Anyone do martial arts? (1 Viewer)

HookShot

HSC
I'm starting Karate again soon, I used to take it when I was little but quit when I moved :(

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
MathsIsWeird said:
Any one know about small circle Jujitsu and if there are any places within sydney that teach it?
Also about Wing chun i have a big build not body builder build but big does it have any positive or negative affects to learning Wing chun?
Wing Chun (in sydney anyway) is all about relaxation and not using brute force. You can still have a big build as long as you don't rely on it for power (instead relying on structure). You have to be fairly patient with the art to become effective with it. Alot of the guys i train with do complementary arts to go with wing chun (taekwondo, kyokushin karate, jujitsu, escrima, that kinda stuff).

I can't say that i know much about small circle jujitsu (my friend does 'just' jujitsu and is pretty damn good at it). Apparently it's a very good complementary art to wing chun (wing chun doesn't focus that comprehensively on ground fighting as jujitsu does)

Funke

HSC
used to do kung fu and lion dancing
really fun stuff, especially when you perform at events. =]

Shoubadoo

HSC
Hi,
I'd love to start some form of martial arts...I have no idea which.
But most people I know who do it- and it's not many- started when they were really young and I can't find anywhere for beginners of around 17 or so.
Same goes for contemporary dance and so forth. I'm not too keen on relearning dance & beginning a form of martial arts amongst a group of 12 y/o :S
So if anyone knows of any places in the Sydney area where I can do an adult beginners course, twould be great ^_^
Ciao

judoka

HSC
Surprisingly, i am a judo-holic. I also cross train in boxing and tkd/kickboxing as i intend to start MMA when i fisnish my HSC. In my opinion, if you're not training with full contact sparring, your not training to fight, though thats not to say that kata doesn't have its place. Nonetheless, if you don't know what it feels like to punch someone in the face, slam them into the ground and choke them out, and have the same done to yourself then you're never gonna really be ready physically and mentally for the psychological and physiological changes that occur in your body in a combat situation. Fighting is a dirty business, and styles that approach it in a pseudo-religious/spiritual way often lack the training approach necessary to succed in the street and in the cage. Not that overly traditional styles are useless, ultimately training method is much more important than style, as at the end of the day its the fighter that wins the fight, not the style.

Mr.Cassimatis

HSC
mate dont waste ur time on wing chun, the time taken for you to learn the chi movements, and all that you would have learnt a substantial amount in a diffrent code. Jiu Jitsu is the most practical and effective i would reccomend that as Wing Chun, and the ancien martial arts are begining to become less renoun for their effectiveness

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I used to do TKD. I started when I was 7 years old and probably stopped when I was like 10 years old (red belt at that time, I think).

I am pretty crap now...I have no idea how kicks go.

jules.09

HSC
lyounamu said:
I used to do TKD. I started when I was 7 years old and probably stopped when I was like 10 years old (red belt at that time, I think).

I am pretty crap now...I have no idea how kicks go.
Then let's try again, for kicks! :cool:

Haha, couldn't help myself to a lame joke.

benjidarkside

HSC
N/A
i practise kung fu, rare stlye called "dog boxing" focuses alot on ground techniques lots of rolling breakfalls and shit. love it. nothing better to keep ur mind OFF skool than practising martial arts i think.

icecreamk3

HSC
judo

although i'm a beginner and get owned when sparing, it's still fun =)?

Mr Ham

HSC
6 years of Bak Mei and I'm still hopeless at sparing.

steph753

HSC
hi everyone ive been doing karate for a while now and just obtained my shodan (1st degree)

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Tong Long Praying Mantis Kung Fu.

Capoeira.

Muay Thai.

And just recently picked up the Dual Dao (Dual chinese broadswords).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)