American Imperialism - A list of American Imperialism (1 Viewer)

euripidies

For those who do not know what Imperialism is, here is a short definition provided by dictionary.com

imperialism n. The policy, practice, or advocacy of seeking, or acquiescing in, the extension of the control, dominion, or empire of a nation, as by the acquirement of new, esp. distant, territory or dependencies, or by the closer union of parts more or less independent of each other for operations of war, copyright, internal commerce, etc.

Shortly put, that means a nation state trying to extend its control or influence over an area or country, in aggresive diplomacy, or direct military invasion.

I would also like to note that the countries here are only those affected negatively by imperialism and also, that I have only listed countries that were directly affected by imperialism, this includes;
Installing puppet leaders, squashing of a coup , assasination of a leader, helping a coup against a leader, spreading of propaganda and trade blockades
So most , (if not all) of the countries listed will have had one or more of the previous actions inflicted upon them by the United States of America.

GREECE 1947-49
Supports and directs extreme right in civil war.

PHILIPPINES 1948-54
CIA directs war against leftist Huk Rebellion.

PUERTO RICO 1950
Nationalist insurrection challenges American occupation; US command operation puts down rebellion.

KOREAN WAR 1950-53
Joins South Korea and other allies to fight China and North Korea.

IRAN 1953
CIA directs overthrow of elected left-leaning government, installs Shah.

GUATEMALA 1954
CIA directs exile invasion and overthrow of leftist government; military junta installed.

LEBANON 1958
US occupation ends under UN Observer Group.

VIETNAM WAR 1960-75
Fought South Vietnam rebels and North Vietnam forces; 1-2 million killed.

CUBA 1961
CIA-directed "Bay of Pigs" invasion.

LAOS 1962
Green Berets active in training, military buildup, support of rightist forces during guerrilla war.

PANAMA 1964
Control of Panama Canal Zone challenged; rioting against US forces.

INDONESIA 1965
Army coup assisted to an unknown degree by CIA; left-leaning elected government toppled; between 250,000 to 1,000,000 lives lost.

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 1965-66
Troops invade during election as pre-emptive action against leftist rebellion or communist government.

GUATEMALA 1966-67
Command operation; Green Berets aid in combat against leftist rebels.

CAMBODIA 1969-75
War against leftist forces; intense bombing; up to 2 million killed.

OMAN 1970
US directs Iranian invasion in support of Omani government against Marxist "Dhufar rebellion."

LAOS 1971-73
US directs South Vietnamese invasion.

CHILE 1973
CIA-backed coup ousts elected leftist president; rightist dictator installed.

ANGOLA 1976-92
CIA assists South African-backed rebels.

EL SALVADOR 1981-92
Advisors aid government forces against leftist rebels.

NICARAGUA 1981-90
US directs guerrilla exile invasion ("Contra war") against revolutionary government; US forces plant mines.

LEBANON 1982-84
Marines help police negotiated evacuation of Palestine Liberation Organization; US forces combat Muslim and Syrian fighters in support of Christian government.

HONDURAS 1983-89
Military bases established for US-backed "Contra war" with Nicaragua.

GRENADA 1983-84
US troops topple pro-Cuban government.

LIBYA 1986
Air strikes against nationalist government with terrorist links.

BOLIVIA 1986
Operation Blast Furnace; US troops and Bolivian police face peasant resistance in cocaine-producing regions.

IRAN 1987-88
Intervention on side of Iraq in war against Iran.

U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS 1989
Troops restore order after civil unrest spurred by Hurricane Hugo.

PHILIPPINES 1989
Armed US aircraft support constitutional government against failed coup.

PANAMA 1989-90
Nationalist government ousted by 27,000 US soldiers; more than 2,000 people killed.

GULF WAR 1990-
Operation Desert Storm drives Iraq out of Kuwait; 200,000+ killed. No-fly zone ongoing; periodic bombing.

SOMALIA 1992-94
US-led United Nations occupation during civil war.

YUGOSLAVIA 1992-94
US troops in NATO operation to enforce sanctions against Serbia and Montenegro.

BOSNIA 1993-95
Operation Deny Flight patrols civil war no-fly zone; air combat, Serbs bombed.

HAITI 1994-96
Troops restore elected leftist president to office three years after coup.

CROATIA 1995
American and NATO forces attack Bosnian Serb airfields prior to Croatian offensive.

SUDAN 1998
Pharmaceutical factory with terrorist links bombed; retaliation for terrorist attacks on US embassies in Africa.

AFGHANISTAN 1998
Bombing of Islamic fundamentalist military camps; retaliation for terrorist attacks on US embassies in Africa.

YUGOSLAVIA 1999
US aircraft play the key role in heavy NATO air strikes against Serbian forces in Kosovo.

COLOMBIA 2000
Special Forces train anti-narcotics and anti-rebel battalions, supply combat aircraft.

MACEDONIA 2001
US forces in NATO's Operation Essential Harvest partially disarm Albanian rebels.

AFGHANISTAN 2001
In retaliation for terrorist attacks in US, forces attempt ouster of Afghanistan's Taliban government, attack bases linked to Islamic militant Osama bin Laden.

IRAQ- we all know this one

euripidies

i got my information from a differnet source but just leting people know thats all. my opinion on Imperialism its wrong.

hatty

Banned
"VIETNAM WAR 1960-75
Fought South Vietnam rebels and North Vietnam forces; 1-2 million killed. "

I dont recall America fighting any South Vietnamese, werent they allies?

"LAOS 1971-73
US directs South Vietnamese invasion. "
South Vietnam never invaded Laos, nor vice versa.

what else is wrong on ur modified list?

euripidies

"Fought South Vietnam rebels and North Vietnam forces; 1-2 million killed."
that was the quote, it didnt say fighting south government troops did it? south vietnam rebels, ever heard of the Viet cong

Last edited:

hatty

Banned
the "Viet Cong"?, i have.
they were from originally the north that immigrated down to the south, and acted like they were south natives that were rebelling against the government, hence changing world and domestic support of the south government.

euripidies

and before that

"LAOS 1962
Green Berets active in training, military buildup, support of rightist forces during guerrilla war."

looks like laos got alot of crap done to them, not to mention the bombing.

hatty

Banned
Originally posted by euripidies
in the link you posted

"LAOS 1971-73
US directs South Vietnamese invasion."
that link i posted is anti-american propaganda that only acts to be factual.

some examples

it has NEVER been proven that the US government plotted to kill
the President of South Vietnam Ngo Dinh Diem. Furthermore, a South Vietnamese general claimed responsibility.

Che Guevara was not killed by the US, they were killed by Government forces of Bolivia.

euripidies

IRAN 1953
CIA directs overthrow of elected left-leaning government, installs Shah.

INDONESIA 1965
Army coup assisted to an unknown degree by CIA; left-leaning elected government toppled; between 250,000 to 1,000,000 lives lost.

CHILE 1973
CIA-backed coup ousts elected leftist president; rightist dictator installed.

Turkey
By means of repetitive coups the US-backed army has ousted the democratically elected parties for several times.

The US in many other countries support the dictator regimes, such as Saudi Arabia.

Some other US interventions:

GREECE 1947-49
Supports and directs extreme right in civil war.

PHILIPPINES 1948-54
CIA directs war against leftist Huk Rebellion.

PUERTO RICO 1950
Nationalist insurrection challenges American occupation; US command operation puts down rebellion.

KOREAN WAR 1950-53
Joins South Korea and other allies to fight China and North Korea.

GUATEMALA 1954
CIA directs exile invasion and overthrow of leftist government; military junta installed.

LEBANON 1958
US occupation ends under UN Observer Group.

VIETNAM WAR 1960-75
Fought South Vietnam rebels and North Vietnam forces; 1-2 million killed.

CUBA 1961
CIA-directed "Bay of Pigs" invasion.

LAOS 1962
Green Berets active in training, military buildup, support of rightist forces during guerrilla war.

PANAMA 1964
Control of Panama Canal Zone challenged; rioting against US forces.

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 1965-66
Troops invade during election as pre-emptive action against leftist rebellion or communist government.

GUATEMALA 1966-67
Command operation; Green Berets aid in combat against leftist rebels.

CAMBODIA 1969-75
War against leftist forces; intense bombing; up to 2 million killed.

OMAN 1970
US directs Iranian invasion in support of Omani government against Marxist "Dhufar rebellion."

LAOS 1971-73
US directs South Vietnamese invasion.

ANGOLA 1976-92
CIA assists South African-backed rebels.

EL SALVADOR 1981-92
Advisors aid government forces against leftist rebels.

NICARAGUA 1981-90
US directs guerrilla exile invasion ("Contra war") against revolutionary government; US forces plant mines.

LEBANON 1982-84
Marines help police negotiated evacuation of Palestine Liberation Organization; US forces combat Muslim and Syrian fighters in support of Christian government.

HONDURAS 1983-89
Military bases established for US-backed "Contra war" with Nicaragua.

GRENADA 1983-84
US troops topple pro-Cuban government.

LIBYA 1986
Air strikes against nationalist government with terrorist links.

BOLIVIA 1986
Operation Blast Furnace; US troops and Bolivian police face peasant resistance in cocaine-producing regions.

IRAN 1987-88
Intervention on side of Iraq in war against Iran.

U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS 1989
Troops restore order after civil unrest spurred by Hurricane Hugo.

PHILIPPINES 1989
Armed US aircraft support constitutional government against failed coup.

PANAMA 1989-90
Nationalist government ousted by 27,000 US soldiers; more than 2,000 people killed.

GULF WAR 1990-
Operation Desert Storm drives Iraq out of Kuwait; 200,000+ killed. No-fly zone ongoing; periodic bombing.

SOMALIA 1992-94
US-led United Nations occupation during civil war.

YUGOSLAVIA 1992-94
US troops in NATO operation to enforce sanctions against Serbia and Montenegro.

BOSNIA 1993-95
Operation Deny Flight patrols civil war no-fly zone; air combat, Serbs bombed.

CROATIA 1995
American and NATO forces attack Bosnian Serb airfields prior to Croatian offensive.

SUDAN 1998
Pharmaceutical factory bombed; retaliation for terrorist attacks on US embassies in Africa.

AFGHANISTAN 1998
Bombing of Islamic fundamentalist military camps; retaliation for terrorist attacks on US embassies in Africa.

YUGOSLAVIA 1999
US aircraft play the key role in heavy NATO air strikes against Serbian forces in Kosovo.

COLOMBIA 2000
Special Forces anti-rebel battalions, supply combat aircraft.

MACEDONIA 2001
US forces in NATO's Operation Essential Harvest partially disarm Albanian rebels.

AFGHANISTAN 2001
In retaliation for terrorist attacks in US, forces attempt ouster of Afghanistan's Taliban government, attack bases linked to Islamic militant Osama bin Laden.

thats the list hatty was talking about

euripidies

"Che Guevara was not killed by the US, they were killed by Government forces of Bolivia."

i didnt say anything about Ernesto, the CIA was there and they did help the bolivian forces find him.

and for me spelling viet cong wrong get over it.

More importantly, why should we care?

Because the US government is 'interfering' in the affairs of other states? Well, if that's a bad thing, I guess we should just stop all foreign aid, foreign consultation, aid programs, humanitarian missions etc. - I mean, we wouldn't want to interfere!

And, I mean, how DARE America remove the Taliban from power and attempt to hunt down Osama bin Laden :rolleyes:

euriphidies: From you referring to the "Viet com", I have assumed you are a person of either exceedingly low intelligence and/or extremely ignorant to foreign affairs. As such, I don't really feel it would be beneficial to point out the absurdity of your claim. Therefore, if you wish for me to respond to your idiotic claims, you should post CONCLUSIVE PROOF (i.e. not "Oh no! My brother enforced Florida state law! What a nerve!") that I 'rigged' the 2000 Presidental election.

euripidies

i think we should be asking why did they help out osama bin laden and the taliban in the first place. i mean all the problems there having now they started. so was 11/9 bad yes it was but who coursed? the USA did.

Last edited:
Ooooh, the United States caused the September 11th terrorist attacks! What will he do for his next trick?

And assuming you're not a complete moron (although I have my doubts), you'd know that America provided assistance to Afghanistan when the Soviets invaded (i.e. tried to prevent imperialism which you are so critical of).

a) It's Moore.
b) Micheal Moore is an entertainer - what he says should not be considered accurate political comment, and members from both sides of politics agree.
c) Micheal Moore's work is full of lies, mistruths and misleading presentation.

If you wish to see some of the factual errors, they are detailed on the impartial site located here: http://www.spinsanity.org/topics/#MichaelMoore.

If you think it's some sort of Republican site, a quick check of the front page mentions a book written by the authors of the site. The brief synopsis is:
All the President's Spin will provide the definitive non-partisan account of the Bush administration's unrelenting dishonesty about public policy. The book will demonstrate how the White House has broken new ground in using misleading sales tactics to promote its policies and manipulate the media.

In other words, Micheal Moore is not a credible source of information, and most would consider you an extremist leftist for referring to him.

euripidies

Originally posted by George W. Bush
Ooooh, the United States caused the September 11th terrorist attacks! What will he do for his next trick?

And assuming you're not a complete moron (although I have my doubts), you'd know that America provided assistance to Afghanistan when the Soviets invaded (i.e. tried to prevent imperialism which you are so critical of).
i know what they were doing, i didnt say if i felt it was right or wrong though they did set up these groups that have come back to bit them in the bum. All I was showing was the course and effect that the USA is leading

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)