• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Annual Award Ceremony (1 Viewer)

mecramarathon

HSC
:wave: What type of awards does your school give?

Is anyone getting anything this year??

e.g. Caltex all rounder, dux, top in subject, sporting awards ....

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
mecramarathon said:

We have all that but it's just for HSC, i.e. Yr 12 students.

For year 11 students like us, we only get awards based on the academics just as Academic Excellence (2 subjects mentions as top 10%), Academic Honours (3 subjects mentions as top 10%) and Academic Honours First class (4 subjects or more).

I am getting Academic Honours First Class with 7 subject mentions. :p yay

kara42

HSC
mecramarathon said:

Each term we get "effort and achievement awards", at the end of each year we get 1st, 2nd and 3rd in subject awards... umm, sporting awards, dux... yeah all sorts.

HSC
At our senior valedictory:

Year 10/11 Citizenship and Academic Awards
Year 10/11/12 ADF Leadership Awards
Lutheran Education Australia 'Lifelong Qualities for Learning' Awards (given to one person in each pastoral care class, kind of like a citizenship award).
Sportsman and Sportswoman of the Year
Year 12 Top of Subject Awards
Specific Year 12 citizenship awards (sponsored by various organisations)
College DUX
Principals Award

Top in Subject in Years 10 and 11 are given at a special chapel service next year.

hairspray

HSC
We get the top in course awards...
and some year adviser thing that one person person each grade gets.
Debating awards
Sports awards
Leadership/citizenship awards

Another question: what does the school gives you along with the awards?

At my school if you come first u get a $20 Angus and Robertson voucher... so cheap, i know.

Well I'm getting 4 awards this year and the only thing I'm excited about is the free food after the ceremony.

chaldoking

HSC
Thats a shame really - its not just a piece of paper. I don't see why you do business studies if you don't treat it like a proper subject.

the-derivative said:
We have a Concert and Prizegiving Night - you get an award for coming first in a subject. No money - no trophies.

I'm getting a piece of paper this year cause I came first in Business Studies.

chaldoking

HSC
A good friend of mine said, "Through his post, I think it's obvious that the only method of highlighting one's achievements is through the engraving of one's name to a trophy. The fact that he directly mentioned that his certificate is 'only a piece of paper' denotes his absent-minded attitude, in that this award is nothing but a piece of cellulose, nothing else."

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I got a piece of paper for topping English lol...which is so not worth the effort of topping a subject.

The only thing that's worth the effort for me at my school was the merit award system, because they give these pretty shiny trophies and medals lol.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Trebla said:
I got a piece of paper for topping English lol...which is so not worth the effort of topping a subject.

The only thing that's worth the effort for me at my school was the merit award system, because they give these pretty shiny trophies and medals lol.
People at my school get paper AND a medal if they topped a subject and that's in yr 11.

In yr 12, people who top in any subject get a decent trophy.

For internal dux, they get shields and few other trophies from UNSW and Macquarie Uni.. drool...:eek:

chaldoking

HSC
Well, to be honest its about coming first - if you truly have satisfaction in a subject the reward for coming first should mean little, its about doing well that counts.

Exon

HSC
lyounamu said:
People at my school get paper AND a medal if they topped a subject and that's in yr 11.

In yr 12, people who top in any subject get a decent trophy.

For internal dux, they get shields and few other trophies from UNSW and Macquarie Uni.. drool...:eek:
Is that what you want? Reputation and your name engraved on a a plaque? Is that what it's all about? So there's no more meaning in the actual award, but rather, an esteemed sense of reputation.

That's what you're trying to get at me. It's a real shame, really, an award is no longer an award, it's just a piece of paper, like The-Derivative stated, and it's all about having your name for show, like you have mentioned.

Pathetic; what has society come to?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
chaldoking said:
Well, to be honest its about coming first - if you truly have satisfaction in a subject the reward for coming first should mean little, its about doing well that counts.
yeah. But it's not the only thing that counts. It's about improving as well. Our school gives out Darcy Award (don't really know its name) for people who improve most. I want to get that over internal dux award sometimes because I prefer to be recognised for consistent effort and improvement...

EDIT: Exon, you got me wrong. It's not all about that. As I stated above, it's more about being acknowledged for the great effort and achievement you made and there is nothing wrong with that, is there?

chaldoking

HSC
Shakespeare put this perfectly in his play 'As You Like It' - it is all about human beings seeking "the bubble reputation."

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I apologise if I sounded like a dickhead who would just do anything to gain a sense of reputation. I didn't mean that and I know that I didn't mean that deep down in my heart. My poor expression of my thought just did the trick.

I want to get an award to get acknowledged. That's my view. Trying to get acknowledged and chasing for a false sense of reputation is totally different. It's also about finding out about my own potential too - seeing how far I can go.

Exon

HSC
lyounamu said:
yeah. But it's not the only thing that counts. It's about improving as well. Our school gives out Darcy Award (don't really know its name) for people who improve most. I want to get that over internal dux award sometimes because I prefer to be recognised for consistent effort and improvement...

EDIT: Exon, you got me wrong. It's not all about that. As I stated above, it's more about being acknowledged for the great effort and achievement you made and there is nothing wrong with that, is there?

If it's not in relation to you, then it must apply to The Derivative's statement, that his award is only on a piece of paper. He must be trapped in the mindset that in order to be recognised, your name must be expelled out of the school, and to everyone's senses, around the world.

Sorry, The-Derivative, but if a piece of paper is not good enough for you, don't even turn up to the ceremony.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Exon said:
If it's not in relation to you, then it must apply to The Derivative's statement, that his award is only on a piece of paper. He must be trapped in the mindset that in order to be recognised, your name must be expelled out of the school, and to everyone's senses, around the world.

Sorry, The-Derivative, but if a piece of paper is not good enough for you, don't even turn up to the ceremony.
I think it's just too early to make a statement in regards to what The-Derivative feels about his own awards. You are just making assumptions that that is the case. He was just stark in his post. He just simply said that his school doesn't give out trophies and anything of that sort. And there is nothing wrong with that - no hard feelings.

Exon

HSC
lyounamu said:
I apologise if I sounded like a dickhead who would just do anything to gain a sense of reputation. I didn't mean that and I know that I didn't mean that deep down in my heart. My poor expression of my thought just did the trick.

I want to get an award to get acknowledged. That's my view. Trying to get acknowledged and chasing for a false sense of reputation is totally different. It's also about finding out about my own potential too - seeing how far I can go.
Yes, I have to agree with you on this statement. But even though you did not wish to convey the wrong message, in which I interpreted in a varied manner, people like that of whom I've mentioned before are only out there to seek a reputable status, depicting the absolute loss in value of the award, or the 'piece of paper', as The-Derivative describes.

Exon

HSC
lyounamu said:
I think it's just too early to make a statement in regards to what The-Derivative feels about his own awards. You are just making assumptions that that is the case. He was just stark in his post. He just simply said that his school doesn't give out trophies and anything of that sort. And there is nothing wrong with that - no hard feelings.

I think it's not awards, alone, but rather, everything that occurs in and out of school. His comments are a stark depiction of his own need to seek reputation, the need to be recognised that "oh, I'm doing such and such and getting this and that". It's a real shame that certain individuals have developed into a manner that is somewhat demeaning of themselves, and the school.

I'm not trying to offend him, but I think it's just that people don't learn unless if they are corrected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)