Any Tips for Q9 and Q10 in HSC (1 Viewer)

chopstick

HSC
N/A
the Q9 and particularly Q10 are always the part that draggs the mark done. it is often gives some calculus questions, i find it very difficult to solve. please share your tips and suggestions for doing these questions, thank you!

danal353

HSC
the Q9 and particularly Q10 are always the part that draggs the mark done. it is often gives some calculus questions, i find it very difficult to solve. please share your tips and suggestions for doing these questions, thank you!
aahh me too, question 10 makes me want to cry, sometimes question 9...

absorber

HSC
I'm pretty shit at em, but from experience just do heaps of them alone until you notice patterns. They generally only ask for two or three topic areas, calculus (rates of change), time payments and geometry

arjiparji

HSC
N/A
you all know the answer to this so theres no point in making a thread.
practice practice practice!

if youve done enough, you kinda know whats gonna be asked in questions 9+ 10
(e.g loan repayments , velocity +time+accelleration+displacement questions etc)

chopstick

HSC
N/A
i have done pretty much twenty of past papper, but still only did three of Q10 with 12/12

boxhunter91

HSC
i have done pretty much twenty of past papper, but still only did three of Q10 with 12/12
Dw bout trying to get full marks.
It is very unlikely to get full marks in Q9 + 10. Unless your a god.
Guys just look what is being asked and try manipulate formulas to get what is being asked.
And remember if you can't do the 'show' bit you can still do the next one..

sannous1

HSC
questions 9's arent that bad , usually payment questions and the physical world kinda questions, but question 10s on the other hand, jesus, u really jst got to open ur mind really hard and if u dont get through question 10, its ok im sure u guys wuld hav kild questions 1-8

tonyharrison

HSC
Haha i'm attempting to do one now.
It's talking about folding a piece of paper IN THE MOST COMPLICATED WAY POSSIBLE!!
I did suprisingly well in Question 10 in the trials, but i just can't seem to understand them today XD
I also hate the Simpsons rule...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
For Q10, realise that the question usually tests your ability to understand the problem hence they ask you a question that covers 2 or more topics e.g. Physical Application of Calculus and Geometry last year. There are some really easy marks in Q 9&10, so definitely have a go. Also, be aware of mark allocation. You don't need to write 10 lines for like 1 or 2 marks. Oh when it gets to Q10 and usually you get some really long algebra question. When you get that, do it slowly and write it neatly so you can see it going as step-by-step. That usually helps. And also be careful with the calculator in terms of radian & angle - that costs marks ALOT. Anyway, good luck to you and wish you the very best in Mathematics esp. Q9 & 10.

bmn

HSC
Q10s are usually just testing natural maths ability, in order to differentiate the top candidates. Focus on getting the marks you can from them, and hope its an area you can do.

boxhunter91

HSC
It's talking about folding a piece of paper IN THE MOST COMPLICATED WAY POSSIBLE!!
I did suprisingly well in Question 10 in the trials, but i just can't seem to understand them today XD
The ones in HSC are always harder then Q10 trials.

absorber

HSC
2006 hsc, I just tried it, took me ages to get like 2 or 3 marks before I looked at answers lol

tonyharrison

HSC
2006 hsc, I just tried it, took me ages to get like 2 or 3 marks before I looked at answers lol
God i know!
(i) was simple...but i gave up on the (ii) haha.
Usually i manage to understand the hard questions, when i compare to the markers notes, but i just couldn't be fucked for this one haha.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
- like lyounamu has stated, these problems are really about understanding the problem they've given you, and INTERPRETING it in a mathematical manner. Best way to get the hang of this? Just practice. Keep doing past Q10's.

- they generally involve alot of algebra, so perfecting your manipulation skills would cut down the time you take to prove results/get results + answers (this involves differentiation too)

- they'll incorporate more than one topic, so think broadly when you answer the question.

- the general trend over the years has been maximum/minimum questions mashed with another topic. (Q10)

Cloesd

HSC
Q10s are usually just testing natural maths ability, in order to differentiate the top candidates. Focus on getting the marks you can from them, and hope its an area you can do.
All i'm going to recomend is, read the book "How to solve it" By a man named Polya.

It outlines the processes in mathamtical problem solving that work for most problems, and a way of thinking about problems in general.

Although 2u test being tommorow, i doubt it'd be worth attempting to read now.

verdades

HSC
DO NOT sit there and go "awww, screw this, writing out a full page of algebra for 2 marks is so not worth it"
Because you'll probs get a mark. D:

Which is exactly what I've done almost every time I do a practice one >.<
I still get 5/12 most of the time, on Q9 and 10.

blake_ed

HSC
DO NOT sit there and go "awww, screw this, writing out a full page of algebra for 2 marks is so not worth it"
Because you'll probs get a mark. D:

Which is exactly what I've done almost every time I do a practice one >.<
I still get 5/12 most of the time, on Q9 and 10.
Very true - you have to try. Not just 9 and 10 tho...wirte something for every question, a formula, or how you would go about doing it (in english, with words).Best advice I can give though, is look for the clues they give you - "Why is that bit of information important?"..."Why have they out that there?". Its just an exam...the question is answerable and often how they phrase the question is the best clue you can get.Also, keep your mind open...don't just dive in and try answering it...to see the forest (the big picture) rather than the trees (the minor details), avoid getting bogged down.Lastly, if you try, try, try and can't get it, write something down, and then redo Q1-8 to catch up on the mistakes which you HAVE made - theres always a handful.

budi tan

HSC
Maximise your performance in question 1 to 8 then do as much as you can in the last 2 questions. they tend to break down the questions so if you cant do one part then do the others, there is always something that you can do in one question. make use of the results they may have given to you in previous questions, the questions are designed so that you would be able to show the marker what you can do not what you would fall for. best luck!!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)