Anybody have Frankenstein/Blade Runner Essays? (1 Viewer)

raceryt

HSC
:spin:I'm having trouble with writing my essay; i know the content, context, themes etc, however I find it hard to structure these ideas to answer the question in the essay format :( so frustrating.

Could you give me some advice or email me an essay, cause then i'll be able to get an idea of how its written?

This isn't just for me, there are other people who are need of some good blade runner and frankenstein essays, and there isn't any bladerunner/frankenstein essays on the resources page :S.

I know that it sounds like a cheap way to get peoples essays, rehash them and basically plagiarise, but I actually find that I learn the best when I see a few examples. Sorta like the idea where if you see enough good essays, you'll end up writing a good essay :D

:jump::jump::jump:So if you did the hsc last in last year in 2010 or in 2009, just reply on this thread. Many thanks :D

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
Here's mine which received 19/20 for an in-class assessment.

Texts in time was probably the most interesting to study... good luck!!

Attachments

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
^bumping this for 2011 hsc'ers

fakermaker

HSC
Here's mine which received 19/20 for an in-class assessment.

Texts in time was probably the most interesting to study... good luck!!
I have no idea how you got 19/20 for that.

I couldn't finish it (seriously). It seriously read as though you had only just discovered the existence of a thesaurus.

themanman

HSC
N/A

I couldn't finish it (seriously). It seriously read as though you had only just discovered the existence of a thesaurus.
wow, that's unbelievably rude.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

I thought that essay was better than my essay. And I got full marks in the HSC for Module A. :rolleyes2:

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad

lol your opinion mate. I wrote that over a year ago and i do admit it may have been a little too flowery in its wording.
However, I still do think that the essay flowed well if you understood the concepts i put across

yours

HSC
Thankyou for contributing to the otherwise barren resources for english on this site. =)

fakermaker

HSC
Maybe its just me...but looking at the first paragraph alone:

Texts embody paradigms corresponding to their social, economic and historical contexts. The capacity of thematic concepts to transcend time is manifest within Mary Shelley’s 19th century gothic novel Frankenstein (1818) and Ridley Scott’s science fiction film Blade Runner (1992) as both pose similar existentialist discourses regarding the fate of humanity. As a Romanticist, Shelley condemns humanity’s intrusive assumption as creator. Similarly, Scott responds to Shelley warning by also spurning man’s ruthless ambition. However, the film’s 20th century context of capitalist greed and mass industrialisation shifts the criticism onto the pursuit of commercial dominance. Both texts employ techniques such as allusions and characterisation to depict similar dystopian visions ensuing from man’s dereliction of nature.

To me, the bolded words just seem wrong or misused. Here's my attempt...

Texts from a specific context provide new paradigms corresponding to their social, economic and historical framework. The capacity of thematic concepts to transcend time is manifested within Mary Shelley’s 19th century gothic novel Frankenstein (1818) and Ridley Scott’s science fiction film Blade Runner (1992) as both are existentialist discourses regarding the fate of humanity. As a Romanticist, Shelley condemns humanity’s transcendence of God. Similarly, Scott responds to Shelley warning by also spurning man’s ruthless ambition. However, the film’s 20th century critique ofcapitalist greed and mass industrialisation shifts the criticism to the pursuit of commercial dominance. Both texts employ techniques such as allusions and characterisation to depict similar dystopian visions ensuing from man’s neglect of nature.

I admit that I was quite rude, which I apologise for. But above I have rewritten your paragraph, trying to correct any errors that I noticed....I would love to hear your opinion. Once again I apologise (i'm pretty stressed about the exams...yesterday I spend 40minutes yelling at my cat for shedding its fur :/ ).

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
HAHAHA - yelling at your cat. :p It's ok, everyone's allowed to be stressed. [I had more adverse reactions]

I didn't see anything wrong with the original paragraph though. I would maybe agree with 'manifested', and I probably would agree with 'neglect', but aside from that, I would've used every other word there.

elliotwykeham

HSC
you're making some pretty far fetched points.

"Scott’s reflection of a society enveloped within Cold-war paranoia of a potential nuclear disaster is depicted through Tyrell’s violent death at the hands of his own creation. "

really? you sure its not his take on the Palestine's problem or Italy's relationship with north africa or Hemingway's eyebrows?

fakermaker

HSC
you're making some pretty far fetched points.

"Scott’s reflection of a society enveloped within Cold-war paranoia of a potential nuclear disaster is depicted through Tyrell’s violent death at the hands of his own creation. "

really? you sure its not his take on the Palestine's problem or Italy's relationship with north africa or Hemingway's eyebrows?
It's not as clearly expressed as it could be, but what I think he meant:

Cold war = scientific advancement that ultimately threatened its creator.
Replicants = scientific advancement that ultimately threaten its creator.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
It's not as clearly expressed as it could be, but what I think he meant:

Cold war = scientific advancement that ultimately threatened its creator.
Replicants = scientific advancement that ultimately threaten its creator.
^this. I don't know what was so complicated about the symbolism or allusion in that one

It went through about 3-4 teachers/tutors so i'm pretty sure they were okay with it

Last edited:

smartalec

HSC
This essay definitely deserved a 19/20. It had a clear introduction, sophisticated integration of context, fantastic use of quotes and deconstruction to back up your points etc. Yes, its flowery in terms of over use thesaurus but it really heightens meaning for readers and makes it an overall great read.
I honestly don't know why you didn't get 20. and some of you are stupid to think otherwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)