Any particular 'good luck charms' that you do before important days? (1 Viewer)

jellybelly59

HSC
LOL lucky charms.. hmm... jnope dont think i have any :( just freak abt the test b4 hand and whine to every1 about how i dont want to do the exam then i just do it LOL. hahaha like how someone knocked their heads against someone else LOL i should try that

12o9

HSC
um. If it's before an exam I replace all my equipment.. except my calculator cause thats expensive x).

Otherwise I wake up before 6, take a shower and eat a huge breakfast =)

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
I make sure that i have coffee and a banana for breakfast.
For maths i always take 2 calculators calcy and calculon (yes i name my calculators :( sad i Know) and have 12 pens with me.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
I make sure that i have coffee and a banana for breakfast.
For maths i always take 2 calculators calcy and calculon (yes i name my calculators :( sad i Know) and have 12 pens with me.

selablad

HSC
Haha, I'm so superstitious when it comes to exams...so are all my friends :D

1. BREAK A PENCIL - this is the most important thing, and that is just before the first exam of an exam period, we get a pencil, snap it in two, and each hold it for luck, before nominating the two people who need the luck the most to get it for the first exam (usually English or maths or something, with the whole year group), and then yeah...

2. LUCKY CHARMS - these are all mine, and are stored in my pencilcase in a special lucky-compartment. I distribute them to anyone who needs them for exams...
- two blue dice
- bits of copper pieces enclosed in sticky tape
- blue button
- many other things... but I just realised I left my pencilcase on the bus :mad: so can't check

3. SEATING - although sometimes when we're in the hall for exams they make us sit in alphabetical order, which is very silly... I always try to be at the very back, front or end of a row, and my friends sit in a line/row in specific orders depending on the subject to make luck flow around the most - it's best if the two outside spots are occupied by the luckiest people to enclose the luck, you see...

So far all of it has worked pretty well for us :D

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
selablad said:
Haha, I'm so superstitious when it comes to exams...so are all my friends :D

1. BREAK A PENCIL - this is the most important thing, and that is just before the first exam of an exam period, we get a pencil, snap it in two, and each hold it for luck, before nominating the two people who need the luck the most to get it for the first exam (usually English or maths or something, with the whole year group), and then yeah...

2. LUCKY CHARMS - these are all mine, and are stored in my pencilcase in a special lucky-compartment. I distribute them to anyone who needs them for exams...
- two blue dice
- bits of copper pieces enclosed in sticky tape
- blue button
- many other things... but I just realised I left my pencilcase on the bus :mad: so can't check

3. SEATING - although sometimes when we're in the hall for exams they make us sit in alphabetical order, which is very silly... I always try to be at the very back, front or end of a row, and my friends sit in a line/row in specific orders depending on the subject to make luck flow around the most - it's best if the two outside spots are occupied by the luckiest people to enclose the luck, you see...

So far all of it has worked pretty well for us :D
Oh wow! That's following superstition by the tail. Jesus, all I do is make sure I bring 2 pens, none of all that woolly stuff :)

selablad

HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Oh wow! That's following superstition by the tail. Jesus, all I do is make sure I bring 2 pens, none of all that woolly stuff :)
Most of the time I'll walk in, check that I have all the appropriate lucky charms, breathe a sigh of relief, then realise I've forgotten a pen or calculator or something :D

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
selablad said:
Most of the time I'll walk in, check that I have all the appropriate lucky charms, breathe a sigh of relief, then realise I've forgotten a pen or calculator or something :D
haha! And that's when your 'good luck charms' work against you ;)

bettina44

HSC
when i think i did well in an exam,i'll use the same pen in the next exam and if i don't i'd use another pen

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Yeah.

- Different pencilcases every exam
- Lucky pen: Blue ones that arent heavy
- Sit next to dumb people
- Walk in last. Keep reading notes until the last minute
- Tie hair up
- wear a jumper
- wear pants
- sit with one leg on top of the other
- pray (im not religious though) before exam
- stare hard at the paper before the exam starts

I used to bring a marble in my pocket during exams though.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
nerdsforever said:
I used to bring a marble in my pocket during exams though.
Oh yeah, I used to bring a rock. :p
Until I lost it. Sad day that was. :(

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Good luck charms? No such thing.

Lets say you walk into an exam, and do not answer a single question correctly, intentionally. You are 100% certain to get 0%. There was no luck involved in that. So you see already that luck has nothing to do with your result in an exam. Neither is probability for that matter. Considering your teacher is writing an exam, they will give you information before the exam as to what you should expect, with the exception of a few small parts which they probably don't even remember to revise with you.

ie; if Teacher A is writing one section of the exam, in order to figure out what that section might be dealing with, or what concepts or ideas you need to rehash in your memory, find out what sort of work or homework they've given to their class. Since it's fresh on their mind they'll likely be mentioning it more often than usual in their class.

With the Board of Studies, it's somewhat different. Basically there are parts which they always include in every exam, getting those parts down ensure you'll get them right, and then there are other points they add in every second or so exam, again, not hard to get down depending on the course.

The only obstacle to getting full marks in any exam should not be luck, but rather your understanding of the course material. Sadly this sometimes is lost through wording of questions, and expecting students to recall definitions of words, rather than their meanings and applications. Basically, there is no luck in the HSC. It all has to do with memory, something which can be enhanced with mental techniques.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
sam04u said:

Lets say you walk into an exam, and do not answer a single question correctly, intentionally. You are 100% certain to get 0%. There was no luck involved in that. So you see already that luck has nothing to do with your result in an exam. Neither is probability for that matter. Considering your teacher is writing an exam, they will give you information before the exam as to what you should expect, with the exception of a few small parts which they probably don't even remember to revise with you.

ie; if Teacher A is writing one section of the exam, in order to figure out what that section might be dealing with, or what concepts or ideas you need to rehash in your memory, find out what sort of work or homework they've given to their class. Since it's fresh on their mind they'll likely be mentioning it more often than usual in their class.

With the Board of Studies, it's somewhat different. Basically there are parts which they always include in every exam, getting those parts down ensure you'll get them right, and then there are other points they add in every second or so exam, again, not hard to get down depending on the course.

The only obstacle to getting full marks in any exam should not be luck, but rather your understanding of the course material. Sadly this sometimes is lost through wording of questions, and expecting students to recall definitions of words, rather than their meanings and applications. Basically, there is no luck in the HSC. It all has to do with memory, something which can be enhanced with mental techniques.
Calm down lol.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Any particular 'good luck charms' that you do before important days?

sam04u said:

Shouldn't the Fun Police be at WYD to maintain the annoyance laws?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
sam04u said:

I believe in luck.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
lyounamu said:
I believe in luck.
me too. You could take a good guess and luck would take you to get it right. Also, with some exams like english, sometimes you might be lucky to get an easy marker :rolleyes:

cookiesncream

HSC
I am probably crazy but I have to wear a this particular pair of earrings and my flower bracelet. And I always bring two calculators for maths and only write in black pen.

HSC
cookiesncream said:
I am probably crazy but I have to wear a this particular pair of earrings and my flower bracelet. And I always bring two calculators for maths and only write in black pen.
What would you do if you only had 1 black pen and another blue pen and the black pen happened to run out in an exam? Would you use the blue one?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)