Any questions about the Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws welcomed here. (1 Viewer)

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Hello all. I'm wondering if this thread is still active.

I'm a student from Melbourne and have received offers from Monash University for the Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Commerce/Law from Macquarie University.
At the moment, I'm weighing between the two as although I am intent on pursuing Law as an Area of Study, I have yet to actually study law myself. As a result, I'm unsure whether as to pursue Com/Law immediately in my 1st year of University studies of try out a year of Commerce before proceeding with a transfer.

I like how these undergraduate Commerce/Law degrees can be completed in 5 years. However, I was hoping to understand more of studies at Macquarie itself. I'm nervous as I have barely heard of it as a university and worry if potential employers in the future would look down on the alma matter and disregard the effort I put into the course.

So between Monash Commerce and Macquarie Commerce/Law, might I ask which would you choose and the reasons why?
Pros of doing Law:
-Firms will highly recognise that extra law degree and you will 'stand' out.
-You will be pretty competitive in the job market as you have a Comm+Law degree in comparison to other Comm students, you will also have legal knowledge that can broaden your career opportunities, depending on how you combine your majors (Accounting+Law or Finance+Law).

Cons:
-Moving to Sydney from Melbourne, it's a huge move.
-Extra 2 years of study + 10,000's of dollars for that extra degree. You could be working and earning an income with the Commerce degree during that time, huge opportunity cost.
-Intensively hard degree.
-Prestige: MQ does fall down in terms of prestige if you compare it to a much superior university such as Monash.

Lol MQ isn't that bad also in terms of reputation, no employer is going to look you down and disregard you, that is utter rubbish. You would need to obviously make yourself 'stand' out further by doing extra curriculars, work experience and etc.

Kingportable

HSC
If your doing B Comm/B. Laws can you double major B. Comm? Is that a good idea?

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
If your doing B Comm/B. Laws can you double major B. Comm? Is that a good idea?
Yes, you can double major in B.Comm.

In regards to if it's a good choice, well it really depends on your career path and opportunities. If you feel that the extra major is necessary then go for it, but it will be an extra year of study.

Proteus

HSC
Yes, you can double major in B.Comm.

In regards to if it's a good choice, well it really depends on your career path and opportunities. If you feel that the extra major is necessary then go for it, but it will be an extra year of study.
Really?!
I thought you could only do 1 major as it says in the handbook "Completion of one qualifying major for the Bachelor of Commerce"

Edit: NVM Didn't see the part where you said extra year of study :biggrin: :tongue: I personally wouldn't double major, considering a combined LLB course is generally 5 years already..

Last edited:

jananee

HSC
Hey! I dont know if you are still replying but hopefully you will see this :)
I just wanted to know how the workload for a comm/law degree is and how the life an Macquarie uni is?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)