Alternate Pathway To Physiotherapy? (1 Viewer)

Essay Questions

HSC
Hey guys I'm really keen on doing Physio, but to be honest the ATAR cut off of 98.35 at USYD seems a bit unreasonable for me. I'm probs only going to be able to achieve around a 96, so I was wondering what other pathways are there for getting into Physio?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Go CSU @ 89atar or
Uni of Newcastle @ 95.10

Then maybe try for a transfer?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys I'm really keen on doing Physio, but to be honest the ATAR cut off of 98.35 at USYD seems a bit unreasonable for me. I'm probs going to be able to achieve around a 96, so I was wondering what other pathways are there for getting into Physio?
If you are keen, you should stop your negative self talk saying you are probably ONLY going to be able to achieved around a 96. You've got three more terms to go, that is, given there is at least 3-4 assessment tasks left for each subject, and given you will be doing a minimum of around 5 subjects, so you will get at least 15-20 more opportunities to excel, earn maximum internal rank, and perform well in external HSC exam to earn your DESIRED ATAR. Don't restrict your capabilities at the start of the year-if you improve bit by bit-set short term and long term goals-it is possible. Don't be complacent at the start of the year in knowing the back ups in case you failed.

Give it your 100% at aim for your ATAR goal by studying smart and hard and above all, studying consistently throughout the year, ask questions, seek feedback, practice, repeat this process as many times as you can. Only consider alternatives if you don't manage to achieve it at the end of the year-which you should only be seeking after you get your ATAR. Stop hypothesising failure, stop worrying and speculating, stop researching alternate options, and START STUDYING to maximise your chance of getting STRAIGHT into USYD-anything is possible if you set your heart to it and you take all actions possible to make it a reality. Hope this helps and I really wish you will try your best-don't give up until the last second of your HSC exam-I have faith you can do it-you must have faith in yourself. All the best for this year-remember you are the only one empowered to make your dreams come true:)

Recondit

ヽ(" `Д´)ノ
HSC
- You could apply for EAS later in the year which would place you in a separate pool of candidates below the cut-off
- See if you are applicable for Flexible Entry Scheme which allows entry for people up to 5 points below cut-off (I think this applies only if positions are still vacant)
- Hopefully the cut-off decreases
- I dont know much about internal transfers and such but apparently it will be extremely difficult to gain a position via B. Hlth Sci
- There are other unis, a notable one is UWS (2013 98.50) where there is a dual degree of B. Hlth Sci and M. Physio and if you are applicable for the Regional bonus point scheme you gain 5 points automatically making the cut-off certainly seem achievable by your standards

Ofc these are just some backup options

Essay Questions

HSC
If you are keen, you should stop your negative self talk saying you are probably ONLY going to be able to achieved around a 96. You've got three more terms to go, that is, given there is at least 3-4 assessment tasks left for each subject, and given you will be doing a minimum of around 5 subjects, so you will get at least 15-20 more opportunities to excel, earn maximum internal rank, and perform well in external HSC exam to earn your DESIRED ATAR. Don't restrict your capabilities at the start of the year-if you improve bit by bit-set short term and long term goals-it is possible. Don't be complacent at the start of the year in knowing the back ups in case you failed.

Give it your 100% at aim for your ATAR goal by studying smart and hard and above all, studying consistently throughout the year, ask questions, seek feedback, practice, repeat this process as many times as you can. Only consider alternatives if you don't manage to achieve it at the end of the year-which you should only be seeking after you get your ATAR. Stop hypothesising failure, stop worrying and speculating, stop researching alternate options, and START STUDYING to maximise your chance of getting STRAIGHT into USYD-anything is possible if you set your heart to it and you take all actions possible to make it a reality. Hope this helps and I really wish you will try your best-don't give up until the last second of your HSC exam-I have faith you can do it-you must have faith in yourself. All the best for this year-remember you are the only one empowered to make your dreams come true:)
Thanks for those motivational words! Yeah I guess I sound like I've quite already, but I'm definitely going to put my head down (especially these hols) but first assesments have been a bit of a set back, and I just wanted to know I had some safety nets and not stress about this at a later time when I should be stressing about the HSC haha

madharris

HSC
N/A
- Transfer from health science
- Transfer from exercise sport science or exercise physiology
- Transfer from occupational therapy (or you could stay in OT :) )
- Do physio as a postgraduate degree instead of undergraduate
- Do physio somewhere else other than usyd
- Do a related course at another uni and transfer to physio (at that uni or Sydney)

Mind you, all these ways are extremely difficult and won't guarantee you a position in a physio course

If you want to look at bonus points at usyd
Look up EAP, EAS and flexible entry to see if your eligible for any of them

Good luck :)

madharris

HSC
N/A
- Transfer from health science
- Transfer from exercise sport science or exercise physiology
- Transfer from occupational therapy (or you could stay in OT :) )
- Do physio as a postgraduate degree instead of undergraduate
- Do physio somewhere else other than usyd
- Do a related course at another uni and transfer to physio (at that uni or Sydney)

Mind you, all these ways are extremely difficult and won't guarantee you a position in a physio course

If you want to look at bonus points at usyd
Look up EAP, EAS and flexible entry to see if your eligible for any of them

Good luck :)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Can't you do a major in BSc called health science or physiology?

madharris

HSC
N/A
Can't you do a major in BSc called health science or physiology?
There is no health science major in BSc, although there is a physiology one.
However this does not allow you to get the qualifications to practice as a physiotherapist
Also, doing a health related degree is probably more beneficial if you're wishing to transfer as you're basically doing the same subjects anyway, meaning that you can apply for credit for those subjects.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
hmm UNI of newcastle 95.1 is not a bad choice then.

williamdaft

HSC
My friend wants to do Physio and got 92 atar, he's trying for university of canberra.

I also have another friend who does physio at newcastle, its quite good.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Is usyd best?
With physiotherapy, it doesn't really matter what course you do as long as it's recognised by the australian physiotherapy association.
All of the unis that offer physio probably have difference strengths and weaknesses
But none of them have better job prospects or anything (as far as I know)

Medman

HSC
The only ways to change your job prospects are:

1. Be buff
2. Be a bawss (Be confident)

Friend got offered 80k+bonuses first year out with job offers from 4 different practices and he negotiated an increase in his salary. I hear other friends complaining about how hard it is to find a physiotherapist job. They get paid 45k for their first year out.

HKHSCstudent

HSC
Uni Grad
Not really, Sydney uni physio has very low employment rate. Choose Newcastle, if you are a physio student in NSW you know they have the best course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)