Uni Grad

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
SSD though, only one I could find less than 1K

studybuddy101

HSC
what are you guys on about, mac osx is linux based and it can run windows too. If anything apple computers are the best for programming simply because they're so diverse. Regardless, i think some unis issue out a virtual OS (linux based) if you're planning on taking comp sci units so it doesn't really matter if it's windows or mac. Software will generally come in both flavours too

fatduckling

HSC
I highly recommend this one

ASUS notebooks provides the most comfortable and responsive experiences in every application and at all times.

PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ i7-4500U Processor

RAM: 8GB DDR3

HDD: 1TB & 24GB SSD

GRAPHICS: 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Macs traditionally had the edge for multimedia applications and while it's levelled out a bit now there are still some top notch mac exclusive software (i.e. Logic Pro).

For programming I wouldn't say OSX is necessarily a bad idea, pretty much everything on Linux is multi platform. The main thing you'd be missing on OSX is Visual Studio, but you gain the ability to use XCode and create + publish iOS apps. Can always just use bootcamp to run linux or windows anyway.
Thanks for clarifying that.
I meant multimedia in terms of the "basic functions"
I was kinda referring to the programming side but OP did not specify that use as a possibility. And I can't believe I said "ios" instead of OSX.

So taking that out, the laptop would cost 869, when at that price you can get much better laptops. ps. the cpu isn't great. 2.60ghz
If that is your comparison point then one could argue Pentium 4 HT is better, which obviously isn't. The processing speed has not increased for years now, but the components on the processor and the real logical cores has increased vastly.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
WAs going to suggest a macbook, but they can get pricey. If you're willing to splurge, macbook retina 15in is pretty good ;D

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
If that is your comparison point then one could argue Pentium 4 HT is better, which obviously isn't. The processing speed has not increased for years now, but the components on the processor and the real logical cores has increased vastly.
That is obvious. What I meant was that 2.6 is mediocre to other cpu processing speeds in the new series range.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
That is obvious. What I meant was that 2.6 is mediocre to other cpu processing speeds in the new series range.
After research it is not that great of a processor.

It only has 2 cores, which is not that great.

It can hyperthread double (so 4), which is still pretty bad (p4HT can do 2).

Its not all that powerful. Realistically, its about 2 times more powerful than a p4HT, which is not too great.

The i7-3930K is about 8 times more powerful by looking at cores, hyperthreading ability and processing frequencies.

So it depends really. You are right about it being not great in comparison to others, but by stating "2.6GHz" you can't really deduce it from that. I had to research it first before being able to say the above too.

lightthefuze

HSC
i know lol.. need to save moneh..

You could get a Microsoft Surface, not too sure if that's your type. Most are on sale at the moment as there's a newer version coming out soon. You could just backup your files on SkyDrive if you wanted to. Prices are around
$500~ (probably lower)

Sent from my RM-825_apac_australia_new_zealand_278 using Tapatalk

williamdaft

HSC
You could get a Microsoft Surface, not too sure if that's your type. Most are on sale at the moment as there's a newer version coming out soon. You could just backup your files on SkyDrive if you wanted to. Prices are around
$500~ (probably lower)

Sent from my RM-825_apac_australia_new_zealand_278 using Tapatalk
I'll have a look at it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)