Are all Korean guys chauvinist? (1 Viewer)

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
Personally ... the metrosexual look is not so much a problem for me. And I dig a guy who can wear a pink shirt properly. It's just a real turn-off for me when a guy is obsessed with his image. Sure, he needs to be presentable, but he needs to remember that being presentable is not only about one's outer look.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Would you happen to know much about the animosity Koreans have to halvies?

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
I've done a little bit of reading on it. I would summarise it like this:

Modern Koreans typically believe that national culture and pride are more or less a matter of bloodlines, and by bloodlines they mean pure bloodlines. You may be familiar with the national creation myth, which basically asserts that the great Father Tan'gun established the Korean nation some 5,000 years ago, and since then, the country has maintained a pure bloodline (i.e. not "mixed" with other "races"), a pure language, a pure culture &c.. It's a myth, but many Koreans still have a large degree of faith in the idea that there has been a Korean "race" which has been maintained for five millennia.

In actual fact, this myth only became entrenched last century, under Japanese colonial oppression. Both during the Japanese annexation (1910-45) and immediately afterwards, and especially after the Korean War (1950-53), Chosŏn/Korea were poor countries with nothing to boast of. The political system was dysfunctional, there was no food self-sufficiency, and no substantial material achievement with which Koreans could face the world with pride. Instead they suffered continuous threat from superpowers in a dynamic geopolitical region. During the Japanese colonisation, the independence movement leaders consciously sought to create a sense of national unity and pride and they did this by propagating the mythical ideas of national unity and purity as described above.

There is a real sense in which this sense of national, linguistic, cultural and biological purity played a large part in pulling South Korea through to its current economic strength, and in keeping North Korea insular and submissive to a "father" figure. The same colonial experience produced different results in different circumstances, but you can nonetheless trace both the North and South Korean national identities back to this myth of purity. As an aside, this myth of purity is part of the reason why South Korea is having such a hard time with the idea of multiculturalism.

We cannot overemphasise the fact that the purity myths are complete myths; nothing more, nothing less. In the Chosŏn period, before Japanese annexation, the bureaucracy had a process whereby foreigners from Japan and China could be completely absorbed into the population. If a foreigner wanted to live in Chosŏn, they were not immediately accepted, but by abiding by the right regulations, then his grandchildren would be given the opportunity to become complete Koreans. They would have all the opportunities that they would have had if their grandparent had been a Korean, and they would also have all the same responsibilities as a Korean (military service etc.).

And ever since 1945, there have been countless children born to Koreans and U.S. soldiers. Despite all of this, so many Koreans still think one has to look a certain way to be a "true" Korean, i.e. display the typical biological characteristics, speak the language and understand the culture etc. It's because of the purity myths.

Of course, a lot is changing, but most Koreans remain uneducated about the truth of their own history. It's not entirely incomprehensible, because colonisation and the war were such devastating experiences. They provoke violently emotional reactions in people, which hinders their ability to learn the history in full.

Sorry that was long, but maybe it helped.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm very popular with the ajummas here so I suppose it's some consolation.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm a Korean girl, and it seems that almost all the Korean guys I meet are chauvinist to some extent. Especially if they're older than me, they always, ALWAYS do the whole "I'm your Oppa" charade. Which really annoys me because they think that having been born an hour or two before you means they have to be respected, and they never seem to think about how they can merit deep and lasting respect.

Whether they were born in Korea and how long they've lived outside of Korea doesn't really seem to have an effect on this male arrogance. The roots of this arrogance are clearly traceable to Korea's Confucian history, and it seems that it just keeps getting passed on down the generations. I've met more than a few guys who can't even speak Korean, but their mannerisms and their attitudes are so clearly influenced by Korean Confucian culture.

Do I just need to meet more Korean guys? By the way, don't get me wrong: I'm not trying to hate on Korean guys; most of them are lots of fun, and hardly any of them are trying to offend anyone. It's just that my personal experience with them and with the Korean culture both in the Republic of Korea and in the South Korean diaspora has led me to a few conclusions, and I wanted to hear some other opinions. I'm particularly interested in what other Korean girls (especially 1.5, 2nd generation girls) have to say, but of course anyone is welcome to pitch in. Including Korean guys.

And if you think that a Korean guy is not a good match for an Korean girl living in Australia (banana, not fob), then which other cultural backgrounds would you recommend?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
My mother confirmed that within my family, oppa is used in this context as well.

It's a freaking epidemic.

ALwaysSmiling

HSC
There are certain stigmas that are attached to different cultures. Personally as an Asian, A lot of ABC's or ABK's so on so on... sort of hate their own culture? I know people who just bag out their native country. I don't really know what to feel... Some "bananas" as you put it, are so embarrassed and ashamed its like everything "non Asians" do are perfect. Its like Australia has no faults ( of course I love Australia, but come on there are some slip ups here and there like every country). Then you have the 'ASIAN PRIDE FTW' types, and I mean not the joking ones but the Asian superiority type. I can't express how much I want to punch them in the face. Then again, since I work in Miranda I always get these weird stares from the students down there. I mean I know I'm yellow :) GET OVER IT. I mean I can be bias sometimes, when I visit my family in China and they talk about ABCs like theyre idiots, I'm like "I know very well what you're talking about, if I didn't know what you were saying speaking slower ain't going to change how I understand it". As for Koreans, nothing much, very proud of their country, dress well, stop hating on international fans. LOL. K-pop has helped economic growth over there and exposure to the rest of the world ( BELIEVE IT OR NOT) IS GOOD. Btw. whoever said FOBS use twitter. who DOESNT. :)

kidokkyo

HSC
Uni Grad
My female cousins use it with their husbands and my male cousins get called oppa by their wives.
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

yea it is an epidemic. i suppose younger couples are increasingly practicing this. what's wrong with "yeobo"? even "jagi"?!

ㅠㅠㅠㅠ

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
Haven't checked this thread in a while and let me say there's some funny shit on here haha. Pardon my language.

Just wait until you have kids.

It's cause us 1.5 or 2nd generations are faced with identity issues and whatnot relating to having to conform to our parent's culture or the culture of the nation in which we were raised in aka Australia. Too much option in my opinion.

Have a look at Koreans or Asians in general in the States. Most of them there decide to assimilate into White American or Black American culture, most unwilling or rather unaccepting of their ethnicity due to Westerners and other races downplaying Asian culture as inferior and put simply plain 'weird'. But this is 3rd/4th even 5th generation kids we're talking about so it's bound to obvious that by that stage most minorities become fully integrated into American society (a historical example would be African Americans).

I think we should be thankful that here in Australia due to the relative youngness of our migration history most children born of minorities are still able to speak their mother tongues to a respectable level eventhough as time goes by this is impossible to maintain due to the dynamic nature of multiculturalism.

As adults I think we can all think for ourselves. If you don't want to call older Korean males that aren't your siblings oppa then ... don't :rolleyes2: Just don't hang out with them or contact them if they feel burdensome or uncomfortable to be around. It's really mind over matter isn't it?

However I find it ironic that you have a GIF of Shin Hye Sung of Shinwha. (if I'm correct?)

Any bet that he is your Kpop bias and you would gladly I would say willingly call him oppa right? Rather I bet he would demand it if you were his hoobae or a younger singer. As you may know the Korean entertainment industry is ridiculously hierarchical where there's a caste system for entertainers based on age or usually popularity.

Yet here in this case you would not mind right?. Let me guess? He's good looking, sings well, good personality (from what you see) and is pretty much the 엄친아 (Mum's Friend's Son or guy next door - if you don't know your Korean internet memes/abbreviations).

It's not that you despise Korean confucianist culture and idealisms of having to necessarily respect those older than you it's rather you're extremely and probably unconsciously biased when it comes to who you respect and become comfortable with which is a common thing with everyone.

HOWEVER, I feel like with most Korean/Asian women influenced by the Hallyu Wave of late (where appearance equates to popularity) you have a tendency to 'respect and like' men judged on appearance rather than the face value of the male being a Korean person that wishes to follow Korean culture - as they were taught by their Korean parents who done so previously and so on.

So the answer really is just don't chill with these dudes. They sound like tools anyway. LOL.

Also take this objectively as a form of free speech in attempts to understand a issue probably too personal and complex to be discussing on an internet forum.

I wish this makes sense ... Haha haven't been actively involving my brain for a while.

EDIT: My original post where I was saying about how I didn't mind being called oppa as long as the girl was cute was just a joke based on immaturity.

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
Lol I'm Korean and lived in Korea for 10years but I dint really give a damn about being called oops or calling others vying I just speak in English :) easy

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Also a lot of Koreans (From abroad generally like FOBS) are very rude also to people like me who are born here, and I am quite bad at Korean also so I do feel the seclusion sometimes. But yeah, I personally experienced the nasty facet of Korea when I was on holiday earlier this year, I was criticized for my thick Australian accent and I was told by many people to not speak English in Korea because it made me look like arrogant.

Although, every culture and race has ignorant people like this.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

yea it is an epidemic. i suppose younger couples are increasingly practicing this. what's wrong with "yeobo"? even "jagi"?!

ㅠㅠㅠㅠ
자기 is like referring directly to the other partner. It's used as an expression to look 'cute' or you know very intimate haha. Strangely a lot of the teenagers are now using it into language nowadays to their girlfriends or vice versa, you would normally say 자기 if you're married or engaged haha :p.

예뻐 is like literally beautiful and I'm not sure how it's becoming increasingly popular with younger couples, it caters for all Koreans o_O?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Also a lot of Koreans (From abroad generally like FOBS) are very rude also to people like me who are born here, and I am quite bad at Korean also so I do feel the seclusion sometimes. But yeah, I personally experienced the nasty facet of Korea when I was on holiday earlier this year, I was criticized for my thick Australian accent and I was told by many people to not speak English in Korea because it made me look like arrogant.

Although, every culture and race has ignorant people like this.
I was in an Adidas store in Myeongdong and I was talking to one of my high school friends in English. The shopkeeper asked her if I could speak English and then I told him no. He then said that considering I was in Korea, I should be speaking Korean. Fair play though, I accept what he said and he wasn't rude about it.

I suppose it would be tougher for the parents though to justify why their child doesn't speak Korean. Surely people would be thinking why your parents didn't make sure you could speak Korean?

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
자기 is like referring directly to the other partner. It's used as an expression to look 'cute' or you know very intimate haha. Strangely a lot of the teenagers are now using it into language nowadays to their girlfriends or vice versa, you would normally say 자기 if you're married or engaged haha :p.

예뻐 is like literally beautiful and I'm not sure how it's becoming increasingly popular with younger couples, it caters for all Koreans o_O?
I think he/she meant 여보 (a more traditional way of calling someone affectionately likewise with 자기야 it's more prominent with those who are married).

Though whilst I was in Korea I didn't hear those terms used amongst younger couples at all. It's too weird to see those in their teens to mid twenties calling each other by monikers that usually married or engaged couples use.

I heard more nickname calling amongst the teen couples though like 'baby, princess, goddess' and I heard one guy call his girl 'master' - dude went OTL.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I think he/she meant 여보 (a more traditional way of calling someone affectionately likewise with 자기야 it's more prominent with those who are married).

Though whilst I was in Korea I didn't hear those terms used amongst younger couples at all. It's too weird to see those in their teens to mid twenties calling each other by monikers that usually married or engaged couples use.

I heard more nickname calling amongst the teen couples though like 'baby, princess, goddess' and I heard one guy call his girl 'master' - dude went OTL.
Omg hahhaahah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)