Anything besides "Education" to Asian parents are considered unnecessary. (1 Viewer)

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by deyveed
Hmm...I dunno. I guess people can joke about it because it is a pain they know well.

Yeah but then again people can't.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
ok, ok... i have raise too much controversy, should i edit my post to something else?

is a roflcopter
HSC
hmm back on topic

stop using your parents as an excuse for being nerdy folks :D

we all want 100 uai and law and medicine and all that
our parents have no part in it, its all intrinsically driven

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by Newbie
hmm back on topic

yeah, its called being human..

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Originally posted by Survivor39
ok, ok... i have raise too much controversy, should i edit my post to something else?

no, no its good. It will bring war! lol j/k. Its a topic that has been hidden and l dunno maybe it has to come out of the box..

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by sarah_#1_eel
no, no its good. It will bring war! lol j/k. Its a topic that has been hidden and l dunno maybe it has to come out of the box..
oh crap.....it was meant to be a friendly discussion...

I brough it up because I wanted to buy a telescope and my mum won't let me. She said it was "useless" and "expensive", and should put those money into uni fees next year (education). :(

Last edited:

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Hmm... On the other hand, I, myself, want to do Medicine but my mum is trying to make me do something else because she is scared of the diseases i could catch. e.g. SARS
Despite that, i'm still trying to Med full steam ahead!

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
education is imporatnt, no doubt, because it is the rest of your life. Just think if you become rich with this education of yours you can buy all the telescopes you want!

l'm just going to high school, get a UAI and with that UAI pick a job and go for it!

fatmuscle

HSC
go watch 'I Not Stupid'

Education is No1 priority from early ages till you're married

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huy
I'm asian... and I like making fun of my own race. LOL
Come on... it's funny!!! :D

Okay, maybe it's just me...

HELL YEAH :D

hahha hopefullly..lawyer here! :D but that ws mine not my rents' decision

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
education is important and I agree with my parents abt it...but sometimes they go over the top abt it, by no visits to family and not goiing anywhere...gets a bit annoying after a while, and I just ignore 'em:p

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
that is v true for some....lyk i came first in competitons such as ceramic/photography/oil painting/portrait sketiching...art related competitions......but my parents wouldnt let meeh pick art for my hsc course. i guess a website as my ext 2 english major work is the closest thing to it.

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
hmm..I liek art as well, but I wont do good in painting whatever ppl tell me..it comes out in my own time, thats why i didnty choose it in yr9/10

Yami

Damn, you guys wrong us AzNs. We're not all studying freaks that pull the best UAIs. It all depends on the person. It's just that many asians go hard out when it comes to education, something anyone of any race can do.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC

LOL Yami. Something many other races can do... but dont ;)

Most asians I know work their arses off and get pretty good marks. I also hear alot about their parents who push them from kindergarten to be the best. I don't reckon it's sterotyping; sure, not every single asian parent is gonna push their kids to get 100, but alot do, esspecially thoes who have come from China were education is seen as the priority, and where you need to do extremely well to lead a comfortable life. It's just how they were raised. I don't agree with it, but it's not my culture to critizise - I've grown up in Australia, with anglo and aboriginal parents and the need to do well academically isn't as strong in my family.

Maybe I've just gone and made a huge generalisation, but from talking to not only my mates, but my mum's friends who were born in China and have kids around my age, it's the conclusion I draw. Without an education in Australia, you can end up a regional rep for a supermarket chain or something like that - it provides a comfortable living in the suburbs. Or you work in a trade - areas were talent (and common sense) is more important than 4 unit maths. But (once again, from what I've been told) it isn't like that in China - you either have a good education and get a good job. Or your a pesant. Like anyone's parents on this board, they only want the best for their kids, and they're trying to achive it.

But, like I said before, I don't know much about Asian culture in general - i'm a long way back, Australia.

Oh, BTW sarah (I think it was u..LOL) where did the 'next we'll be talking about aborginals' come from? LOL, i just read it and went WTF?

anyways.. thats all..

Last edited:

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by fatmuscle
go watch 'I Not Stupid'
hey fatmuscle i own that ! hahaha. you're talking about the singapore drama series right ... some bits are really really depressing ay :(

Originally posted by Newbie
hmm back on topic

well i didn't necessarily want 100 and didn't want law med 'and all that' .. but i totally agree that it's your life and .. yeah, it's "all intrinsically driven"

although i do think that some parents do push their kids too hard, eg tuition from year 1... pushing them into careers that they are completely not interested in..

hbk_ace

your all F**k Liars
one comment at white rabbbit, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol, i got an email saying if i dont post i get my account deleted, so here i am.

come on asian parents and all, in 20 years thing will all be different since all the asian adults would be aussie cultured, i know im not gonna push my kids,

Last edited:

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
NO NEVER, my parents don't mind what i do they are supportive

and im Asian, but sometimes they make comparisons of me to other high status and smarter people etc.. but that often happen in all families

They are just happy that im not one of those scary asians if you know what i mean

:rolleyes:

Benno

HSC
well my parents are supportive of what ever i do, good old anglo-saxon parents :)

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Heh, poor asian parents are getting a ball busting in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)