Ambition HAS ARRIVED! (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Re: Barbecue
I'd like to help out with this if you're thinking of holding it in late January. I get back from the Phils (and Monash) on the 8th, so send me email or something if you want me at the hotplate or something. :)
Originally posted by SuPeRaM
(see above)
Look, I'm not an admin but I doubt they'll disagree with this. Yes, the whole point of ambition is to celebrate the end of the HSC, what we've been steered towards for 13 years. However, you must understand that the majority of students simply refuse to attend an event if they are not able to exercise their newly earned right to consume alcohol. It is unfair to those who can not come because of this, but the plain truth it that we want as many HSC graduates as possible to attend the event and enjoy it, and this means that we have to make a choice. To have drinks but no younguns, or to have no drinks and all ages. Ideally we would choose all ages, but it was made very clear that most members would think twice about going if there were to be no alcohol. Believe me, I know where you are coming from in this matter, but I don't think the admins made the wrong choice. They have, again, simply fulfilled the wishes of members.

Winston

HSC
-------------------->>> r e a d t h i s p p l <<<------------------------
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

maaaan i just found out ambition was 18+ and bloody oaf that sux hardcore... it just burns me how this whole thing was built up on the "after HSC party" theme and most of my friends and i aren't even 18 til next yr (april for me). i know with all the legal issues and crap IT ISNT POSSIBLE... i get it.... its just that the accumulation of excitement just shut down. prity SH*T.

in terms of maturity... i think it shud just be yr 12's no matter what age... aslong as ur a graduate of 2003.

the way i c it... amobition has just turned into a club. and thats bull. its the envent for HSC skool leavers. nothing less and nothing more. i say ambition shud go ahead... 17+ or 16+ watever... with NO ALCHOHOL. if u wanna drink up go to a fricken club. thats wat i think... one night with all ur mates and celebrating the one thing we all hav in common... "SCHOOL IS OVER" tops one night of gettin shit faced coz everyone will be on a natural high!... everyday b4 that and after it drink to ur hearts content i say...

so the punch line. you bored of studies organisers SCREWED UP COMPLETELY.... and lost the main fricken point of the ambition party and purpose. good work guys. and all u 18+ yr olds hav fun at a party that wont even come close to the REAL clubs out there.

the whole thing is just wrong.

well? does the bored of studies crew wanna gimmy some comments on what i sed? or anyone else for that matter...?

P.S. im just taking the fair approach to the whole event and thinking about the bottom line (incase u missed reading the essence of my whole discussion).

I duno about this, but no alcohol at the event wouldnt be a too much of a bad idea but then again im sure most 18'ers wants a little drinking here and there... don't blame the admins, Ambition is kinda like a fresh project this yr, and u cant satisfy everyone, but i wouldnt mind seeing everyone from BOS come as well.

marko

Superam makes a good point. I was pretty disappointed when i found out it was over 18's, when else will people that are under 17 be able to go to an 'end of high school forever' dance event? We have barely anywhere to go as it is! possibly keep it in mind for next year, even if you scrap the alcohol (coming from an alcoholic) im sure youll get a good turnout. thanks for trying anyway BoS head honcho's :D have a good night everyone thats going!
cheers

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Hmmm, i'll still be 17, but i'm not too disappointed. Saves me having to find a paper bag and making air holes to hide my face because so many people hate me lately! But yeah, as marko said, have a good time.

staree

HSC
N/A
-------------------->>> r e a d t h i s p p l <<<------------------------
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i know with all the legal issues and crap IT ISNT POSSIBLE... i get it.... its just that the accumulation of excitement just shut down. prity SH*T.

so the punch line. you bored of studies organisers SCREWED UP COMPLETELY.... and lost the main fricken point of the ambition party and purpose. good work guys. and all u 18+ yr olds hav fun at a party that wont even come close to the REAL clubs out there.

the whole thing is just wrong.

P.S. im just taking the fair approach to the whole event and thinking about the bottom line (incase u missed reading the essence of my whole discussion).
fair enough you are angry and disappointed, but try to put yourself in the shoes of the organisors. it is incredibly hard to organise this event. Considering they first created bored of studies for you, and now organising an event that you guys can celebrate, show some common courtesy please....
they tried to find a place for all ages, no venue in sydney that can hold that many people would agree to it.

i remember during O Week at UNSW i found out Spiderbait was performing only to realise a few nights before it that it was an over 18 event.... and yea i was angry and disappointed but i understood the position they were in.

bottom line is, if you think you can organise it better or have any suggestions for improvement, do it in a civil way rather than attacking those who have tried to do nothing but help you guys all year.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
YAY! *throws confetti*

Errr, yes, I'll be going .. if I manage to walk all the way Oxford St (go the out-of-the-way-ticket-places ;)) .. errr yes.

Go me.

and yes, stop whining .. we were all under 18 once, so i dont think we're hearing anything new .. :p

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Originally posted by staree
fair enough you are angry and disappointed, but try to put yourself in the shoes of the organisors. it is incredibly hard to organise this event. Considering they first created bored of studies for you, and now organising an event that you guys can celebrate, show some common courtesy please....
they tried to find a place for all ages, no venue in sydney that can hold that many people would agree to it.

i remember during O Week at UNSW i found out Spiderbait was performing only to realise a few nights before it that it was an over 18 event.... and yea i was angry and disappointed but i understood the position they were in.

bottom line is, if you think you can organise it better or have any suggestions for improvement, do it in a civil way rather than attacking those who have tried to do nothing but help you guys all year.
Here here Starlee. Well said.

krissy7685

Well i doubt very much im going because its on a thursday nite.. and i have no way of getting home and im NOT getting on a train by myself at 3am.. considering all my girlfriends live on different train lines.. and my boyfriend has to work on friday so there goes that!!!!

monopoly19

HSC
I know its been said before, but I just wanted to add my disappointment to the list. I thought the party was a great idea, but it turns out to be one huge friggin' anti climax. Yes, it's been hard to organise...blah blah blah... but at the moment I don't really care about that, because all you've done now is successfully managed to alienate (and anger) a large proportion of those who wanted to attend.

Thanks for nothing, d*ckheads.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by monopoly19
I know its been said before, but I just wanted to add my disappointment to the list. I thought the party was a great idea, but it turns out to be one huge friggin' anti climax. Yes, it's been hard to organise...blah blah blah... but at the moment I don't really care about that, because all you've done now is successfully managed to alienate (and anger) a large proportion of those who wanted to attend.

Thanks for nothing, d*ckheads.
I know you're angry, but don't swear and direct them at the organisers, the admins have did their best, if you can't find a better place in the city that can cater for Under 18's and Over 18's at the same time, you shouldn't really be talking.

monopoly19

HSC
Originally posted by Winston
I know you're angry, but don't swear and direct them at the organisers, the admins have did their best, if you can't find a better place in the city that can cater for Under 18's and Over 18's at the same time, you shouldn't really be talking.
The thing is, it has only recently become an exclusive over 18's party, after months of discussion. Way to disappoint people.

Winston

HSC
The thing is, it has only recently become an exclusive over 18's party, after months of discussion. Way to disappoint people.
Well i mean it really isn't their fault the venues rejected catering for under 18's, you gotta understand they're just hiring a venue out, the venue has it's own rules.

monopoly19

HSC
Well i mean it really isn't their fault the venues rejected catering for under 18's, you gotta understand they're just hiring a venue out, the venue has it's own rules.
I get that, I really do, but it doesn't make me resent them any less for not finding someplace that would cater to our needs. And before you ask, I don't have any alternative venues, but I also wasn't the one who promoted the party as a Bored of Studies post-HSC party, only to suddenly exclude a sh*tload of those who were looking forward to going. Maybe earlier discretion would have been the key.

Winston

HSC
I get that, I really do, but it doesn't make me resent them any less for not finding someplace that would cater to our needs. And before you ask, I don't have any alternative venues, but I also wasn't the one who promoted the party as a Bored of Studies post-HSC party, only to suddenly exclude a sh*tload of those who were looking forward to going. Maybe earlier discretion would have been the key.
I Absolutely understand how you feel, although i am 18 now, i wanted some of my friends going but they're under 18, but so? Have you stood in the position of the Admins, they're all Uni students, who do have lives, first of all you gotta thank them for such a layed back environment, i.e. the forums, and all these resources, all this hardwork isn't something they did for fun, but rather for many peoples sake, and plus added on they wanted majority of students to have a good break, and thus making a end of year HSC party, but hey! there isn't many places in the City large enough to cater for so many people and also such a varied age groups, furthermore the Admins are too in exam mode, i know that Laz has got like an exam left, what do you want them doing? give up studies and hunt a venue down, Ambition is a first time thing ever anyways, i'm sure by next year after seeing it will be such a big success this year, numerous venues will contact BOS to offer a good place. Enough said, the Admins have did their best job, and i appreciate it very much.

Huy

HSC
N/A
* Polls
* Threads

Everything was on the table, laid out for you. Perhaps they tried to find a place which could cater for your needs, but there weren't any available. Here's a task for you: find a place which will cater for both under and over 18s, preferrably allowing alcohol consumption, and a crowd of 1000+ (if not more). BOS did promote the party as an end-of-year celebration (party), but there would always be people who cannot attend, through no fault of their own. I do understand that you were 'hyped up' about the party, but don't let that dampen your spirits (and I can see that you're down about it, of course).

Ambition isn't the be all and end all of post-HSC celebrations, it is just one night. The team have tried to cater for everybody, but it wasn't to be. That's just how it is, plain and simple.

monopoly19

HSC
Enough said, the Admins have did their best job, and i appreciate it very much.
Yeah, well if they let me in to the venue then I could thank them personally :)

Seriously though, I agree that the forums/website/resources are great, and I am appreciative of what they've created. I think the fact that people are annoyed that they can't go shows that (in a round-a-bout kinda way). Doesn't mean I'm not p*ssed off.

Give me 'til tomorrow and I'll be over it.

Last edited:

Winston

HSC
Yeah, well if they let me in to the venue then I could thank them personally :)

Seriously though, I agree that the forums/website/resources are great, and I am appreciative of what they've created. I think the fact that people are annoyed that they can't go shows that (in a round-a-bout kinda way). Doesn't mean I'm not p*ssed off at the organisers though.
Well if you're so persistent with that thought, i can't change it, all i need to say is, what ever can be done by the Admins, is done, they've did their best, if you don't like it, then keep it to yourself don't offend the Admins, they don't deserve all this hardwork with a end result of being castigated like that. Look on the bright side of things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)