All your questions answered about UMAT (1 Viewer)

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
ok so ive seen about 50 questions about "what are my chances?" "what percentile do i need" etc etc. so here i will answer them to the best of my knowledge (keep in mind i did it a couple of years ago).

ok so i will start with the the uni i am most familiar with, Monash. if u didnt get 91 percentile minimum, kiss ur chances goodbye because thats the minimum you will probably need. its been even 93 in some years. if you dont achieve the umat, it doesnt matter how high ur atar is because the umat is the first hurdle.

UNSW, you have a bit of leeway here as if you have an awesome ATAR you may be offered an interview and can get in if you do spectacularly well. here are minimum raw scores and atar you need in order to get an interview (i believe they still do predictions). cant be bothered going into how overpredicted/underpredicted ATARs work atm but just know that you can make up for it with either UMAT or ATAR.

Newcastle, same system as monash. Umat is the first hurdle but the cutoff is SLIGHTLY lower usually about 90 or just below.

UWS, same system with the umat as the first hurdle. they half ur s3 mark and then add it to ur s1 and 2. so technically you can get in with a lower umat if you did well in s1/2 but flunked s3. if you live in the GWS area the cutoff for you i much lower.

UQ. easy system to understand, basically you need 99atar (bonus points readily available for those who do 4u maths, uni enrichment course, 2nd language etc) and then everyone is ranked on their umat scores. in the past people have gotten in with umat scores of 160 raw.
EDIT: i believe it has gone up since then. im guessing about 170 or 175 these days.

adelaide, same process. umat hurdle (not as high as newcastle or monash) 85% or so (lower if you're from SA).

USyd, for those who get 99.95. just turn up to the interview and you're in.

JCU, dont need umat. just make sure your application is spectacular and you will get an interview. ace the interview. but remember ur going to be in townsville for 6 years.

UWA, UTAS (no idea about either of these, look it up)

Last edited:

b0redAsian

HSC
JCU, dont need umat. just make sure your application is spectacular and you will get an interview. ace the interview. but remember ur going to be in townsville for 6 years.
What criteria do they look at then? im currently a first year uni student. Would JCU look at my GPA performance as well this year?

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
What criteria do they look at then? im currently a first year uni student. Would JCU look at my GPA performance as well this year?
application, grades and interview. im not sure if they accept non-standard applicants. im not sure how JCU weights GPA/ATAR, should look it up.

J

jhealy

How do the bonus mark work

eg. 4U Maths, 2nd language, Chemistry

If u get band 6 in those subject?

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
How do the bonus mark work

eg. 4U Maths, 2nd language, Chemistry

If u get band 6 in those subject?
if u do a second language or do 4U maths. you automatically get 2 bonus points each for those. so u only need 95ATAR to meet the criteria. doesnt matter how well u perform in those subjects. its a joke, i know.

b0redAsian

HSC
application, grades and interview. im not sure if they accept non-standard applicants. im not sure how JCU weights GPA/ATAR, should look it up.
ahh thanks man. Yeah ill give it a go

Anyone looked into NZ and Malaysia med schools ?
im considering all my options lol.

zando6

HSC
ok so ive seen about 50 questions about "what are my chances?" "what percentile do i need" etc etc. so here i will answer them to the best of my knowledge (keep in mind i did it a couple of years ago).

ok so i will start with the the uni i am most familiar with, Monash. if u didnt get 91 percentile minimum, kiss ur chances goodbye because thats the minimum you will probably need. its been even 93 in some years. if you dont achieve the umat, it doesnt matter how high ur atar is because the umat is the first hurdle.

UNSW, you have a bit of leeway here as if you have an awesome ATAR you may be offered an interview and can get in if you do spectacularly well. here are minimum raw scores and atar you need in order to get an interview (i believe they still do predictions). cant be bothered going into how overpredicted/underpredicted ATARs work atm but just know that you can make up for it with either UMAT or ATAR.

Newcastle, same system as monash. Umat is the first hurdle but the cutoff is SLIGHTLY lower usually about 90 or just below.

UWS, same system with the umat as the first hurdle. they half ur s3 mark and then add it to ur s1 and 2. so technically you can get in with a lower umat if you did well in s1/2 but flunked s3. if you live in the GWS area the cutoff for you i much lower.

UQ. easy system to understand, basically you need 99atar (bonus points readily available for those who do 4u maths, uni enrichment course, 2nd language etc) and then everyone is ranked on their umat scores. in the past people have gotten in with umat scores of 160 raw.
EDIT: i believe it has gone up since then. im guessing about 170 or 175 these days.

adelaide, same process. umat hurdle (not as high as newcastle or monash) 85% or so (lower if you're from SA).

USyd, for those who get 99.95. just turn up to the interview and you're in.

UWA, UTAS (no idea about either of these, look it up)
could you provide links to these info if you can, that would be greatly appreciated, can't seem to find them on their respective sites. I never knew of the UWS and Newcastle procedures until now, thanks man!

b0redAsian

HSC
What are the procedures in applying into QLD universities i.e. JCU ? is it QTAC by memory?

HSC
Uni Grad
read this on MSO

this year for UNE/UNCLE the cutoff is 50/50/50 in each section, then they rank you only on section 1 scores

HSC
Uni Grad
anyway, what are my chances for uws med with a weighted score of 142?

i'd be a GWS applicant, last year's cutoff for GWS was 138.5 iirc :/

what are my chances for an interview?

Vidhya

HSC
I did terribly, below 50 percentile. I'm confident I can do really well in the HSC, but should I even bother applying to UNSW/UWS/Monash etc? Hate the UMAT. :T

michaeljennings

HSC
What atar would i need to do med at James Cook?

Assuming the rest of my application is satisfactory or is it jsut the overall impression of your application

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
could you provide links to these info if you can, that would be greatly appreciated, can't seem to find them on their respective sites. I never knew of the UWS and Newcastle procedures until now, thanks man!
I'm just going by memory for all of them. If u want specific links the uni website would be the way to go. They might not reveal cutoffs though.

What are the procedures in applying into QLD universities i.e. JCU ? is it QTAC by memory?
u gotta put an application in via qtac and then put another seperate one in for jcu (heaps of stuff to write).

I did terribly, below 50 percentile. I'm confident I can do really well in the HSC, but should I even bother applying to UNSW/UWS/Monash etc? Hate the UMAT. :T
Unfortunately that isn't enough for anywhere. I would recommend applying for jcu since they don't look at ur at score since that's ur only option atm.

anyway, what are my chances for uws med with a weighted score of 142?

i'd be a GWS applicant, last year's cutoff for GWS was 138.5 iirc :/

what are my chances for an interview?
Pretty high. And u will probably also get one for unsw as well provided ur atar is good.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Does the interview count as well? Or is that just more of a formality?
They say it does, but I'm petty sure if u dont do/say anything stupid ur in. There aren't that many who get 99.95 in the first place so they can't be too picky. It's basically to weed out psychopaths.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
They say it does, but I'm petty sure if u dont do/say anything stupid ur in. There aren't that many who get 99.95 in the first place so they can't be too picky. It's basically to weed out psychopaths.
And hardly 1/3 of the 99.95 students will want to do Medicine, or attend USyd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)