An alternative choice - UWS Law (1 Viewer)

is a roflcopter
HSC
im not disputing the quality UWS Law School or their candidates, im merely pointing out that it was irrational to chose UWS over full fee law if it was solely for economic reasons

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Newbie said:
im not disputing the quality UWS Law School or their candidates, im merely pointing out that it was irrational to chose UWS over full fee law if it was solely for economic reasons
Yes, but your contention that such a decision would be irrational appears to be based on the the assumption that studying at UWS will prevent employment in top tier firms.

is a roflcopter
HSC
i guess going to UWS doesnt prevent employment at tier1 firms - if you have a bunch of uni medals in the closet.

But for the rest of the people - yes my assumption is true.

L

LaraB

Newbie said:
i guess going to UWS doesnt prevent employment at tier1 firms - if you have a bunch of uni medals in the closet.

But for the rest of the people - yes my assumption is true.
Not necessarily... yes you need to do well, just like any uni - but you don't need to be the outstanding-super-student to be recognised as a good employment prospect.

You'd be surprised how many firms who stipulate a D average as a pre-requisite to applying for a job with them accept students with lesser marks who send in applications regardless.

Law firms are aware that a lot of uni and the way it is marked isn't necessarily an inidication of your ability to be a successful practitioner.

El Misterio

HSC
I'm sure it's a fine law school with good-quality teaching, but if you're intent on practicing in a top-tier, boutique, or even upper-mid-tier commercial firm, it's going to be a lot more difficult to get there from UWS than from USYD, UNSW, UTS, Club Mac and ANU, or even Wollongong or Newcastle.

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
brogan77 said:
It's statistically and empirically proven that UWS is the best law school in the world. Don't let the nay sayers contradict you, it has the best facilities, teaching staff and produces the best law graduates. Rumour has it, that the government artificially imposes the low uai cut-off to keep the fact it's such a brilliant law school secret, thereby enabling them to place their own children in it surreptiously.

Better than Harvard, kids. Better than Harvard.
In future all our high court justices will be westies and lebs :D

krayzie_

HSC
Interesting..

[edit] so UWS owns any other university? i think i might transfer there soon

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Keep the comments civil please.

On the topic, yes some universities are generally more prestigious than others. A university perceived to have a higher quality of education (whether this is true or not) is an advantage in and of itself. But that is not the end of the story by any means. The particular university is only one of a number of factors, including university marks, extra-curricular activities, work experience, team skills/personality.

So yes, aim for the top universities. But if you aren't doing USyd or UNSW law it would be ridiculous to say you're out of the ball game for working at high-profile firm. Marks make a huge difference. Mr Distinction average from Newcastle is likely to seem more like a hard-working, knowledgeable lawyer-to-be than Mr Credit average from USyd. Mrs Goldman Sachs Leader from UWS is going to appear to be a more well-rounded person than someone who has done jack-all in the extra-curricular department from UNSW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)