ANU is my dream university, but why there are so many negative sayings against it? (1 Viewer)

amoy

HSC
Hello everybody

Ive just finished my VCE and I'm confident with a 93 above ENTER score.

As an international student, ANU has been my only target during these 2 years.

However, when I was studying in Brighton Grammar, there was nearly no one knew anything about ANU, comparing to its ranking, it seemed weird, isnt it?

Furthermore, there are so many ppl talking about the badness of ANU's undergraduate courses. I'm going to do Commerce next year, and under those negative sayings, i feel so hazy about choosing the uni.

Could anybody tell me something really useful for my decision making?
It is time for me to decide wether go to ANU to do commerce undergraduate course or not...

THANKS SO MUCH!

(By the way, how is the commerce undergraduate couses in ANU? Seems the same courses in UNIMELB and USYD are much more famous...)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Re: ANU is my dream university, but why there are so many negative sayings against it

Don't let those rankings fool you. They have nothing to do with the quality of your commerce undergraduate program.

Those rankings are mainly measuring how many papers have been published and how many times they have been cited, how many Nature and Science papers are published, they also take into account how many awards like the Nobel prize have been won by alumini. As you can see, some rankings are really biased toward the sciences, which further reinforce the fact that these rankings shouldn't mean much to you. Therefore, ANU has a reputation for their research, which is irrelevant to you unless you are doing a graduate course.

The reason that no one really knows anything about ANU is
1) it is in Canberra,
2) hardly anyone goes there for undergraduate as compared with other major universities.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: ANU is my dream university, but why there are so many negative sayings against it

Different people like different thinks. If you honestly believe that you want to do Commerce at ANU - you should. :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

anu is the best uni in australia in terms of international reputation.

runnable

HSC

For Commerce, I would recommend UMelb over ANU. More reputable business course IMO and decent ranking.

pman

Banned
HSC

Envy, we all think our uni is the best but they claim to be so much better

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC

its a good uni dont listen to the gronks who say its bad its good i promise u hunny u will love it long time c u there ;)

amoy

HSC

Thanks to all ur replies!

Ive been crazy about deciding where to go during these days.
There are indeed so many kinds of opinions.

The key thing I want to know now is: Is the Commerce undergraduate course (Especially Accounting and Finance) in ANU good enough?

Seriously, if there is nothing else to do without ANU's reputation because of the course quality, it would be my big pity.

Could anybody tell me that please? No need to compare the course with UNIMELB, just wondering is the quality of Commerce in ANU good enough to be learnt.

(Some one told me that the teachers' capacity of ANU is really great, and the amount of students in a class is much smaller than other unis, so the quality of learning is actually better. Is that true?)

THANKS!

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A

ANU is the best uni in the country lol?

runnable

HSC

The quality of any Group of 8 uni in Australia is good enough to study.

I was just suggesting why are you moving interstate to Canberra when you have a better (IMO) option of UMelb for Commerce right in front of you. UMelb probably has a better reputation in Commerce.

But if ANU is what you want, so be it :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC

Could anybody tell me that please? No need to compare the course with UNIMELB, just wondering is the quality of Commerce in ANU good enough to be learnt.
The bottom line is, ANU won't be "omg it's crap". It is still a very good university and has high standards for their students. You will learn pretty much learn what other commerce students are learning at other universities, so when you graduate you will be competitive in the job market.

(Some one told me that the teachers' capacity of ANU is really great, and the amount of students in a class is much smaller than other unis, so the quality of learning is actually better. Is that true?)
They do have a relatively high staff:student ratio because the enrolment is not enormous compared to other city universities.

merillem

HSC

Different people like different thinks. If you honestly believe that you want to do Commerce at ANU - you should. :)
Agree.

ANU = research intensive institution w/ great international reputation.
UniMelb = great university with great international reputation.

Either is great.

2009spamtec

HSC

I think the ANU gets most of its bad wrap from its association with canberra. I live in canberra and sure, its not as fast paced as other cities but its not boring by all means. I can hear empire of the sun playing at foreshore as i am typing this in my bedroom :)

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad

Don't really care how good the uni is. It's in Canberra and that's enough for me to rule it out.

tiggaman

HSC

ANU tops every single ratings report- but dont just rely on the ratings, look for the ones that are the best for the course you want to do.

X

xeuyrawp

They do have a relatively high staff:student ratio because the enrolment is not enormous compared to other city universities.
?? But universities control their enrolments, and ANU doesn't seem to have fewer students applying for their courses than they have spaces.
Those rankings are mainly measuring how many papers have been published and how many times they have been cited,
That is true for the THES, but not of the Shanghai Jiao Tong, in which ANU is also the highest ranked Australian uni.

I honestly think that ANU is the best uni in Australia for its adoption of the American/UK college model; where students move to colleges or a home near the uni and study. It is really far, far superior to other unis for simply that one reason. Then if you include the huge amounts of funding it gets, the infrastructure that the uni has to help staff members write grants, the balance on research and teaching, the great management of money, etc etc, it is clearly the best uni in Australia for most things.

Yes, there are areas where many unis are probably better, eg Egyptology (which is taught the best by Macquarie and then Monash) and undoubtedly other areas of which I really know nothing. But generally speaking, it is easily the best uni in Australia. Fullstop.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC

Yes but you half quoted my sentence.

"Those rankings are mainly measuring how many papers have been published and how many times they have been cited, how many Nature and Science papers are published, they also take into account how many awards like the Nobel prize have been won by alumini."

That is true for the THES, but not of the Shanghai Jiao Tong, in which ANU is also the highest ranked Australian uni.
Does the Shanghai Jiao Tong ranking not taking into account the numbers of Nature and Science papers that are published, the no. of Nobel Prize winners that each university have produced??

Both rankings are bias towards the sciences.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad

You know what? Go there if you want to go. Believe in your own judgment

You don't need to justify it to any of us and besides, you'll just get upset when people disagree with you.

The reality is ANU is a good university. It hasn't got a massive profile because of how new it is (relative to Melb + Syd) and the fact it's in Canberra. So a lot of people don't know much about it and the alumni sphere will not be as big.

So it's probably a great uni for this country and I'm sure people respect you for it if you went to it, but I don't think it'd be a uni that a lot of people identify with unless you were to run people past the Jiaotong Rankings everytime you talk about your uni. But if you did that you'd just be demonstrating what a muppet you are.

X

xeuyrawp

Yes but you half quoted my sentence.
Sorry, it was an accident:
"Those rankings are mainly measuring how many papers have been published and how many times they have been cited, how many Nature and Science papers are published, they also take into account how many awards like the Nobel prize have been won by alumini."
That is true for the THES, but not of the Shanghai Jiao Tong, in which ANU is also the highest ranked Australian uni. /shrug

Does the Shanghai Jiao Tong ranking not taking into account the numbers of Nature and Science papers that are published, the no. of Nobel Prize winners that each university have produced??
Yes, but it also has a more significant student/recent graduate contribution as well.

Both rankings are bias towards the sciences.
THES is always said to be more natural science biased.

Okay, well to put those two internationally-regarded rankings aside, ANU consistently features prominently in other rankings, even ones within Australia.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC

Sorry, it was an accident:
That is true for the THES, but not of the Shanghai Jiao Tong, in which ANU is also the highest ranked Australian uni. /shrug

Yes, but it also has a more significant student/recent graduate contribution as well.

THES is always said to be more natural science biased.

Okay, well to put those two internationally-regarded rankings aside, ANU consistently features prominently in other rankings, even ones within Australia.
All I'm trying to suggest is that the OP shouldn't pay too much attention to these rankings, especially when the OP is looking for an undergraduate commerce degree.

Also, just because Cambridge outranks Oxford in many of these rankings (both THES and SJT) doesn't mean it is "better" in many people's views here in the UK and they are both mentioned on equal grounds. And of course, the lower ranking of Oxford didn't stop you from apply to Oxford, did it? So my point is, don't take the rankings too seriously. :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)