Anyone here a Mac user? (1 Viewer)

appletoa

HSC
I like the cse labs at UNSW, imacs running Linux (Debian, I think). And the macs in the first year physics labs :) . Think the maths labs are supposed to have some Windows machines as well as Linux, but haven't bothered to check them out yet.

youngmin

HSC
< Macbook, doing Computer Science @ UNSW

I use Windows 7 whenever I'm gaming though

HSC
macs are wayyyyy better than pcs

every time i have to use windows at uni or on a friend's computer or something, i just want to shoot myself

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The only things I like on Windows machines are gaming and Excel. And MSN.

I wish Mac had better versions of Office and MSN.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The only things I like on Windows machines are gaming and Excel. And MSN.

I wish Mac had better versions of Office and MSN.
You're kidding, right? Messenger on windows is an utter piece of shit. The chat window is 50% unused, 25% ads and 25% actual useful message box/conversation thread. Adium - Download

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
1. I'm talking Microsoft clients here. There's always going to be plenty of non-standard/genuine options but at the flick of a switch, you could be left in the dark... as for the standard MSN Messenger- I'm still using my 7.5 (which I guess could be turned off at any time too?) with Msgplus and the relevant mess.be patch and I find this is perfect for my needs. I think the new WLM has a nice interface but probably a bit too "full-on" for me. The Mac one is just crap in comparison.

2. Anyone who thinks iWork or Microsoft Excel for Mac is comparable to the Windows counterpart is dreaming. I've tried using both of these and none of them are as smooth/fluid as the Windows versions for some reason. That's before you take into account quite a few features which aren't available in terms of advanced data analysis which I use for investment analysis/modelling.

Like I said in my above posts, I love using my Mac when I can (heck I've bought two current-ish ones running SL) and am an active iTunes user/iPhoto/etc..., but even as a Mac fan, I accept there are some programs which are still better on Windows.

ps. I'm still a Mac fan even after getting a splinter in my Macbook.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The thing is that these non standard clients have existed for years and years and Microsoft's not really done much to hurt them. Excel on PC has a few features the Mac ones don't, but if you're going too much above what Numbers offers you're probably getting into R/SPSS territory *shrug*

greekgun

HSC
Almost all the software engineers/computer scientists I know use macs
lolwut?
Everyone I know in my course (computer science), and others in computer engeneering, eletrical engeneering and other similar degrees uses a PC. Im yet to meet a computer science student that uses a mac. Using a mac for computer programming is crazy when you could use a PC; pretty much because the access to the API and libraries (especially in java) is that much faster. Not meaning to bash mac users here, althought i dont like them at all.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
lolwut?
Everyone I know in my course (computer science), and others in computer engeneering, eletrical engeneering and other similar degrees uses a PC. Im yet to meet a computer science student that uses a mac. Using a mac for computer programming is crazy when you could use a PC; pretty much because the access to the API and libraries (especially in java) is that much faster. Not meaning to bash mac users here, althought i dont like them at all.
Especially in Java? Last I checked Java was cross platform. In fact, last I checked, being compile once run anywhere was the entire reason it came to be.

greekgun

HSC
Well, I do go to a better Uni than you so I guess that's probably why.

UNSW 4 lyfe.
Ummm i go to a uni in a different state, so how would you know how good my uni is? And Latrobe university has one of the best computer science course in Melbourne.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
yeah but melbourne is a fucking shit hole with anachronistic public transport

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Macs are better for programming for Macs, Linux is awesome for coding for everything and Windows is just... Crap.

And Withoutaface is right about Java being cross-platform, greekgun you are an idiot.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The thing is that these non standard clients have existed for years and years and Microsoft's not really done much to hurt them. Excel on PC has a few features the Mac ones don't, but if you're going too much above what Numbers offers you're probably getting into R/SPSS territory *shrug*

Pretty much. There's no equivalent for very advanced data analysis/modelling on the Mac versions and it also helps that the Windows machines have native ways of connecting to & querying various data sources e.g. accounting systems in order to retrieve the full GL/set of data. Hopefully with more Mac users, Microsoft will finally make Excel comparable to the Windows version or... dare I say it, identical?! That would be perfect.

ps. I'm glad someone here actually realises that Numbers, whilst a great spreadsheet tool for 95% of people, isn't actually used by those in finance.

pps. The iMacs running Unix or whatever at UNSW are pointless. They could've made do with normal boxes which would've cost a lot less. The whole point of buying Mac is to buy the Mac experience including the OS and all that it entails... akin to people who buy a Mac for the image and then solely use Windows on it.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I dont know why anyone would willingly code in Windows except maybe C#/.NET.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Or if you are in mechanical or aeronautic or naval engineering in which case you need CATIA or Pro/E or equivalent. I think siemens have a CAD/CAM package that runs on mac but I have no idea what it's like.,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)