modern civilisation through their destruction of some of the greatest and under appreciated civilisations of the ancient world? Any comments on the suitability of this topic?

Thanks

Matt2233

HSC
The BOS doesn't inspect government schools the way the do with private schools.

Every five years private schools have to be inspected for registration and accreditation (registration is to allow the school to operate and accedetation is to allow them to prepare students for the SC and HSC - or it might be the other way round - being at a High School we do both at the same time but the primary department of my school only does one of them).

It is during this process that they check for compliance with the different syllabi, including checking topics for the History Extension projects (at least my topics were checked in 2006 and I assume will be checked again next year when we do it all again).
Thanks for the info. repped.

zoe1231

HSC
hey can anyone go over what they've been told to put in their logbooks?:hat:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)