Am I good enough for Music Extension (1 Viewer)

evilelmo_2005

HSC
Requirement for Music Extension?

Hi I'm just a curious year 11 student who just love music and wants to do music extension. I was wondering if I can do music extension even though I'm 8th grade pianist and haven't done the AMusA yet. I also want to get into the conservatorium after HSC (if I can). Do I have to be AMusA to do extension 1 music:confused:

Last edited:

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
I don't do music ext... but I assume you don't NEED Amus to do extension... no doubt some of your competition will be, but I don't think there's anything stopping you.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I'm fairly certain you don't need it. At your level, you should be conpetent enough to do the course, especially if you commit yourself to it.

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
grades don't necessarily mean anything. i have a friend who only finished his 8th grade, and he is absolutely blitzing music extension atm; i wouldnt be surprised if he got an encore nomination!

Erotic Cakes

HSC
Re: Requirement for Music Extension?

at least you have the choice! I've done Amus and am forced into music 1! I reckon do ext, or at least music 2. 1 is just a pain in the ass for anyone who's done AMEB grades....

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC

Hi I'm just a curious year 11 student who just love music and wants to do music extension. I was wondering if I can do music extension even though I'm 8th grade pianist and haven't done the AMusA yet. I also want to get into the conservatorium after HSC (if I can). Do I have to be AMusA to do extension 1 music:confused:
I did music ext and I'm at the Con...

I was only 7th Grade at the time and got a high band E4

Did my audition to the Con the day before the 8th grade exam... and I got in.

It's fine... It's about piece choice and how hard you work at it.

evilelmo_2005

HSC

I did music ext and I'm at the Con...

I was only 7th Grade at the time and got a high band E4

Did my audition to the Con the day before the 8th grade exam... and I got in.

It's fine... It's about piece choice and how hard you work at it.
OH SHIT! did you get into the con for performance? wow what a tank, 7th grade piano getting into the con

Last edited:

Eddykungfu

HSC

at least you have the choice! I've done Amus and am forced into music 1! I reckon do ext, or at least music 2. 1 is just a pain in the ass for anyone who's done AMEB grades....

Yeah i didn't do music elective in years 9~10, so I was stuck with music 1.

Still, if you do well in it, it doesn't scale down.

HSC

nahh..eighth grade is finee

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

To do Music Extension, you need to have really mastered your instrument well enough (grades are not too important) but to play with all the elements needed. You have to have your music theory knowledge though... I believe the amount of theory and difficulty of it is at such a high standard that teachers say it competes with Extension 2 Maths.

HSC

To do Music Extension, you need to have really mastered your instrument well enough (grades are not too important) but to play with all the elements needed. You have to have your music theory knowledge though... I believe the amount of theory and difficulty of it is at such a high standard that teachers say it competes with Extension 2 Maths.[/quote]

?

you need to go check what the actual course entails

the majority do the performance elective..

"Lee-.-Roy"

HSC
I only finished 8th grade piano in yr 11, but nevertheless still picked up music ext. major in performance. I then went on and not only got 50/50 for external, but also encore nomination =).

nothing is impossible hehe.

i guess this is slightly late now

Concerti

HSC
I had a friend who was 6th grade on flute. She did performance and her HSC mark was 49/50.

I suppose this is a little late too!

typo

HSC
grade is useless
chuck it out the window

what's important
like the other have said
is HOW WELL YOU PLAY YOUR INSTRUMENT

Spirit_rider

HSC

Nope , you won't need it. i've done 8th grade piano and about to do flute, and i am in extention music. Just make sure you have all your prac up to date and your fingers don't go rusty. .. and it really depends on what part you do. Musicoloy, composition or Performance.. Just mkae sure you know waht you want so you can get started as soon as possible. i love Ext music : )

Spirit_rider

HSC
grade is useless
chuck it out the window

what's important
like the other have said
is HOW WELL YOU PLAY YOUR INSTRUMENT

Grades are important. You can't get to music 2, without Grade 6 AMEB (or trinity) and without music 2, you can't get into ext music. It's grades and knowledge.

Stevemotto

HSC

Nup music extension does not need AmusA, however it does help if you get extra experience of music dictation, pitch recognition and other skills which require an relative glide through the course. However to say the truth "ENCORE" will be a bit out of your level because performance and theory are two different things so imo (since you didn't tell us what grade you are doing for theory) you might do alright but not too well compared to other people with better experience. But doesn't mean you can't do it so GOOD LUCK!

__moonriver

HSC
I did music ext. with only 3 years experience on my instrument and having taken no AMEB exams before (except on piano, which I dropped a few years ago). I did the essay though, but nevertheless did very well. So go for it, AMEB exams is a silly way to define your worth as a musician. What matters is passion, precision and and determination.

A warning though: Even though I did better in music ext. than music 2, music 2 ended up counting while music ext. didn't. All my other subjects were pretty highly scaled but still, to have music ext. scale lower than music 2 is a bit of a joke. So my advice is to do it if you want to pursue music after the HSC, because you learn a lot and it really helps with music 2. But don't do it for a higher ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)