• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Any Advice For An Athiest In The Closet? (1 Viewer)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Whilst I agree with what you have said, I think some people use religion to justify their own bigotry. I dont know if the religious argument would work.
I think it would. Challenge their sense of self. They no doubt view themselves as good Christians. If you point out that their reaction is decidedly un-Christian then they may moderate and change their views to avoid the internal contradiction. Or they will respond with rage and anger at an emotionally confusing problem. But hopefully the rage and anger will rapidly subside and they will then moderate their views. The alternative for them is to admit that they are really just poor Christians who pick-and-choose their dogma at will and I sincerely doubt that they would be able to come to terms with that self image.

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
Look you don't need religion to have good family values and morals and shit

anyway, i don't think arguing with parents about why their beliefs are retarded is really going to help the situation.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I'm not saying he should argue with what they're saying I'm saying he should argue (using biblical quotes) that it is their responsibility to love and support him, regardless of what he does. When they say homosexuality is wrong and non-believers shall burn, he should say that they are supposed to love thy neighbour as thyself (Leviticus 19:18) and that God commands that ye shall not oppress one another (25:17).

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
i really don't care that much i just think he should emancipate himself all the way to centrelink if they are not accepting

shakini12

HSC
well i am just like you. fortunately my parent accept me for who i am, dude you should be proud of your self that you are an atheist, for me it's the best decision i have ever made, i'd say you can always decline to participate in church if you really do not want to, but i'd say go with the flow until you become someone with a good living

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
suck it up princess

as long as youre dependent upon your parents just shut up and do what they say

Quadro

HSC
N/A
Well, your parents gonna love you eitherway, just try to be diplomatic about the issue and don't pay much attention to it.

eastpak

HSC
N/A
Ummm....just passing by, saw cool thread title, came here, said that I like it, leaving now...

mcapuano

HSC
Ask them whether or not they'd force you to marry your rapist in the event that you were raped [Deuteronomy 22:28-29] and when they say no [which I hope they will lol] be like 'there, now you don't believe in the bible either.' no more church for eja!

williamdaft

HSC
If you get to the point where they want to kick you out of the house, then just keep going on with the flow until you're independent one day.

However, they should understand your belief as an individual.. it's a really hard time telling Christians the flaws in the Old Testament and I don't think converting them into Atheists is a nice idea considering Christians who have gone to church most of their lifetime can't really 'question'

wellladida

HSC
N/A
Just go with the flow and harvest your presents every Xmas/Easter :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)