• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Anyone here do strength training? (1 Viewer)

Venom.

HSC
oh, i read it as 57.5kg barbells at first, not dumbells.

holy shit thats insane!
He was the biggest guy I've ever seen IRL. He had a spotter (obvious requirement) and the gym just stopped and watched him pump out 5 reps.

Pace_T

HSC
i can go higher than 32.5kg dumbells 8 or more reps but i cant mount/dismount it lol

arghhh

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
i just want to get to 186 pounds and I'll be happy, higher than that is a bonus.

mootlicker

HSC
N/A
Fail. You should be able to bench your own bodyweight within a year.
I was assuming that this is for people starting from scratch e.g. slightly overweight, skinny kids

What I've read mostly is just people going on about is flat barbell and dumbbell bench press, you do realise there are other exercises out there people.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
my left trap is bigger than my right trap, lol.

from lugging my over-the-shoulder bag to uni, especially when i take my laptop.

mootlicker

HSC
N/A
On a side note, a guy came to the gym today and benched 57.5kg dumbells. Everyone in the weights room ogled.
I'm guessing your weights room is full of nerdy students fantasising about bigger muscles.

Scissors

HSC
I'm guessing your weights room is full of nerdy students fantasising about bigger muscles.
tbh, i kinda agree. 57.5 kg dumbell press isn't that extraordinary. it's good, but nothing amazing.

that's like benching 115 kg using a barbell.

quik.

HSC
Dumbells are harder to bench than a barbell. Adding the two dumbells together isn't a realistic estimate of his barbell bench lol. Either way the guy is strong but not freakishly so.

Venom.

HSC
tbh, i kinda agree. 57.5 kg dumbell press isn't that extraordinary. it's good, but nothing amazing.

that's like benching 115 kg using a barbell.
I dunno, it was the maximum weight dumbells in the gym. And also, try and dumbell bench press the combined weight you barbell bench press.

slip00knot

HSC
i've been going to the gym on and off for about 5 years. i can bench 130 kilos. about 20 times i think is my record. but i haven't been for 6 months now so thats probably gone down a significant amount :eek:

slip00knot

HSC
really? you must have a 1RM of about 265-280 kg, easily a world record for your weight and age, considering what you said is not complete bullshit, which im guessing it is.
you dont even know how much i weigh dickhead

Fattyboombas

HSC
i've been going to the gym on and off for about 5 years. i can bench 130 kilos. about 20 times i think is my record. but i haven't been for 6 months now so thats probably gone down a significant amount :eek:
ahaha, provide us with a video of you doing 20 reps of 130kg. i'm quite certain you'd be the strongest person in the world for your age group.

slip00knot

HSC
number 1. its not free weight so its not incredibly difficult.
number 2. i highly doubt that would make me the strongest person of my year in the world, i used to go have a personal trainer 3 times a week. which focused entirely on upper body strength, plus i used to do protein drinks/whey powder almost everyday. not to mention the martial arts i used to do from monday to thursday after school. to the idiot who said put up a video. i mentioned earlier i probably couldn't do it anymore because thats all stopped now except the muay-thai.

slip00knot

HSC
1. Never mention lifts you have made on a machine, girls use machines, men use free weights.

2. Three upper body sessions a week is ridiculously stupid, proving you have little or no idea whatsoever about how to train with weights properly. I can't begin to fathom the muscular imbalances in your body if this is the case. No properly trained personal trainer in their right mind would allow such an unbalanced program.

3. Martial arts builds up muscular endurance and as such is very beneficial to pushup efficieny rather than bench press.

You've confirmed my suspicion that you're an idiot who wants to act big but really when it comes to it you're just a weak nerd.

Just to finish, you claim you lifted 130 x 20 at the start of Year 11. Think about how fake that sounds.
alright. i really couldn't give a shit whether or not you believe me. the fact of the matter is that i could do it. and i'm sorry but i didn't realise year eleven started in october 08. dickhead

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Try doing leg cranks, they are amazing.
We do alot of strength training for our legs, and finish daily with these babies!

Lots of jumping.

20 squats
40/leg alternating lunges
20/leg split squat jumps
20 squat jumps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)