Are all Korean guys chauvinist? (1 Viewer)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
so you're telling me Koreans are dumb gold diggers
Not in the traditional sense.

Korean society is much more conservative in the sense that men and women have their distinct roles as a family unit and as such, the appeal for well-to-do partners is evident considering that men are the sole bread-winners once a child comes a long. It's quite a backward ideal but regardless, the significance of finding a man who can look after you is highly valued. Things are changing though, for example Western companies in Korea are taking advantage of this by employing women discarded by the Korean companies so there is a passive trend towards female empowerment but whether contemporary Korean culture moves along with it is anyone's guess.

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
are we living in the same country? Are you serious?
Do you not watch/read the news?

Men have to now be highly cautious especially in the political or business environment when addressing women as seen in previous cases in Australia where female staff have made legal claims against their superiors for commenting on their attire as being 'too revealing' - successful at that as well.

I might have worded that sentence wrongly but in Australia I'm saying there is greater sensitivity towards the acknowledgement of women in an open environment where there may be a case of a report if a man seems to be of a forceful nature when attempting to acquire a woman's phone number in the street in comparison to Korea as such practice is common amongst young people.

If you get my gist.

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
Not in the traditional sense.

Korean society is much more conservative in the sense that men and women have their distinct roles as a family unit and as such, the appeal for well-to-do partners is evident considering that men are the sole bread-winners once a child comes a long. It's quite a backward ideal but regardless, the significance of finding a man who can look after you is highly valued. Things are changing though, for example Western companies in Korea are taking advantage of this by employing women discarded by the Korean companies so there is a passive trend towards female empowerment but whether contemporary Korean culture moves along with it is anyone's guess.
Lol how do you know about Korean culture and social norms so well? It's like you've lived in the country your whole life.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol how do you know about Korean culture and social norms so well? It's like you've lived in the country your whole life.
Reading feature articles and just the general vibe in the presence of Korean families.

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
Reading feature articles and just the general vibe in the presence of Korean families.
It's really a one-of-a-kind experience huh? Haha being Korean has its positives as well as its downsides. It's about finding a balance between two cultures.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
so you're telling me Koreans are dumb gold diggers
Forgot to elaborate that stupid women are not valued over intelligent women. A son would get a hiding from his family if he brought home a girl which was thick. There's still a drive for women to impress in all areas to maximise their chances of picking up a well-to-do man. It's still ****ed though.

It's really a one-of-a-kind experience huh? Haha being Korean has its positives as well as its downsides. It's about finding a balance between two cultures.
Only really started getting back into my Korean side only recently. Haven't really hung out with a group of Koreans over the years because I've found that they tend to revert to speaking in Korean compared to other ethnicities. It kind of dawned on me though after went to Korea, that over 50% of my extended family live in Korea (from Seoul to Gwangju, Gyeonggi-do, to Gunsan and Jeonju). It would be a shame if I neglected that side of my heritage because it's just easier to ignore it.

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
Only really started getting back into my Korean side only recently. Haven't really hung out with a group of Koreans over the years because I've found that they tend to revert to speaking in Korean compared to other ethnicities. It kind of dawned on me though after went to Korea, that over 50% of my extended family live in Korea (from Seoul to Gwangju, Gyeonggi-do, to Gunsan and Jeonju). It would be a shame if I neglected that side of my heritage because it's just easier to ignore it.
Wow you're pretty lucky you got a huge span of relatives across various regions! Mine are all bunched up in Seoul lol not very exciting indeed when visiting the country as pretty much everyone lives within a 30 min radius.

My ancestors were from Jeonju. Real rural and scenic from what I heard. Haven't been outside the Gyenggi-do area. Come to think of it I've only been to Korea twice in my life :frown2:

Haven't really hung out with a group of Koreans over the years because I've found that they tend to revert to speaking in Korean compared to other ethnicities.
Yeah I still find this a problem too eventhough I speak/read/write Korean to a fluent/workable extent. Being a second generation Korean Australian it's difficult to choose who to associate to with the main options being Koreans and other Asian Australians that were born here like myself and all converse in English and are more or less Australians to begin with or to hang out with the 1.5 generation kids (those who came to Australia at a young age and retain most of their connection to the motherland) who generally speak better Korean and know more about the culture than I do. Lately i've been trying to overcome this mental restrain and be open minded to whoever I meet but it is food for thought especially language.

At home since both my parents are fluent in English and Korean I find it natural to use 'Konglish' - Korean and English. With Korean friends it seems to be one or the other LOL.

Have you ever considered learning Korean OzKo?

diklarae

HSC
Hi,I'm here only to ask more questions:)

I actually asked myself the same thing ,I'm only familiar with korean through the dramas and tv shows,which i like to watch ,but really ,I think in my country most woman will kill someone if he treats them that way... I was very curious to know if it is really like that in reality ,from your question, I guess so ... (I've just watched an episode of wgm which in it, the guy keep nagging the female to make him some food, as some sord of a test- and I was just -ahhhhhhhhhh).

I also noticed phisical contact ,such as kisses and hugs is very rare, not to mention intercourse I thought it was only on dramas, and so, but as I watched reality shows, it seems like in real life it's much alike. (for example' a 23 years old woman have only kissed once, which is apparently normal), I would really like to know if this is actually the way things are , or maybe it's just a very conservative tv...

p.s you can always bring some korean guys here ,I bet they would become much less chuvanistics in two years top( and many other things which I'm not sure you would be happy about...)

Last edited:

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,I'm here only to ask more questions:)

I actually asked myself the same thing ,I'm only familiar with korean through the dramas and tv shows,which i like to watch ,but really ,I think in my country most woman will kill someone if he treats them that way... I was very curious to know if it is really like that in reality ,from your question, I guess so ... (I've just watched an episode of wgm which in it, the guy keep nagging the female to make him some food, as some sord of a test- and I was just -ahhhhhhhhhh).

I also noticed phisical contact ,such as kisses and hugs is very rare, not to mention intercourse I thought it was only on dramas, and so, but as I watched reality shows, it seems like in real life it's much alike. (for example' a 23 years old woman have only kissed once, which is apparently normal), I would really like to know if this is actually the way things are , or maybe it's just a very conservative tv...

p.s you can always bring some korean guys here ,I bet they would become much less chuvanistics in two years top( and many other things which I'm not sure you would be happy about...)
What they portray in the Korean Dramas is not how Korean society operates though, I can tell you that 100% it's way different. Not do trust the Korean dramas, they are very exaggerated to the max and not a very good reference to Korea.

I thought physical contact was very common in Korean culture, a 23 year old kissing only once is rare isn't o_O? Must be conservative T.V.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Forgot to elaborate that stupid women are not valued over intelligent women. A son would get a hiding from his family if he brought home a girl which was thick. There's still a drive for women to impress in all areas to maximise their chances of picking up a well-to-do man. It's still ****ed though.

I have experienced this in Australia too (Especially during Senior High School and 1st Sem uni), well my social group of Koreans would always speak Korean rather than English. Tbh, some were very uncomfortable speaking English also and only mix in with the 'Koreans' especially when they join the Korean associations when they hit uni :p, explains why so many of them are still not very good after staying here for a while.

I have trouble also when I visit my relatives in Seoul and Incheon, well partially me be from Australia and having this very distinctive accent (Also my very weak Korean baffles them) :p

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
I think you mean this one ...

I find it amazing and somewhat of a culture shock when in Korea when I see men on the street 'hunting' women and just approaching strangers and asking for their numbers. If that happened in Australia some might report it as sexual harassment. I heard from some friends in Korea that they keep spare 'fake' numbers sometimes so if a real sleezebag comes by or someone they're not interested in they just give the person that number to ward him off LOL.

That list you made is pretty accurate and somewhat scary in that it shows how materialistic and shallow people can be.

I'd also like to put in that Korean girls are a sucker for those who went overseas and studied or lived/was born abroad. The 'I can help you with English practice/studies' card is an absolute winner especially if that person is a student studying in high school or university hahaha ;)

Mentality being that those from abroad had a better education and are more open-minded when it comes to relationships i.e. Western ideals to romance as seen in movies or tv dramas :rolleyes:
But I think Korea is a very prestige and money based society (Especially if you go Gangnam area it comes into real effect), I think this cultural mentality comes after the Korean War when South Korea was one of the most poorest nations and everyone was working hell hard and very competitive. President Park was very good at motivating Koreans :)

Korean girls would go more crazier if they see a male who studied abroad (Canada, States, New Zealand, Australia or U.K), LOL but "I can help you with English Studies" would be risky. I wouldn't trust a Korean student who studied overseas (Probably mixed around with his Korean mates and spent their time at Strathfield/ Pitt Street or George Street for all those years) .

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
But I think Korea is a very prestige and money based society (Especially if you go Gangnam area it comes into real effect), I think this cultural mentality comes after the Korean War when South Korea was one of the most poorest nations and everyone was working hell hard and very competitive. President Park was very good at motivating Koreans :)

Korean girls would go more crazier if they see a male who studied abroad (Canada, States, New Zealand, Australia or U.K), LOL but "I can help you with English Studies" would be risky. I wouldn't trust a Korean student who studied overseas (Probably mixed around with his Korean mates and spent their time at Strathfield/ Pitt Street or George Street for all those years) .
LOL that's so true. I guess I meant more those who were raised overseas than studied?

Though George St is now becoming more popular with Chinese international students due to its proximity to Chinatown.

Also Park Chung Hee was a dictator but at least he was one of the few presidents who knew what the hell he was doing with the country. Gangnam is a great example of Korean materialism. My aunt and uncle reside there and everywhere you go you see people acting as though they live in a high class district from designer brand clothing to European-make cars. Irony being that most of these individuals probably have defaulted loans on their credit cards and have massive debts owing to the bank but continue to live 'Gangnam style' so others don't look down on them.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Do you not watch/read the news?

Men have to now be highly cautious especially in the political or business environment when addressing women as seen in previous cases in Australia where female staff have made legal claims against their superiors for commenting on their attire as being 'too revealing' - successful at that as well.

I might have worded that sentence wrongly but in Australia I'm saying there is greater sensitivity towards the acknowledgement of women in an open environment where there may be a case of a report if a man seems to be of a forceful nature when attempting to acquire a woman's phone number in the street in comparison to Korea as such practice is common amongst young people.

If you get my gist.
These are completely different situations in completely different environments performed by completely different people. Asking for a girl's number out the window of your car is not even in the remotest sense analogous to a professional work environment and would not be considered *sexual* harassment at all, anywhere, ever. If you're being overly persistent, using crude language in an offensive manner or physically blocking her from carrying about her business, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

Can you give me an actual source where female staff have successfully sued their employers/bosses for simply saying that their attire is "too revealing"? I doubt you can.
Forgot to elaborate that stupid women are not valued over intelligent women. A son would get a hiding from his family if he brought home a girl which was thick. There's still a drive for women to impress in all areas to maximise their chances of picking up a well-to-do man. It's still ****ed though
Would you say that Korean culture is becoming Westernised? Would you say it's becoming too Westernised?

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
These are completely different situations in completely different environments performed by completely different people. Asking for a girl's number out the window of your car is not even in the remotest sense analogous to a professional work environment and would not be considered *sexual* harassment at all, anywhere, ever. If you're being overly persistent, using crude language in an offensive manner or physically blocking her from carrying about her business, I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

Can you give me an actual source where female staff have successfully sued their employers/bosses for simply saying that their attire is "too revealing"? I doubt you can.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2147823/Lauren-Odes-fired-LINGERIE-company-having-big-breasts.html

http://article.wn.com/view/2012/05/29/Christian_woman_sues_boss_over_Islamic_dress_code_in_Jordan/

A simple Google search found me these articles. The exact article I'll try to link you later.

I'm sure there are plenty of articles online that are of similar nature where female staff have made claims against employers. What I was saying before (which may have been poorly worded and I accept that) is that in Western nations in particular the US, Australia and UK there is greater sensitivity towards the management and interaction of female staff as women become increasingly empowered within the workforce. As told to me by a relative who used to work in HRM for a large recruitment agency in Sydney he said that within his department they had a person solely assigned to the role of gender relation/equity. Such things do not exist in Korea and Asia to speak as men are still seen the predominant members of the labour force - where issues such as gender discrimination is not widely reported in media unless high profile individuals are involved.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Would you say that Korean culture is becoming Westernised? Would you say it's becoming too Westernised?
Can't say I really know enough about South Korea to comment on this.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I still find this a problem too eventhough I speak/read/write Korean to a fluent/workable extent. Being a second generation Korean Australian it's difficult to choose who to associate to with the main options being Koreans and other Asian Australians that were born here like myself and all converse in English and are more or less Australians to begin with or to hang out with the 1.5 generation kids (those who came to Australia at a young age and retain most of their connection to the motherland) who generally speak better Korean and know more about the culture than I do. Lately i've been trying to overcome this mental restrain and be open minded to whoever I meet but it is food for thought especially language.

At home since both my parents are fluent in English and Korean I find it natural to use 'Konglish' - Korean and English. With Korean friends it seems to be one or the other LOL.

Have you ever considered learning Korean OzKo?
I'm trying to re-learn it now.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL that's so true. I guess I meant more those who were raised overseas than studied?

Though George St is now becoming more popular with Chinese international students due to its proximity to Chinatown.

Also Park Chung Hee was a dictator but at least he was one of the few presidents who knew what the hell he was doing with the country. Gangnam is a great example of Korean materialism. My aunt and uncle reside there and everywhere you go you see people acting as though they live in a high class district from designer brand clothing to European-make cars. Irony being that most of these individuals probably have defaulted loans on their credit cards and have massive debts owing to the bank but continue to live 'Gangnam style' so others don't look down on them.
George Street has only a few Korean Businesses now also I agree, all have migrated to Pitt Street or to less popular. Pitt Street has a sign where it says Korea Town also :) So many damn Korean restaurants on that street haha. Korean teens are always hanging at the Karaoke bars, pc bangs and clubs at midnight around the city haha...

Strathfield and half of Eastwood is still quit dominant with Koreans, but with more families and less younger Korean teens :)... I heard Chattswood is also getting fairly popular since it has all the modern equipment of Korean cities like Seoul such as huge apartment complexes and lots of shops.

Park Chung Hee president was responsible for the roots of economic growth and boom for Korea, he did a fine job with Education and living standards also, only bad thing was he was military dictator and propaganda machine as hell lol. He also threatened all the Chinese people in Korea at that time, but still I think he was one of the greatest. His daughter is also the most popular candidate for president also at the moment for this year's presidential election, she has similar views to her father and praises him a lot as well in media.

Well Gangnam residents are stereo typically known to be 'appealing and cool' on the outside, but yeah they must have huge debts and financial problems. Housing is ridiculous in that area (1 million USD for a 3 bedroom home on average and everyone is showing off with their Porsches, BMW's and Mercedes lool. But that being said, Mercs and BMW's are actually quite affordable in Korea, you can get a 5 Series I think for around $50-60k and an E class for $50-60k also. I heard

If you head to Cheongdam-dong, the Korean materiliasm is truly evident :)

Have a read of this also :) Gangnam is worth more than the whole of Busan lol.

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/09/20/2011092000357.html

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Korea has a good mix of West and old traditional, depends on where you go. Gangnam is truly westernized, and a lot of the more affluent suburbs and areas are probably following that trend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)