Any point transferring from UWS Law to MQ Law? (1 Viewer)

McWombo

HSC
As the title suggests, I'm wondering if I should bother transferring from UWS Law to Macquarie Law. In terms of univeristy reputation, is there going to be any difference between the two? I would've thought that since Macquarie Law School has been around significantly longer than UWS Law School that it would've built itself a stronger reputation, but maybe I'm wrong.

Your thoughts?

rubin

HSC
If your concerned about your job prospects just work hard and get good marks where ever you go to.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
It really depends on what you want, reputation is not the be all and end all:
If you care about the reputation - theres a marginal difference, but not much and the MQ Law school is becoming increasingly underfunded. Its only a matter of time before the reputation if MQ is displaced all the problems with the law school, which we students are fighting to address.

Style of teaching: MQ is philosophical/UWS is practical - which do you prefer.

Law society - MQ has a fairly active law society, UWS used to have a fairly inactive one but I hear is changing

Elective choice - look at the electives for both uni's, I wish I had considered this before the transfer.

Transport - which suits you better to get to?

Infrastructure - UWS has some nice new buildings, MQ LAW is in all the old buildings.

In terms of job prospects there isn't that much of a difference, do well, get involved, get work experience and it wont really matter. Look at the factors I meantioned above and think about what suits you better.

Having done what are you suggesting, I wish I had realised the trade off for the slightly added prestige, but these days the difference isnt that much. Best of luck

bryandawn

HSC
N/A
I used to plan to study hard at UWS Law and then transfer out to any other law school in the Sydney area, even thought about going to ANU (which isn't all that difficult to get into by transfer) or Griffith (which has a good name); even though I didn't like the idea of moving interstate.

But now, I'm happy with UWS Law School, I just hope they will change the summer school back to HECS paid. Unless the I'm given an offer to study at USyd or UNSW (which isn't all that likely, seeing I haven't been doing so well in my Arts units), I wouldn't tend to transfer, perhaps UTS I would take time to think about it, or MQ for the general safety in that area, because Campbelltown is a dangerous place.

McWombo

HSC
It really depends on what you want, reputation is not the be all and end all:
If you care about the reputation - theres a marginal difference, but not much and the MQ Law school is becoming increasingly underfunded. Its only a matter of time before the reputation if MQ is displaced all the problems with the law school, which we students are fighting to address.

Style of teaching: MQ is philosophical/UWS is practical - which do you prefer.

Law society - MQ has a fairly active law society, UWS used to have a fairly inactive one but I hear is changing

Elective choice - look at the electives for both uni's, I wish I had considered this before the transfer.

Transport - which suits you better to get to?

Infrastructure - UWS has some nice new buildings, MQ LAW is in all the old buildings.

In terms of job prospects there isn't that much of a difference, do well, get involved, get work experience and it wont really matter. Look at the factors I meantioned above and think about what suits you better.

Having done what are you suggesting, I wish I had realised the trade off for the slightly added prestige, but these days the difference isnt that much. Best of luck
Thanks for your thoughtful response melsc. Good to hear from someone who's done this before.

I've studied previously at MQ, so that's one of the reasons I'd like to do the transfer. The Parramatta campus of UWS is almost like a pretend university compared to MQ. It doesn't even have an ATM on the entire campus (I believe it used to have one, but it was ram-raided a few years back LOL).

Macquarie is also slightly easier to get to for me, but not by a lot.

I do enjoy the practical aspect of UWS, so that's something I need to carefully consider.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Melsc - if you could have your time again, would you have made the same decision to transfer?
I don't think so if I knew what I knew now, I mean, I got heaps more opportunities in terms of mooting and stuff with the law society, but that said I really miss the practical nature of the UWS degree and elective choice. We're also going through hell with the law society at the moment to sort out some issues. They both have their benefits but as someone who loves practical subjects and hates philosophical ones, UWS probably suits me better, plus some of my close friends still go there, you seem to bon best with those you meet in 1st year. That said MQ isn't bad and their arts degree is tones better, but the law faculty is going through the worst time better, I just had to be in the middle of it.

McWombo - I was there when we had an ATM, one day it was there, the next thing you read in the news paper that it was stolen...was a bit annoying esp when the cash out limit as the cafe was like $15-20...now they have lowered it I believe. The library is heaps nicer than it was before too.

Lara1986

HSC
I don't think so if I knew what I knew now, I mean, I got heaps more opportunities in terms of mooting and stuff with the law society, but that said I really miss the practical nature of the UWS degree and elective choice. We're also going through hell with the law society at the moment to sort out some issues. They both have their benefits but as someone who loves practical subjects and hates philosophical ones, UWS probably suits me better, plus some of my close friends still go there, you seem to bon best with those you meet in 1st year. That said MQ isn't bad and their arts degree is tones better, but the law faculty is going through the worst time better, I just had to be in the middle of it.

McWombo - I was there when we had an ATM, one day it was there, the next thing you read in the news paper that it was stolen...was a bit annoying esp when the cash out limit as the cafe was like $15-20...now they have lowered it I believe. The library is heaps nicer than it was before too.

The ATM issue, whilst annoying, isn't so bad now as yes they have lowered the minimum payment and cashout limits at the cafe etc

And now the library and photocopying etc you do via direct funds transfer through a sort of eftpos system, so you can do without cash if you have to.

Additionally - I think the ATM used to be westpac or something so I almost never used it, as did others, because we're all CBA account holders so you got charged anyway for using it :p

McWombo

HSC
Didn't realise you could get cash out from one of the cafes.

sean1990

HSC
this is an old thread but....

Commonwealth ATM in building EB.

Enjoy.

rajputsingh

HSC
The UWS law program is actually quite good and I thoroughly enjoyed it. However what the problem with the law program is the students. Very many students do not care or are not committed enough to be considered law students. I find it appauling how students with insufficient knowledge, committment, work ethic and in general the brains are allowed to undertake in this course. UWS has to stop letting in people with insufficient marks, a lacking in attitude and a total disregard for what a law student encompasses into their course. Perhaps then the law program (and I am quite sure it will) will be seen with higher regard and attract deserving students.

dude01

HSC
The UWS law program is actually quite good and I thoroughly enjoyed it. However what the problem with the law program is the students. Very many students do not care or are not committed enough to be considered law students. I find it appauling how students with insufficient knowledge, committment, work ethic and in general the brains are allowed to undertake in this course. UWS has to stop letting in people with insufficient marks, a lacking in attitude and a total disregard for what a law student encompasses into their course. Perhaps then the law program (and I am quite sure it will) will be seen with higher regard and attract deserving students.
I'm guessing you're a first year student? The students you're referring to are generally filtered out by 4th/5th year, if not after their first year.

I think it's great that uws gives people with lower UAIs a chance at law. Many of these students end up doing really well. It might be easy to get in, but you won't graduate without putting the effort in...

rajputsingh

HSC
I'm guessing you're a first year student? The students you're referring to are generally filtered out by 4th/5th year, if not after their first year.

I think it's great that uws gives people with lower UAIs a chance at law. Many of these students end up doing really well. It might be easy to get in, but you won't graduate without putting the effort in...

Yes I was a first year and I didn't personally like it. I studied my arse off and gained higher marks then the required marks and was pissed off that people who didnt even try or did not even receive a uai 10 points below the cut off gained entry. How is this fair? What was the point of me studying for a whole year when students who didnt try still got in?

dude01

HSC
Yes I was a first year and I didn't personally like it. I studied my arse off and gained higher marks then the required marks and was pissed off that people who didnt even try or did not even receive a uai 10 points below the cut off gained entry. How is this fair? What was the point of me studying for a whole year when students who didnt try still got in?
Does it really matter? At uni everyone's on an even playing field. If those people who had UAIs below the cutoff are getting good marks in uni, then I think they have every right to be there.

Just because you got a higher UAI than some it doesn't make you a better law student;)

rx34

HSC
Yup it doesn't matter if those kids gained entry with 10 uai points below the cut-off. That's only one step of the journey. The difficult part is spending 5 years studying and committing yourself to a degree. Those who strive hard will get distinctions and HDs.

Don't compare yourself with others (UAI, intellect), it doesn't help. Rather strive to be the best in your class.

bryandawn

HSC
N/A
HSC is simply a way to admit new students, but uni is so different from high school, ATAR doesn't mean much when brought into the context of law school. The way uni works is different from high school. Some of the best performers I've seen at UWS law school are the graduate entrants and the mature age students. I never went to high school in Australia, thus haven't sat the HSC, so what? I get distinctions for most of my law assessments and exams, in terms of the final marks, even the lowest I got didn't fall below 70.
If I sat the HSC, I don't know if I would get an ATAR over 90, but it's one of the ways to get into uni, and once you're in, it's your uni marks that matter.

rajputsingh

HSC
You people must be the type of people who I'm reffering to. The students who laugh about how bad they did. The students who laugh about having group assignments and doing nothing and leaving all the work for the one person who actually cares about their mark. The types of people who leave halfway through lectures to go and screw around and most annoying the type of people who gather around in groups in the library in the study section and talk loudly and piss around. No these students do not deserve to be in uni no matter how low their uai was or from whatever disadvantaged group they come from.

rx34

HSC
You people must be the type of people who I'm reffering to. The students who laugh about how bad they did. The students who laugh about having group assignments and doing nothing and leaving all the work for the one person who actually cares about their mark. The types of people who leave halfway through lectures to go and screw around and most annoying the type of people who gather around in groups in the library in the study section and talk loudly and piss around. No these students do not deserve to be in uni no matter how low their uai was or from whatever disadvantaged group they come from.
I hope you're just trolling. But if you are not, please don't generalise and assume everyone in this forum are one of 'those kids'. People who come to this forum do have an interest/concerns about their studies compared to those who don't. I do like UWS and have always supported UWS. I think it's great that UWS allows kids with lower ATARs to do law. Even if they are allowed into law 10 points below the cutoff, so what? As what one of the Veteran BoS members Frigid once wrote, the former dean of USyd said a student who gets a UAI of 80 is sufficiently capable of doing law.

I am not one of 'those people'. I do my work and have an above distinction average GPA. Even at a prestigious G08 university, there are STILL group members who don't give a crap about their marks. They do screw around, talk loudly in tutes and lectures and not do their work. But unlike you, I don't give a fuck about them. They fail= their business. No point of me wasting my time bitching on an online forum.

Last edited:

schtrevey

BBC/LLB
HSC
Yeah, I don't see why you would care if other students don't care about their results and whatnot. At the end of the day you're there for yourself, there will always be bludgers who may end up with you in group assignments just like in high school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)