Anyone into photography? (1 Viewer)

WinterPalace

HSC
Your pics are awesome!! I like photography, im no pro at it and i don't have a fancy camera but its a hobby i enjoy ^^
visit my website for my works if you like::
winterpalace.deviantart.com

DeltaOne1

HSC
I am into Photography, Do it just about every day, I mostly do Landscapes and the occasional Youth event etc.

I love taking photo's of Landscapes and Macro shooting, I recenty went down to a lake and took some of a Sunset, Absolutely beautiful the photo's turned out.

Full 8MP, Highest Quality, Sad thing is I didn't have time to adjust the settings myself so I just used Auto, but even that turned out great!!!

I'll post some up when I Watermark them and fiddle with them through the week.

imike

HSC
N/A
Your picture are beautifully taken. I like photography, but I am not an expert however take good photo are my hobbies and I love it as I can use my creativity to take and than edit the picture. The outcome is fulfilling and enjoyable...

amelia 2

HSC
hay those photos you took are amazing! i'm really passionate about photography also and am looking at universities for next year for photography does anyone have any recommendations about any good uni's, ?
thanx xoxo amelia

daydreamkitty

Love me hate me, meh.....
HSC
My first camera was given to me when i was 6.
Today I am using an analog but want to purchase digital due to the fact that I am doing alot of practical work and i have to document it. On an analog I cant really tell if it came out.

So sometime next week with my buddy ( who i took photos for last years 150th anniversary of the railways ) going to buy a camera. My photos are a bit random. I love the influence of light and natural Items in photos.

:)
-Loui

Ellie_Belly

HSC
I used to love photography when I was a kid. Then I forgot about it a bit and lately I've started it again.

You can check my stuff out here:

ellie-the-dreamer.deviantart.com/

But right now deviantart is down. So I was just looking around BOS for photography and came across this.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Photography is great. Mainly playing around with my Canon S3-IS at the moment.. very interested in the EOS 400D.

I've also always wanted a good pocket camera.. but the entire range of the IXUS series seems to have full manual mode missing. That is, shutter-speed priority seems to be hidden somewhere in the functions menu and no idea about aperture. The G7 is funky too.

justbecause

icanhascheezburger
HSC
I just bought myself a Polaroid Sun LMS 600 camera a few weeks ago. Trying out different styles. I'd really like to try out the Holga. It sounds interesting.

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
Used to when I did art in high school, now just don't have the time for it.
I had Canon s45, great camera. Now I've got Panasonic FX7, great image stabilization without flash (which I hate in compact cameras)
and of cos, sexy leica lens :eek:

Wanna get a cheap film SLR for b/w photography
i <3333333333333333 developing my own film!
so... anyone? =D

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Collin said:
Photography is great. Mainly playing around with my Canon S3-IS at the moment.. very interested in the EOS 400D.

I've also always wanted a good pocket camera.. but the entire range of the IXUS series seems to have full manual mode missing. That is, shutter-speed priority seems to be hidden somewhere in the functions menu and no idea about aperture. The G7 is funky too.
400d is a very sexy entry level slr digital camera, though it may sound vain avoid the silver finish as it scratches and the black looks far more pro (I have the lowly 300d, which i've had for nearly 2 years now). Invest in a couple of 1gb cards if you can too, look around in the internet for good deals, I have a super fast one I got for like $30. Man I spend way too much money on photography related products (processing, accessories etc).

The S3-13 is also a very commendable digital point and shoot camera and i'd probably get one of those if I could afford it as a party/everyday camera.
Canono's Ixus range is merely for sleek looks and families/people just wanting snapshots I personally believe, you're far better off with the smaller sized Powershot series (excl. S3-13). The Powershot series has the manual function which is quite interesting though nothing compares to a dSLR!! That or the G7 (hot, but like i'm an SLR/dSLR girl at heart :mad1:). I've used the IXUS a few times and I agree about the complicated "manual" settings.

If I could get any of the cameras, i'd get
dSLR - EOS 1Ds Mark II (Aim to get this before i'm 21)
Compact - Powershot G7
Super Compact - Top IXUS [there's not alot of variation between them is there?]

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
(^o^) said:
Used to when I did art in high school, now just don't have the time for it.
I had Canon s45, great camera. Now I've got Panasonic FX7, great image stabilization without flash (which I hate in compact cameras)
and of cos, sexy leica lens :eek:

Wanna get a cheap film SLR for b/w photography
i <3333333333333333 developing my own film!
so... anyone? =D

Mmm I love wet photography too... just wish i had greater access to a darkroom!
I also love underwater photography (i used it in my major HSC artwork)

Collin

HSC
N/A
luscious-llama said:
400d is a very sexy entry level slr digital camera, though it may sound vain avoid the silver finish as it scratches and the black looks far more pro (I have the lowly 300d, which i've had for nearly 2 years now). Invest in a couple of 1gb cards if you can too, look around in the internet for good deals, I have a super fast one I got for like $30. Man I spend way too much money on photography related products (processing, accessories etc).

The S3-13 is also a very commendable digital point and shoot camera and i'd probably get one of those if I could afford it as a party/everyday camera.
Canono's Ixus range is merely for sleek looks and families/people just wanting snapshots I personally believe, you're far better off with the smaller sized Powershot series (excl. S3-13). The Powershot series has the manual function which is quite interesting though nothing compares to a dSLR!! That or the G7 (hot, but like i'm an SLR/dSLR girl at heart :mad1:). I've used the IXUS a few times and I agree about the complicated "manual" settings.

If I could get any of the cameras, i'd get
dSLR - EOS 1Ds Mark II (Aim to get this before i'm 21)
Compact - Powershot G7
Super Compact - Top IXUS [there's not alot of variation between them is there?]
I just got the 400D the other day! Personal preference I guess, but I thought the silver finish looked more sexay.. so I got that one. The black finish would probably look more 'professional'.. but then you've gotta consider that alot of Canon's EF telephoto zoom lens are stark white.. and I think in terms of aesthetics a big fat white lens with a black body just looks a bit odd.

Oh and for humour's sake, go check out the EF 1200mm prime:
http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/images/images17.php

Hahahahahaha.

I got a decently fast 1GB CF the other day, but I'm gonna look into 4GB soon. I'm gonna get a battery grip for the camera, and with two standard NB-2LHs, some people talk about getting 700-800 shots. Now the standard 10.1MP JPEG on the 400D takes up about 3.8MB and the equivalent RAW around 10MB; I'm gonna need atleast 4GB for each dual-battery discharge cycle.

As for the camera.. everything seems good at the moment. The only thing which has been of an issue to me is that I miss the higher depth of field results I get with smaller compact point & shoots with a smaller matrix.. such as with my S3. That's so far only been an issue for my night/dim-lighted indoor shoots, since a smaller aperture compensation forces a slower shutter.. and I don't bring tripods to those events. Another thing is the absence of spot metering.. but that isn't a biggie at all really for me.

Anyway I was thinking of getting the EF 28-105mm IS USM lens.. reviews are generally good but I heard quality can vary quite a bit if you get a 'bad copy'.

The G7 is quite hot indeed.. I LOVE that separate ISO dial. Retro looks funky too. But besides that, alot of people are finding it hard to justify the relatively large price difference over say, the PS A710IS/A640. My friend got an 710IS the other day, they are freaking nice too. The only real disadvantage I felt the G7 had over it was the MP count and the XGA movie mode.. but atm I won't bother with another point and shoot until they release XGA movie mode with 30fps. I took so many VGA 15fps movies on my older A510 whilst overseas a little while ago.. and man, the 30fps VGA + stereo on my S3 really kick butt over it. And I LOVE the dedicated movie recording button on the S3.

As for variation over the IXUS's.. not really. The new 900 Ti (and I think one other IXUS model.. maybe the 850IS) sports the new DIGIC III with face-tracking and other discreet improvements.. but apart from that, the MP count and the XGA recording mode, they seem pretty similar. Sensor quality seems similar too between all the IXUSes in the last 12-18 months. In my opinion though, even though IXUSes are SUCH sexy little cameras with sexy big screens and that little light body - until they get Tv and Av modes.. I wouldn't personally buy them. If they released an IXUS with those modes + full manual along with XGA @ 30fps stereo sound, IS, 4-6x optical zoom and a 9-point AF AND manual 1-point focus with a 3" screen (only one with 3" LCD right now is the IXUS 65 I believe).. I would be pretty eager to buy it. :)

Last edited:

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Any of you photography "gurus" have any advice for a not so artsy person trying to get into the hobby? I have a Nikon D50 which I really like, always wanted an SLR camera just for the extra control.

Now I've heard it said that the difference between visual artsy people and sciencey/mathsy people are the former can see a scene as a bunch of shapes, colours, etc, whereas the latter see just actual objects. I can take good photos of huge scenes: cityscapes, landscapes, wide angle shots of uni, but when it comes to individual objects or more asbtract kind of weird closer, smaller scenes my photographs simply suck.

This photo is deadset AMAZING but if I was there I'd be walking along thinking "oh, this is some random bridge, not worth taking a photo of..." what is it that you guys are seeing that I'm not? :( Is there anything that can be done or am I a lost cause?

J

jhakka

Dumsum said:
Any of you photography "gurus" have any advice for a not so artsy person trying to get into the hobby? I have a Nikon D50 which I really like, always wanted an SLR camera just for the extra control.

Now I've heard it said that the difference between visual artsy people and sciencey/mathsy people are the former can see a scene as a bunch of shapes, colours, etc, whereas the latter see just actual objects. I can take good photos of huge scenes: cityscapes, landscapes, wide angle shots of uni, but when it comes to individual objects or more asbtract kind of weird closer, smaller scenes my photographs simply suck.

This photo is deadset AMAZING but if I was there I'd be walking along thinking "oh, this is some random bridge, not worth taking a photo of..." what is it that you guys are seeing that I'm not? :( Is there anything that can be done or am I a lost cause?
I find that taking photos with someone else helps majorly. Even if you just watch what they're doing/taking photos of, it gives you that bit of a nudge in a direction. Then it's just a matter of taking it one step further and doing your own thing.

Anyways, my photos can be found at http://jhakka.deviantart.com

Some of my personal favourites are:
Road to somewhere:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40049384/

Restricted:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40049202/

Bright ideas (3rd in Photosoc [USyd] Abstract [Macro Close-Up] competition 2006):
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/38566494/

Casualty:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37870608/

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
When, I mean IF i get a SLR it WILL be in black, cos it just looks so sexy :eek: silver finish just reminds me of normal compact cameras.
However i'm too poor to afford SLR and all the other stuff like external flash, better tripod, lens cleaning kit etc

Dumsum: You mean you can't "capture the true emotion of people" and all those arty crap? :p
I agree with jhakka, grab a buddy and learn from him/her.
Sometimes, taking photos are also an appreciation of something as well. Try start from taking photos with those golden ratio (squares!?!); look at photography books, walk around and observe things around you, or jsut simply shot things that interest you.

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
ah, to you maybe...

not my cup of tea tho

AznPrsuazn

HSC
Yep absolutely!!
i love photography(and Photoshop!!XD)
i did photography in year 11 and dropped it in year 12 coz it didnt count for uai:( but i still did art so i submitted my photos in for my major work!!:D

i have a Sony f828 Cybershot, and iv taken hundreds of shots in the city, the opera house, harbour bridge, and around the Rocks area, with an infra-red lense with a neutral density filter:)

here are jus 2 out of the hundreds that iv taken:D
enjoy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)