Am i doing something wrong? (1 Viewer)

kekeheaven

HSC
For the past month i've been trying to get a job on seek. But Not one person has replied to my application.

Is it possible that my resume has got something to do with it?

I don't really have a referee besides my year advisor because my past manager was an #$%hole to me , so i left the job without resignation.

I'm not doing well in TAFE for I've failed twice this year in a row.

Now i'm in desperate need in getting a job because i can't keep living on youth allowance , it's not enough to pay the things i need (rent , travel , personal spending).

Any feedback from you guys will be appreciated and taken into consideration.

Last edited:

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Yeah, take your resume offline. Put it back on after you've removed your personal details. Can the mods take it off for the OP until he gets back?

I can help improve the presentation of your resume though, so shoot me a pm when you get back. I'm going offline soon, if I'm not around I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Last edited:

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
First up, you definately need to work on spelling and grammar in your resume. Recruiters/employers receive a lot of resumes and those with errors will make them cringe. Go through it with a tooth and comb, there are lots of mistakes in there. Get someone to help you if you cannot see what these mistakes are.

Does anyone else put their address in their resume? I certainly did not, I don't see a need for employers to know your address until you're actually employed. I don't think you need the addresses for where you've attended TAFE or high school though, I would put instead what subjects you studied, any awards you received etc.

The dates worked in your Macdonalds section are wrong: "November 2007 to October 2007"

If you're proficient in using Word, how about using a resume templet to make yours look more professional?

I would also list your referees name and contact details (business ones only, not personal numbers/addresses).

Do you have any skills that you can market to an employer such as a drivers licence, first aid, RSA? If you do, list them! If you've had any work experience besides paid employment (such as volunteering, work experience for school, leadership programs) list that too, it shows inititative.

Hope it goes well for you.

jennieTalia

HSC
Change everything to the same formatting. If you are going to centralise it, keep it all centred. I know it pretty much is, but the second section looks central because of the way it has been arranged and the rest looks left aligned.

Start with "personal details" and take them down from your name (which should not be the heading of your Resume nor repeated on both pages. If you want to do this put your name in a footnote in small)

Get rid of the summary. They know what job you want because you are applying for it... (and hopefully supplying a cover letter)
We all know that you want a job to get paid. Cut it out.

Keep it simple. Get rid of Italics in certain sections. Keep headings all the same size. Bolding should be regular. I found it hard to recognise that "kitchen-hand" and "customer service" were part of the Maccas bit.
Rename that whole section "previous employment" rather than "work experience" as this can be misleading.

Rename the last part "Availability"
Change the second point in customer service to "deliver"
In skills no need for two "ands"

"Able TO work on..."
"2-3 weekdays during college"

Teachers, Sporting coaches and such can be used as referees.
Remember to milk your resume a little, put on other skills such as "teamwork capabilities" and stuff like that.

Not a bad effort though :)

jennieTalia

HSC
Cut it down to one page.

Get some referee's. Get some life experience, volunteer, join a club. Or just add your mates numbers and tell them to provide a reference. Hell, I'll be a reference for you- 0414334345. Richard. I was your boss when you worked for a home maintenance business. Contracting out for mowing lawns, general garden maintenance. You were a hard working and reliable employee. I favor you highly.
LOL :)
I wish I could favourite a post or something. Major lulz.

redrhino54

HSC
N/A
Get rid of the summary. Employers don't care about what you want out of the job, only what you can do for them so you could mention qualities you possess such as team player, enthusiastic etc. to fatten your resume up. Also list achievements and activites you've participated in such as sport.

kekeheaven

HSC
Cut it down to one page.

Get some referee's. Get some life experience, volunteer, join a club. Or just add your mates numbers and tell them to provide a reference. Hell, I'll be a reference for you- 0414334345. Richard. I was your boss when you worked for a home maintenance business. Contracting out for mowing lawns, general garden maintenance. You were a hard working and reliable employee. I favor you highly.
Really you would do that?:music:

Thanks for all the replies , well the resume i've posted online have fake details on it so don't worry i'm fine, But the content itself are all real.

I don't have any RSA/RCG certificates , but i plan on getting them soon , as for my references , i have my Year adviser only, but possibly i can get my Career's adviser details.

Well i'll be posting my new edited resume up , Hope we can tweak and add more things to it , thanks for all your support!

Last edited:

kekeheaven

HSC
I've updated my resume with new content , and I've removed my personal info for those who are concerned of my safety (but it was fake info anyway :p).

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I've updated my resume with new content , and I've removed my personal info for those who are concerned of my safety (but it was fake info anyway :p).
Talk yourself up more. I can't be bothered doing a proper one now (though I should, I want more work).
Also write a cover letter for each application (they will be more or less the same), but specify how your job at maccas helped you learn whatever skills they are looking for. Also if you are applying for a job at a bar/restaurant you NEED an RSA. Getting one soon isn't good enough.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Riet's resume has heaps mad formatting. Copy + paste your resume into some better formatting.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Talk yourself up more. I can't be bothered doing a proper one now (though I should, I want more work).
Also write a cover letter for each application (they will be more or less the same), but specify how your job at maccas helped you learn whatever skills they are looking for. Also if you are applying for a job at a bar/restaurant you NEED an RSA. Getting one soon isn't good enough.
Staffing Solutions Manager? what the hell kind of job title is that for somebody

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)