An alternative choice - UWS Law (1 Viewer)

pottsy44

HSC
LaraB said:
really? that's interesting... what class was that for?

just curious since i remember Tracey and Tim both saying how much better behaved their night classes were lol... as did my business lecturers... maybe they just got good ones or maybe you just copped a crappy one
better behaved? definately

harder working? it depends on the type of person. coming to uni after work is not fun, you are usually tired and just want to go home and sleep.

aussiechica7

HSC
i have an aunty who studied law at uws, had work experience at the dpp, worked really hard there, and is now a lawyer with the dpp. once ur actually there, nobody cares which uni u went to (kind of like, once u get into uni, nobody cares which high school u went 2). so uws law is a good option if u don't get into unsw law, etc.

*sasha*

HSC
i know someone from baulko who got 97.5 and he loves it. it was his first preference coz the location was convenient and he liked the atmosphere. im a baulko student too and it was my first choice as well but thats more coz i didnt do too well uai-wise. but i do love it there and i probably would have gone there anyway unless i got a uai of 97+ and could have gotten into one of the inner city unis.
and yes i know im bumping this topic heaps but whatever :p

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
*sasha* said:
i know someone from baulko who got 97.5 and he loves it. it was his first preference coz the location was convenient and he liked the atmosphere. im a baulko student too and it was my first choice as well but thats more coz i didnt do too well uai-wise. but i do love it there and i probably would have gone there anyway unless i got a uai of 97+ and could have gotten into one of the inner city unis.
and yes i know im bumping this topic heaps but whatever :p
To my suprise I really like UWS law at the moment (yes i've only been there 1 week with 4 law seminars but i like it:)) The teachers have been great and not a bore....the class rooms for the seminars are great (the new building is great) and theres heaps of nice people:)

I haven't seen you around at all, sasha...how are u finding it so far?

Last edited:

*sasha*

HSC
^ yeah i like it. i already have a presentation due this wednesday so thats annoying me. and i didnt realise there was so much reading involved! but yeah other than that im happy.

HSC
N/A
_dhj_ said:
It is an option without a doubt, but original post seems like an advert for UWS rather than genuine advice.
I know, I was wondering who is behind it and why

is a roflcopter
HSC
im confused as to why anyone would go to uws law school if they have enough uai for feepay law at unsw or usyd or anu or melb

i mean........i just dont see the logic

HSC
N/A
Newbie said:
im confused as to why anyone would go to uws law school if they have enough uai for feepay law at unsw or usyd or anu or melb

Why would you choose full fee paying over HECS?

is a roflcopter
HSC
its still a loan from the government. so no its not about the money

is a roflcopter
HSC
FEE-HELP, an alternative choice to uws law school :D?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Newbie said:

A lot of people could not justify spending more than double the amount on something, especially when they have better uses for the money. Plus a lot of people don't have that kind of money. Its rational enough, I had a UAI suitable for Mac, UNSW, UTS etc full fee, but I could not afford it and knew it wasn't worth it

phrred

HSC
Newbie said:

instead of paying 6,000 a year, you pay 20,000 a year full fee

14,000 X 5= $70,000 more

and you probably dont want a 100,000 debt to the government after you graduate

so youre tossing up no debt law degree from UWS or a law degree with 100k in debt from UNSW/Syd

If you were capable, you wouldnt need the UNSW/USYD logo in the top left corner-
you'd let your skills do the talking not your uni's prestige

is a roflcopter
HSC
phrred said:
instead of paying 6,000 a year, you pay 20,000 a year full fee

14,000 X 5= $70,000 more

and you probably dont want a 100,000 debt to the government after you graduate

so youre tossing up no debt law degree from UWS or a law degree with 100k in debt from UNSW/Syd

If you were capable, you wouldnt need the UNSW/USYD logo in the top left corner-
you'd let your skills do the talking not your uni's prestige
the actual numbers are this:

18k @ UNSW/USYD/ANU times 5 years = 90k
6k @ UWS times 5 years = 30K

the difference is 60k not 100k as stated

the HECs repayment is 4-6% of your taxable income depending on what income bracket you fall under. Hardly a financial burden considering the risk free interest rate is 6.25% and as far as i recollect, its tax deductible. An alternative would be becoming a lawyer overseas and avoid repaying the debt. That option is not open to UWS.

With consideration to what has been said in this thread regarding the quality of the UWS law school program and the calibre of its students, i dont think it will be difficult for them to be academically competitive at UNSW/USYD/ANU.

When I graduated from high school I was pretty against full fee as well but the reality of the situation didnt dawn on me until the HR of a top tier firm told my friend that "we dont consider UTS students for front office positions". And i'm guessing UWS is below UTS in the food chain.

so heres the thing, you are sacrificing the law school name and limiting yourself career wise for the sake of an illusory short term economic advantage.

Hence my original statement.
Lawyers are a snobby bunch of folks but its a business reality. Prestige is everything. 60k of government sponsored debt is a very cheap price to pay.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Newbie said:
When I graduated from high school I was pretty against full fee as well but the reality of the situation didnt dawn on me until the HR of a top tier firm told my friend that "we dont consider UTS students for front office positions". And i'm guessing UWS is below UTS in the food chain.

so heres the thing, you are sacrificing the law school name and limiting yourself career wise for the sake of an illusory short term economic advantage.

Hence my original statement.
Lawyers are a snobby bunch of folks but its a business reality. Prestige is everything. 60k of government sponsored debt is a very cheap price to pay.
haha, i bet you when newbie becomes a hotshot i-banker, he won't deal with lawyers from UWS... :p

hYperTrOphY

HSC
It is a misconception that UWS graduates can not attain positions in top tier law firms. Such opinion is refuted by the very fact that there are UWS graduates working in such firms. In fact, representatives from Minter Ellison have stated that UWS graduate have a better success rate than any other university (in terms of offers/applications).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)