any good laptops? (1 Viewer)

wgy182

HSC
Hey guys,
I am planning to buy a laptop but dont know which one to buy.
Which laptop do you guys recommend?
I am looking for one:
- around $1000( best not over 1000)
- good battery life
- I7 processor if not I5
- doesnt lag and can multitask
- alright specs( not for gaming)

Thanks in advance :)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Asus X550CA Intel Core i7 $910
Display 15 inch; Weight 2.3 Kg
Processor: Intel Core i7
Memory: 4GB, 8GB;
Hard Drive: 1TB

HP ProBook 4540s Intel Core i7 - $799
Display 15 inch; Weight 2.47 Kg
Memory: 2GB, 4GB, 8GB;
Hard Drive: 250GB, 750 GB

HP ProBook 4740s Intel Core i7 - $1038
Display 17 inch; Weight 3.05 Kg
Memory: 2GB, 4GB, 8GB;
Hard Drive: 750 GB

Asus X550LB Intel Core i7 - $936
Display 15 inch; Weight 2.3 Kg
Memory: 2GB, 8GB;
Hard Drive: 1TB

the prices are the minimum offers but they are good laptops that meet your criteria. found them here http://www.myshopping.com.au/PT--3_Laptops_Intel_Core_i7__fs_44295_e__

Randox

HSC
N/A
Macbook Air???... If its for uni/school work you can't really beat a mba imo.

studybuddy101

HSC
+1 MacBook Air. Best ultra portable on the market excluding custom builds

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
The 11-inch MacBook Air now lasts up to nine hours between charges and the 13-inch model lasts up to an incredible 12 hours. So from your morning coffee till your evening commute, you can work unplugged. When it’s time to kick back and relax, you can get up to eight hours of iTunes movie playback on the 11-inch model and up to 10 hours on the 13-inch model. And with up to 30 days of standby time, you can go away for weeks and pick up exactly where you left off.*

Holy FK 12hrs

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
I would go for MacBook air but if you have no prior Mac experience it can take some time getting used to things, took me like a month to figure out everything. BTW no cd slot, that is only downside imo.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
I will only buy MacBook Air if it gets Retina display, otherwise macbook pro is on the cards.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
I would avoid Mac's during high school, i'll prob get one for uni, any upcoming models for release in next year or two?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Macbooks are good for basic computer functions such as watching videos, net surfing and making simple documents.

However, if you want to use heavy software's, simulators, games, coding, etc, then never use ios. For these, you should always use windows or linux.

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Macbooks are good for basic computer functions such as watching videos, net surfing and making simple documents.

However, if you want to use heavy software's, simulators, games, coding, etc, then never use ios. For these, you should always use windows or linux.
Uhh, macbook pros and imacs can do the heavy stuff as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
macs are great for photo editing, video editing and anything creative can be done on Mac's, most DJ's have macs. :headbang:

wgy182

HSC
Thanks for the recommendation and input guys!
The asus x550lb with I7 processor seems pretty good. Did anyone buy it? What were your thoughts on it?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
glad you like my choice haha, haven't got personal experience with it but you should invest in a SDD, will make your laptop much faster and opening files and sharing will be a breeze.

wgy182

HSC
Sorry, I know nothing much about computers, what is sdd? Or do you mean ssd?
Isnt that computer using hdd? What do I do with the ssd then?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
SSD is Solid state drive, it is basically a hard drive but uses flash storage thus is much faster at copying files and transferring data. It doesnt have one of those spinning motors so it is much more versatile and hardy. IDK if you can get external SSD's im pretty sure you can, google it. But if you buy a laptop online direct from a company i'm sure you can have the option of build your own device, it would cost an additional $100 or so but would be worth it imo.

wgy182

HSC
Oh thanks. If I were to buy that laptop, do you know where I can have an option of building my own device and change from hdd to sdd? Will the laptop support sdd?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

Macs traditionally had the edge for multimedia applications and while it's levelled out a bit now there are still some top notch mac exclusive software (i.e. Logic Pro).

For programming I wouldn't say OSX is necessarily a bad idea, pretty much everything on Linux is multi platform. The main thing you'd be missing on OSX is Visual Studio, but you gain the ability to use XCode and create + publish iOS apps. Can always just use bootcamp to run linux or windows anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)