Anyone enjoys Classical Music? (1 Viewer)

olay

HSC
fave composer: claude debussy.

fave period: romantic. so many beautiful melodies and so much heart. :) and with all of my fave composers; debussy, chopin, shoshtakovic, liszt, rachmaninov, brahms, grieg... could so go on :D

least fave: baroque. it's so emotionally detached. there's not enough heart in it and though the orchestration for a lot of baroque stuf is really clever, i prefer the emotion of romantic period stuf over the technical, well orchestrated baroque stuf.

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
i like the bumble bee one!

and i really like classical music- and the ones i listen to are mainly Beethoven and Vivaldi as well as Mozart

oh if only i had the talent (and $) to be able to play a bit.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
rachmaninoff's flight of the bumble bee... it's pretty cool, especially if you get to watch someone play it

chopin's nocturnes are nice, as well as liszt's la campanella and liebenstraum

olay

HSC
Bob.J said:
rachmaninoff's flight of the bumble bee... it's pretty cool, especially if you get to watch someone play it

chopin's nocturnes are nice, as well as liszt's la campanella and liebenstraum
err, i don't think rachmaninov composed flight of the bumblebee. it was rimsky-korsakov.

AlysonD

HSC
I like Gershwin (is he classical?), JS Bach, Beethoven, Vivaldi and Handel. Handel mostly because I did this concert thing @ the Sydney town hall and we had to sing 5 choruses from the Messiah...

alien

HSC
favourite classiscal composer-beethoven
i like chopin and heller too
basically whoever i play on piano

Korobushka

HSC
Yes, yes, classical is good. :)

If I can classify Bond as classical...though they're probably some sort of new-age/neo-classical, I really like them. Their modern day cut on the classical genre is great, provides some up-beat stuff that youth might actually like! Plus their slow songs are beautiful.

Do scores count as classical music? :D I love the compositions from Bill Brown (does all the Rainbow Six games), Harry Gregson-Williams (Man On Fire), Harald Kloser (The Day After Tomorrow), Hans Zimmer (Broken Arrow) etc.

I also love Edvard Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite #1, particularly "morning"

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
My knowledge of classical is pretty poor, but I do know I like the 'Warsaw Concerto'.

I also enjoy the classical music on 'A Clockwork Orange' soundtrack... evil/sinister....

chepas

HSC
Mmmm classical music. If we want to be all HSC-ey about it, 'western art music' like people have mentioned already lol...

Myself I'm in a Lieder period now. Schubert and Schumann etc and all their songs sung by baritones of unrequited loves, of Maids of the Mills, Poet's Love, etc. I just curl up witht he score and join their singing, to the chagrin of the neighbours... Gotta love a good German art-song :D. *Das Wanders ist des Müllers Lust, das Wandern* :)...

J.S. Bach seems to be popular here too. I love his "Well-Tempered Clavier", all the preludes and fugues it contains. Especially the C# Major prelude in Book 1. :uhhuh:. I can play it rather dodgily now on the yamaha that has been taxed from school :)rolleyes: ).

Li0n said:
Yeah paganinio is right, but still once you begin to actually love a piece and listen to one of its 'versions' a thousand times you become abit of a perfectionist and every other version that doesn't match up is abit dull. Some pieces are played perfect while others are just shabby, you can FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL it.
I understand comlpetely. The sort of thing can probably be said of the Romantic period, full of all the nationalism and pride etc when people were composing things of their coutnry etc. Like Smetana (my favourite composer), his "My Country/Ma vlast" can be played by anyone, but, as a personal, subjective opinion, I only like it when it's played by a Czech orchestra (considering it was of all things Czech he composed!). The German's can do it well, but yeah. But again, completely subjective.

melimoo said:
1) I must say i strongly dislike baroque and classical music, although was forced to study them. i don't know how you can find them so interesting, they are so predictable, you can sing along with it even if you've never heard the piece before. traditional diatonic melodies and harmonies annoy me. they've been done for centuries.

2) the romantic era was a bit better. more dissonant and surprising (just a little bit) get into some contemporary music. i love that stuff!! It takes a few listens i must admit, but its all worth it. try a bit of miriam hyde. she was my 'transition composer' if you will. (ie. she got me into contemp. art music). anyway thats my rant...in summary...go contemporary
1) Predictablility. It's wonderful! It was safe, was logical, and made sense! Case One again: Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier, stretching some bounds. It just goes through scales and key changes like no tomorrow, so intricate and complex, yet simple when deconstructing them. But definately something along to you could sing! Also, when we think of predictable, we only have to think of popular music... :D

2) Contemporary Art music. For me I just skip straight from Wagner and head to decades later to the Aussie composers of the last few decades :D. Sculthorpe and Boyd etc. And I like the Aboriginal influences and usages there are in 'contemporary' Australian art music. (Then again, still in the mindset of HSC Music 2... hehe). Very interesting.

But go Romantic! But again until just before Wagner.... Ring Cycle. aaaahhhh!

I served Ian Jefferson (Aussi composer - kids choral works, does a lot with Schools Spec etc...) when I was on registers at Target today! It was rather funny...

Re: Bond. Oh dear. I couldn't hear the poor double-bass player at all in half of their stuff! So much other stuff happening on top! And that piece of music that they played all the time, the one that they used in the Athens Olympics ads on Channel 7 all the time. Shudder.... Catchy, but...

Bob.J said:
That would be incredible to see hehe. The Swingle Singers actually did a vocal version of it and it sounded incredible.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
daiana said:
i like the bumble bee one!

and i really like classical music- and the ones i listen to are mainly Beethoven and Vivaldi as well as Mozart
I loved Vivaldi's 4 seasons collection

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
after watching clockwork orange ,

Beethoven - 9th Symphony inspired me to like classical music . but i liked it before too

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Hey whats that song out of Die Hard, thats aight song

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
I can't play or class any type of classical instrument or music, but the 'deeper' classical, (has a number of chellos i it) appeals to me. To many high-pitched instruments turns me off.

The only classical cd I own is the Russian Red Army Choir's. Russian classical, especially from the Soviet era, has so much passion in it and the choir is brilliant. Most 1920's music sucks hard, but the Red Army Choir pretty much made a genre of its own.

Techno remixes- so cool.

Revolution

HSC
Classical music is okay, I s'pose. It's good, but it's not the best.

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
I don't listen to much classical music but I love John Williams & the Boston Pops orchestra.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)