Any does architecture? Which uni? (1 Viewer)

mooio231

HSC
Hi! I am a recent high school graduate and received offers into design in architecture courses at UTS, USYD and UNSW. I am really confused about which uni to go to.
I personally prefer UTS because of the many pros I have heard of it including; the more personalized experience due to small lectures, the more practical/real-world approach, etc. However, USYD and UNSW both have much higher ranking in architecture courses in Australia according to many websites online, and their admission requirement marks are also higher.

So what I am thinking is to do maybe 1 or 2 years at UTS and then transfer to either USYD or UNSW for the last year and the Masters. I also really want to have international experiences at both unis so I am thinking of doing exchange at UTS for 1 semester and another one after I have transferred. Would this be possible or is that just dumb? (me overthinking)

Anywaysss, if you are already doing architecture at one of these or have a better option, please let me know which one it is and share your experience! Any suggestions or tips for first year architecture student would be greatly appreciated :))

Thank you!

quickoats

HSC
If you got into BDesArch (Hons) + MArch at USyd then go with that one - this pretty much guarantees admission into the required MArch to become an architect. Afaik no other unis have the guaranteed MArch pathway.

However, if you didn't get into the bach/masters program and are tossing up between the 3 yr bachelor options at the 3 unis, then go to the one that you would prefer the most (seems like UTS) and then after the 3 years, apply to all unis that offer the MArch to keep your options open. Note that some unis charge full fee (FFP) for their masters so you'd end up picking the ones that gives you a CSP (much cheaper fees).

So what I am thinking is to do maybe 1 or 2 years at UTS and then transfer to either USYD or UNSW for the last year and the Masters. I also really want to have international experiences at both unis so I am thinking of doing exchange at UTS for 1 semester and another one after I have transferred. Would this be possible or is that just dumb? (me overthinking)
Not really possible IMO.
a. because COVID, exchange might not open up for a while
b. exchange needs to be organised a while in advance (at least a year - organise it in first year to go in sem 2 year 2) and this probably won't be able to happen if you intend on doing 1.5 years at each uni
c. you probably won't get credits for the units you did on exchange at the first uni (might not even get much credit for your original course either). (trust me I'm transferring unis and course credit is painful)

Stick with 1 uni and squeeze in an exchange semester :) you'll still be able to have a great experience.

Disclaimer: not an architect but considered it quite a bit last year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)