• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Annual Award Ceremony (1 Viewer)

NCB619

I Am The Chorus
HSC
we get 1st/2nd/3rd for each subject, Principal's awards, and the silliest one of the lot, a 'Marian' award (named after the school), and its good because teachers have to sign the nomination form regarding the student to make the nomination eligible, but you have to nominate yourself, so its for stuck up people really

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
NCB619 said:
we get 1st/2nd/3rd for each subject, Principal's awards, and the silliest one of the lot, a 'Marian' award (named after the school), and its good because teachers have to sign the nomination form regarding the student to make the nomination eligible, but you have to nominate yourself, so its for stuck up people really
so it's like a popularity award?

chaldoking

HSC
Epacepac said:
Misquotes are awesome.
Here we have it Epacepac cruising in here like he is the Bishop of Sydney - the Teleran of all English students.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Wait, what
What's wrong with boasting about a good mark?
What's wrong with seeking further acknowledgement of a year of hard work and dedication?
Hell, if I came first in my school, I'd want more than a piece of paper. I wouldn't even be satisfied with a medal or a trophy. I'd either want cash or recognition. Actually, a trophy would suffice =D

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lyounamu said:
I think it's just too early to make a statement in regards to what The-Derivative feels about his own awards. You are just making assumptions that that is the case. He was just stark in his post. He just simply said that his school doesn't give out trophies and anything of that sort. And there is nothing wrong with that - no hard feelings.
Thank you Namu.

My post was intended to be jocular - however it is true - we only get a piece of paper - that is factual language. I never stated that I disliked the award, that I expected anything better. Also I never degraded Business Studies in anyway - I treat it as a real subject and obviously I had to work at it to come first - so if I didn't consider it a real subject - why would I work towards it to come first? All I said is 'I'm getting a piece of paper for business studies' - which is true - because my award is a piece of paper - the way you interpret that is your problem.

Exon said:
I think it's not awards, alone, but rather, everything that occurs in and out of school. His comments are a stark depiction of his own need to seek reputation, the need to be recognised that "oh, I'm doing such and such and getting this and that". It's a real shame that certain individuals have developed into a manner that is somewhat demeaning of themselves, and the school.

I'm not trying to offend him, but I think it's just that people don't learn unless if they are corrected.
I never stated that I wanted anything better - all I did was put the truth in a slightly critical way - which was only intended to be humorous. I never said that i wanted anything more, nor did I say that there was a problem with getting an award in paper form. Those ideas are provoked from your misinterpretations of 2-3 short statements which did not imply those ideas.

Exon

HSC
the-derivative said:
Thank you Namu.

My post was intended to be jocular - however it is true - we only get a piece of paper - that is factual language. I never stated that I disliked the award, that I expected anything better. Also I never degraded Business Studies in anyway - I treat it as a real subject and obviously I had to work at it to come first - so if I didn't consider it a real subject - why would I work towards it to come first? All I said is 'I'm getting a piece of paper for business studies' - which is true - because my award is a piece of paper - the way you interpret that is your problem.

I never stated that I wanted anything better - all I did was put the truth in a slightly critical way - which was only intended to be humorous. I never said that i wanted anything more, nor did I say that there was a problem with getting an award in paper form. Those ideas are provoked from your misinterpretations of 2-3 short statements which did not imply those ideas.

Oh please... it's people like you who need a great saving illusion to draw you out of your silly little world, in thinking that you're able to swing me to the other side of the argument. You and I know what you're trying to do, not only through your post in this thread, but also the hundreds of other posts that you have made in the past. If a piece of paper is not good enough for you, tear it up when you get home. Why am I saying this? Simple. Look at the selection of words that you have used, and the apparent juxtaposition of trophy and other prizes that you have mentioned.

Also, Youngminii, you're not an exception to this. If being first and being acknowledged for it is not enough, don't even bother about turning up to the presentations. You exhibit no sense of appreciation for what the school does for you, but rather, you want your name to be sown onto a flag, and flown on top of the Harbour Bridge. Isn't that right?

Pathetic.:mad1:

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Exon said:
Oh please... it's people like you who need a great saving illusion to draw you out of your silly little world, in thinking that you're able to swing me to the other side of the argument. You and I know what you're trying to do, not only through your post in this thread, but also the hundreds of other posts that you have made in the past. If a piece of paper is not good enough for you, tear it up when you get home. Why am I saying this? Simple. Look at the selection of words that you have used, and the apparent juxtaposition of trophy and other prizes that you have mentioned.

Also, Youngminii, you're not an exception to this. If being first and being acknowledged for it is not enough, don't even bother about turning up to the presentations. You exhibit no sense of appreciation for what the school does for you, but rather, you want your name to be sown onto a flag, and flown on top of the Harbour Bridge. Isn't that right?

I'm not trying to swing your opinion. If you want to continue believing that I am dissatisfied with my award - continue to do so. But I never said that my award wasn't good enough - you just implied it - and I'm certainly not going to tear it up - because I don't have a problem with it. I'm actually proud of getting the award.

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Exon said:

I don't know about you, but i believe you're looking too far into things. I took the-derivative's and Youngminii's comments to be lighthearted, damn funny and pretty true. I also see no problem in wanting to gain acknowledgment or referring to the prize as a piece of paper.

I came 1st at my school for a fair number of subjects too and i have to admit i like being able to get a bit of recognition for my achievement (any more than a little and it's quite annoying). However, even more important than that, i love the satisfaction of knowing that you've done well because you've worked hard. A trophy would indeed be nice just because it looks better than a piece of paper- I think that's all they're trying to say :)

Sorry if i'm not quite making sense right now, i'm rather tired and should catch up on some sleep soon.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
annabackwards said:
I don't know about you, but i believe you're looking too far into things. I took the-derivative's and Youngminii's comments to be lighthearted, damn funny and pretty true. I also see no problem in wanting to gain acknowledgment or referring to the prize as a piece of paper.

I came 1st at my school for a fair number of subjects too and i have to admit i like being able to get a bit of recognition for my achievement (any more than a little and it's quite annoying). However, even more important than that, i love the satisfaction of knowing that you've done well because you've worked hard. A trophy would indeed be nice just because it looks better than a piece of paper- I think that's all they're trying to say :)

Sorry if i'm not quite making sense right now, i'm rather tired and should catch up on some sleep soon.
Thank you - finally someone is making some sense here.
All I intended was to make a lighthearted comment and I'm pretty sure that's the same with Youngminii. I think you're making perfect sense.

adidasboy

weee
HSC
crobos said:
no no no
the derivative is clearly manipulating this situation
it is quite obvious what his intentions were
and what he meant by his remarks
he simply thinks that only receiving a 'piece of paper' is nothing
as if he would use it wipe his bottom full of feces

THIS IS WRONG!
but dont worry, karma is a b****
hey! that's what i think.. lol
i want a damn medal :haha:

Exon

HSC
the-derivative said:
Thank you - finally someone is making some sense here.
All I intended was to make a lighthearted comment and I'm pretty sure that's the same with Youngminii. I think you're making perfect sense.
An unfathomable enigma...

Consumed by the ego-centricity of your own self. That's simply a pathetic comment made on behalf of yourself, in the great illusion that you are more worthy than having your name on a piece of paper. Based on all of your other posts, who are you, and what are you trying to achieve, spending your time here, trying to persuade the whole world that everything you touch should be auctioned off for a million bob.

There are obviously varied connotations to the specific diction of words. However, in your circumstance, it's more than apparent that you are more than interested in a trophy, given your specific mention of the methods of recognition involving in such ceremonies. If a piece of cellulose, manufactured by nature, is not enough, I don't understand why the school would even consider handing an award to you, they might as well save the piece of cellulose to someone that has an attitude that is considerably better than yours. Evidence of this? Check your other posts, not on this thread, that is.

Exon

HSC
adidasboy said:
hey! that's what i think.. lol
i want a damn medal :haha:
Ugh... how pathetic of you, you're obviously The-Derivative's cyber-friend who was rounded up with a bunch of others, here to consider a piece of cellulose as irrelevant as shredded pages of a dictionary.

morning storm

HSC
im not sure if this has been said, but these awards also function to inspire students in younger years to achieve

and namu, dw, come award time you will clean up ;)

edit: ill be honest, i found the $200 that came with both the caltex all rounder and the bro. mac award for excellence/leadership a lot more <i>rewarding</i>

Last edited:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
morning storm said:
im not sure if this has been said, but these awards also function to inspire students in younger years to achieve

and namu, dw, come award time you will clean up ;)

edit: ill be honest, i found the $200 that came with both the caltex all rounder and the bro. mac award for excellence/leadership a lot more rewarding
wow, $200!!! yayayyayayay!! (but as if I will get any...)

dp624

HSC
I don't think my school gives money or trophies. It's more like a medallion. I topped trial physics with a few other people and I got a bronze(?) medallion with my name on the back and school crest on the front. and some cellulose too. lol

xMrRand0m

HSC
Exon said:
Ugh... how pathetic of you, you're obviously The-Derivative's cyber-friend who was rounded up with a bunch of others, here to consider a piece of cellulose as irrelevant as shredded pages of a dictionary.
A piece of cellulose is merely a piece of cellulose. Compare the paper used for wiping feces off people's bottoms to the paper used for recognition of academic achievement. Do you see any difference in molecular formation? I don't think so. Paper is paper. However, when you get handed a medallion or trophy with your name carved into it, it brings about a sense of success =)

Exon

HSC
xMrRand0m said:
A piece of cellulose is merely a piece of cellulose. Compare the paper used for wiping feces off people's bottoms to the paper used for recognition of academic achievement. Do you see any difference in molecular formation? I don't think so. Paper is paper. However, when you get handed a medallion or trophy with your name carved into it, it brings about a sense of success =)

Yet again, further evidence that The-Derivative in suspended within a mindset that is insecure, including you, xMrRand0m, whereby you consider a piece of cellulose, what nature has given us, simply something that people use to wipe their backsides with.

Success is held within, if you know that you have tried your absolute best, regardless of whether you are ranked first or not, it is the feeling of individual success in which you remain steadfast to. The fact that you're insinuating that the only method of appreciating individual success is through the engraving of your name on a piece of fashioned metal is indicative of your narrow-mindedness.

You are simply an individual with no sense of the individual, nor do you understand the concept of success and what it entails.

Do you know what success is? Obviously not, considering that success involves your name being expelled out into the open for all to see, whilst it casts an unfathomable enigma over your putrid mind.

morning storm

HSC
lyounamu said:
wow, $200!!! yayayyayayay!! (but as if I will get any...)
you'll certainly be up for a couple of things, it just depends what

its a long way away though, so dw about it yet.
just make sure you dont let the competitiveness of the year get to you. hsc can make a lot of people turn into jerks. people will remember the guy who was extremely smart and yet didnt let that get in the way of being nice or maintaining friendships.

in doing this, you will find your maturity is rewarded not just at the end of year award ceremony but with the respect of your peers in the years to come. the most valuable lessons we learn at school are not necessarily just those in the classroom!

Enobarbus

HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
I don't think my school gives money or trophies. It's more like a medallion. I topped trial physics with a few other people and I got a bronze(?) medallion with my name on the back and school crest on the front. and some cellulose too. lol
nah some of them had munni... one of mine had $50

Joga Bonito

HSC
our school gives out medallions for topping subjects and a nice certificate to go with it. and we have some awards with prize money as well. i'm finally getting something, after a 3 year drought lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)