Anyone get a scholarhsip yet? (1 Viewer)

Plebeian

I was offered the USyd Merit Scholarship from Engineering today :D (5000/yr for 5 years)... This was the highest value I was eligible for ... insane eco & business faculty with their excessive wealth :p

SeDaTeD

HSC
Still no rejection letter, still no scholarship offer... waiting, waiting, waiting... Hmm, I was a peer support leader, would that help? 98 for both ext1 and ext2 maths so I hope that'd boost my chances. Do some people wait as long as February before they are offered a scholarship?

Last edited:

Claudia

HSC
N/A
I also posted this somewhere else......faculty of eco and business:

Dean’s Undergraduate Scholarship
in Economics and Commerce
Value: $15,000 per year for three years (or four years
maximum with Honours), subject to satisfactory
progress.
Awarded: One scholarship annually
Criteria: Minimum UAI of 99.5 in NSW HSC or
equivalent for entry to a Bachelor of Commerce,
Bachelor of Commerce (Liberal Studies), Bachelor of
Economics, Bachelor of Economic and Social Sciences,
or Bachelor of International Studies.
Faculty of Economics and Business
Scholarships with Distinction
Value: $10,000 per year for up to four years, subject to
satisfactory progress.
Awarded: Up to ten scholarships annually
Criteria: Minimum UAI of 98 (plus other achievements)
and endorsement from your school.
Faculty of Economics and Business
Scholarships with Merit
Value: $5,000 per year for up to four years, subject to
satisfactory progress.
Awarded: Up to 30 scholarships annually
Criteria: Minimum UAI of 95 (plus other achievements)
and endorsement from your school.
Scholarships
exclusive to Economics and Business
David W Johnson Scholarship
Value: $10,000 per year for up to three years, subject to
satisfactory progress.
Criteria: Academic excellence, demonstrated
leadership skills and other attributes, awarded to a
student from regional NSW enrolled in a Bachelor of
Commerce.
Wayne Lonergan Distinguished
Undergraduate Scholarship
Value: $10,000 for up to three years (or four years with
Honours), subject to satisfactory progress.
Criteria: Awarded on academic merit to students from
State schools.
Eric Campbell Scott Scholarship
Value: $3,000 per year for three years (or four years
maximum with Honours), subject to satisfactory
progress.
Criteria: Minimum UAI of 96 in NSW HSC or equivalent
plus a genuine financial need (normally determined by
eligibility for Austudy/Abstudy). Documentary evidence
must be supplied with application.

Claudia

HSC
N/A
SeDaTeD said:
Still no rejection letter, still no scholarship offer... waiting, waiting, waiting... Hmm, I was a peer support leader, would that help? 98 for both ext1 and ext2 maths so I hope that'd boost my chances. Do some people wait as long as February before they are offered a scholarship?
YEh it might have been lost in the mail. Did you get 99,95 or 100? anything else apart from peer support? That helps, but they look for drama, music -- the arts etc. You would wait till Feb only if someone who got offered a scholarship doesnt have USYD as their first pref .......no rejection letter is hopeful

SeDaTeD

HSC
Not a lot apart from peer support. I got 99.65. I didn't do much drama or music, though I did get a Highly Commended award for a drawing in some visual arts competition in year 9, but I don't think that'd have much effect. I'm looking for one in the Faculty of Science, intending mathematics major. Got a fair few maths awards through the years, but not as good as some of the other guys haha.
What if it did get lost in the mail? Do people that receive scholarships have to reply to accept, and if there is no reply, do the unis assume that you are not accepting it?
Ah well, if I don't get one it doesn't bother me, it'd just be a nice bonus if I did.

Claudia

HSC
N/A
Congrats on the maths results, esp ext 2. Yeh i know ppl who had theirs lost in the mail. Call the scholarship faculty (talk to Iain) if u havnt heard from them by tomorow. They close over Christmas. I wanted to do combined maths/commerce there, and it was the commerce faculty that offered. The maths department i dont think offers as mcuh...... gl dude you seem like you deserve it.

Also yeh about replying to accept....you have to send a signed form back to them by Jan 7.....no other rep is required, unless you reject in which case they want to know aSAP

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
Techie said:
I was offered the USyd Merit Scholarship from Engineering today :D (5000/yr for 5 years)... This was the highest value I was eligible for ... insane eco & business faculty with their excessive wealth :p
Damn! so you couldn't get the $8000pa one? I thought those were university wide and required a UAI over 98?

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
those no longer exist, apparently they were an administrative nightmare, and so now there are more $5000 ones on offer instead. Spreading the wealth and all that.....

pim

Has any1 else still not heard anything? i got a confirmation of application letter a few months ago but havent heard anything since

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
acmilan said:
Could be that you are on the reserve list
I'm on the reserve list and I got a letter telling me that I was on the list.....it is possible that they were shortlisted....depends on which faculty really

pim

i applied for the ecos and bus faculty does any1 know anything bout scholarships in that faculty?

picaresque

HSC
Everyone I know that got a scholarship from the eco and bus faculty or through it seemed to have all received their letters on the same day - about two weeks ago. I however, recieved mine late, but that was because I had moved and had forgotten to contact them.

AGB

HSC
Would someone mind explaining to me what the 'reserve list' is?

I have seen it mentioned a few times but have no idea what people are talking about...

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
AGB said:
Would someone mind explaining to me what the 'reserve list' is?

I have seen it mentioned a few times but have no idea what people are talking about...
Well....the first people who are offered scholarships were shortlisted (they get provisional offers)......if any of them reject their scholarship then it is offered to a person on the reserve list....there are approximately 30 ppl shortlisted and 50-60 ppl on the reserve list.....when you're on the reserse list u may be on the top of the list (therefore u get the first availiable offer) or at the bottom of the list (u have little chance of getting the scholarship)....they actually don't tell you where u are on the list....

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
I don't really know.... I think approximately 10 ppl reject mostly because they're going to a different uni or got a higher scholarship offer....some ppl who are shortlisted don't even get a UAI over 95 so their scholarship is given to another person... (all this info I got from a friend who is studying at Usyd and she was on the reserve list but still got a $5k per year scholarship)

t.

HSC
eco n business

I got the $10,000 p.a. scholarship from USYD a couple of weeks ago. (from the faculty of eco and business) except I didn't apply for it particularly, they got my statement and UAI from the admin office etc etc. But yeah, my UAI was 99.50.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)