anyone who can do the paper in ~1hr and get 80+, I have a question for you! (1 Viewer)

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
How do your space your time?

e.g. how long it takes you to do q1-3, 4-5, 6-7 or q1-4, 5-7

I find it usually takes me 15 mins to do q1-2, 25 mins to do q3-4, 10-15mins to do q5 ... that's 50+ mins already :(

ughhhh idk why it just takes me so long to do the curve sketching questions. when there are less of those i can do q1-5 in 45mins, but when there are like 3 it takes me 65mins what the fuck...

either way I have never done q7 in less than 15 mins -> do people who finish the paper in 1hr only spend like 10mins on this one?!

apollo1

Banned
HSC
wow your doing pretty well for a 3u student. also you should have questions 1-6 and first part of 7 finished within 47-55 minutes at the most. and then you give yourself like 30 minutes for question 7 the last part. then check your answers for the rest of the time.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
wow your doing pretty well for a 3u student. also you should have questions 1-6 and first part of 7 finished within 47-55 minutes at the most. and then you give yourself like 30 minutes for question 7 the last part. then check your answers for the rest of the time.
lol thanks i manage to screw up either shm or projectiles every time though... did q1-6a) in 50mins for 2005 hsc paper a few days ago, was SO happy, turned to 6b)... then had NO IDEA how to do the projectiles lololol fml.

for me 1-4 takes 20 mins 5 and 6 takes 20 mins last question takes 20 mins
crap 48 marks in 20mins? 3-6mins per question? teach me how to b pro :(

lol wtf beast

last year when i was studying for this i took around 40mins for 1-5 and then like the rest of the time on 6-7
that's pretty pro too o; how long should it take to do q1-2? i'll assume 15mins is too long to make the exam in ~1hr lolol

michaeljennings

HSC
crap 48 marks in 20mins? 3-6mins per question? teach me how to b pro :(
Just practice enough so taht you dont make silly mistakes, then you wont have to 2nd guess yourself for any questions in the first 1-4 questions because they arent meant to be hard so in the end you can just race through it. Also, for the HSC, use your reading time wisely and try figure out the circle geo question before the exam starts so you dont have to waste time on it later.

D94

HSC
N/A
Q1 to Q5 are relatively easy, so I space my time out and average it about 10 minutes per question. Then I have a little over an hour to do Q6-7 and checking time.

Last edited:

K4M1N3

HSC
This is going to sound stupid, does anyone use different colour pens for writing down question numbers? I swear it wastes so much time taking the pen off the lid putting it back on taking the lid off the blue pen etc.

michaeljennings

HSC
This is going to sound stupid, does anyone use different colour pens for writing down question numbers? I swear it wastes so much time taking the pen off the lid putting it back on taking the lid off the blue pen etc.
why do you do this to begin with?

zhiying

HSC
Hmm for me last year it was 1-5 in 1hr and rest for 6-7 + checking.

barbernator

HSC
Does ext2 mathematics give any simple ways to answer questions, or does it just give more exposure to difficult questions? because i am doing MX1 accelerated and im wondering if not doing MX2 this year will be a great detriment??

barbernator

HSC
also, do u guys think reading time should be used to look at Q 6-7 or to start to work through Q1 in your head?

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
MX2 definitely makes MX1 easier.

I read from the back of the paper, check out what the harder questions involve and then see how easy Question 1 is. If I can do them instantly in my head then I'll go through and see what I can't do straight away.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
Just practice enough so taht you dont make silly mistakes, then you wont have to 2nd guess yourself for any questions in the first 1-4 questions because they arent meant to be hard so in the end you can just race through it. Also, for the HSC, use your reading time wisely and try figure out the circle geo question before the exam starts so you dont have to waste time on it later.
that's what i always do with circle geo hehe :D it's my most confident topic w combs/perms/binomial theorems+prob/MI

20 mins though... machine :(

Hmm for me last year it was 1-5 in 1hr and rest for 6-7 + checking.
yeah I do this but I want to be faster :( your mark is pretty good though eh! i'd be pretty satisfied with 48. it's the minimum i'm looking for lol, but it'd be nice if i could get 49.

also, do u guys think reading time should be used to look at Q 6-7 or to start to work through Q1 in your head?
?? I don't think there's a point in doing q1 in your head... it's all easy substitution etc. so you think as you write, it's not like you can evaluate square roots of decimals in your head or need to plan how to figure out the eqn of a tangent ~ as mj said do the circle geo. when i get that done i quickly flick through the paper and see which qn might be harder and take me longer -> i take a look at q7 projectiles or the perms/combs qn cos sometimes they're really long and take you a while to read during the exam

or sometimes i read the 3d trig qns if they don't have a diagram, and mentally draw it first lol

blackops23

HSC
1-5 takes about 45-50 minutes.

Q6 takes about 15 minutes.

Q7 takes over 60-65 minutes. Basically I spend the whole fucking hour raking my brain trying to figure out how to finish Q7 LOL

Btw how are you meant to use reading time? I normally scan thru the paper in the first 30seconds, and then spend the rest of my time twiddling my thumbs... im guessin ur meant to take advantage of it?

Last edited:

mirakon

nigga
HSC
whole exam should take you about 1hour 30 minutes working comfortably.

q 1-4 about half an hour

q 5-6 about half an hour

q 7 about half an hour

blackops23

HSC
whole exam should take you about 1hour 30 minutes working comfortably.

q 1-4 about half an hour

q 5-6 about half an hour

q 7 about half an hour
hmmm.... i've done papers where i've done q1-5 without taking a single break of thinkin, i.e. continuous writing nonstop yet it took me about 50 minutes - and i wrote fast...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)