All your questions answered about UMAT (1 Viewer)

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
atleast 600 people are offered interviews for about 200 spots. as long as u dont screw it up bad, u should get in no problemo.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
read this on MSO

this year for UNE/UNCLE the cutoff is 50/50/50 in each section, then they rank you only on section 1 scores
FUAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKK
Got fucking 48 for section 2. :'(
Yeah, I'm fucked this year.
Try again next year. :(

mirakon

nigga
HSC
@ Dr Fresh

Dude, I got offered an interview for UWS, do you have any idea as to what type of questions they ask? Is it similar to UNSW? Do they give you "Situational" problem solving? Thanks in advance.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
i never did the UWS interview cuz i didnt have any intention of going there. but from what people have told me, theres a number of different "stations" each assessing different skills (leadership, empathy, teamwork, professionalism). the MMI format isnt something you can prepare for so if you have the qualities they are looking for, you will do very well.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
i never did the UWS interview cuz i didnt have any intention of going there. but from what people have told me, theres a number of different "stations" each assessing different skills (leadership, empathy, teamwork, professionalism). the MMI format isnt something you can prepare for so if you have the qualities they are looking for, you will do very well.
k thx bro. Yeah I've done a few interviews before for various reasons and although I never prepare for them (I'm comfortable with talking naturally), I still want to get a slight idea just so I'm not completely taken aback if they ask a question from left field.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
I disagree with this. You prepare for it in the same way that you prepare for the other interviews, just know what it means to be a Dr (in detail: what the job actually is, what it entails and how its different to the other medical professions like physio and nursing) and why you want to do med. Knowing a little about the institution's core values and what they're looking for in a successful applicant might help as well, just don't expect to answer as directly as a panel interview. Just know that all the universities essentially assess the same qualities.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I disagree with this. You prepare for it in the same way that you prepare for the other interviews, just know what it means to be a Dr (in detail: what the job actually is, what it entails and how its different to the other medical professions like physio and nursing) and why you want to do med. Knowing a little about the institution's core values and what they're looking for in a successful applicant might help as well, just don't expect to answer as directly as a panel interview. Just know that all the universities essentially assess the same qualities.
I have nothing against you disagreeing, but to be quite honest, you said you "disagree" and yet didn't contradict what Dr Fresh said in any way.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I disagree. Clear enough?
k, but from what you said about them assessing your qualities, you can't really "prepare" your qualities can you? I'd assume its just part of who you are.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
k, but from what you said about them assessing your qualities, you can't really "prepare" your qualities can you? I'd assume its just part of who you are.
I wouldn't lie (interviewers can pick that out easy), but interviews really are about what aspects of your personality are suitable for what medicine is as a career. It's impossible to tell whether someone is gonna be a good medic in any sort of interview process but the idea is just to get a feel for what sort of person you are, your values and how easy it is to teach you how to be a doctor. It doesn't set out to find good medics to begin with. Ideally, you would want to think about what sort of experiences you've had in the past that would make you seem like a suitable candidate and what parts of your personality are suitable as a safe, effective medical practitioner. As I said before, you'd need at least an idea of what a doctor does and what the job requires you to do (I've elaborated on this more previous post) and not just a media portrayal on House or Gray's Anatomy. They need to know that you're going in with realistic expectations and that what you want out of the course aligns with the University's core values which you'll need to research on your own. This is something that you should know before any sort of medical interview, not just an MMI though this format tends to reduce interview bias (topic for another discussion). I discourage ROTE learning answers to questions though, it comes off rather fake, I'd just go with thinking about said issues and really clearing everything up in your own mind. Point is that all the interviews in all their guises really assess the same thing, just in a different way.

HSC
UNSW, you have a bit of leeway here as if you have an awesome ATAR you may be offered an interview and can get in if you do spectacularly well. here are minimum raw scores and atar you need in order to get an interview (i believe they still do predictions). cant be bothered going into how overpredicted/underpredicted ATARs work atm but just know that you can make up for it with either UMAT or ATAR.
ok so if you get an interview, does ur ATAR still come into consideration for selection? Or at that stage is everyone even and its only interview that decides who gets in?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I believe there is still some consideration given to ATAR and UMAT.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
It's ATAR + Interview Score + UMAT with each weighted at 1/3. It's on the UNSW Medfac website.

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm sure this question has been asked before but I can't find an answer so here goes. For UNSW rural medicine I need an atar of at least 91 I understand that part, what I dont understand what a combined UMAT score of 135. And what would a 135 translate to in raw marks for each section. I bought the ACER practice material and was averageing about 70% on all sections only doing about 10 questions though. So anyway my main question would an average of 70% throughout the whole test get me a combined score of 135?
Thanks

K

khorne

The acer prac paper is so easy it's not funny. Don't get over confident.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
The acer prac paper is so easy it's not funny. Don't get over confident.
This.

I got 1 question wrong in section 2, but in the actual UMAT I got 48 for section 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)