Are free periods beneficial? (1 Viewer)

dpospination

HSC
Evilo said:
Agreed

in 06 (when i did my hsc) i only did 8 hsc units in year 12 (already had done 6 units in previous years). Therefore i had 24 study/free periods over a 2 week period. It became a drain and they became counter productive. I'm probably the extreme of study periods so you know what i mean, but its just became really tiresom and i wouldn't do anywork. Set yourself a goal for each study period and stick to it, otherwise you'll get distracted. One study period a day might be good because you can catch up on work, but when 1/3 or your day is study, it just isnt fun at all.
how many, and what subjects did you accelerate to achieve that? thats pretty remarkable!!! :D

shutup434

HSC
lyounamu said:
At my school, there are 4 free (or "study") periods per fortnight for students in year 11 who are undergoing only 12 units over conventional 13 units.
wow you only get four a fortnight?? we get ten!! and for those not doing extensions -they get twelve. but then again senior school now means that there are seven 50minute periods a day. but still, i like the idea of heaps of frees :D:D

D.L.S Boy

HSC
well some pplz are lucky i have NOO study periods, my school made MY study period in to a math ext 1 class( i wish it was in the morning or after noon)

so every firday i have 2 maths periods and each going for 80 mins ( 4 periods a day)

Last edited by a moderator:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
It is absolutely ridiculous to hear that people get 10 or more free or "study" periods! :angry:

How can it be possible? Just think about it. There is no way you can get 10 or more study periods when you do 14 Units! If there is, I guess, my school probably organised our timetable pretty badly.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Everyone starts out with the best intentions for their study periods (free periods). I will do my homework for that day, catch up on any work, start assignments, won't have as many subjects to worry about etc. Which are all fine reasons, the only problem is the vast majority of students will have these reasons but once they get the study periods the treat them like free periods and just waste time.

I had 3 study sessions a week (75mins each) in year 12, only because I completed accelerated IPT in year 11. When I had assignments/assessments to do I did try and get as much done as possible, or homework etc. But looking back a lot of those study sessions were wasted browsing the Internet, random walks and leaving school early.

And as for people getting what seems like more study periods/sessions it really depends on how your school structures your timetable and the length of your periods/sessions as to how many you will get.

So to answer the thread question. In theory yes they are but 9/10 in practice no they are not.

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
lyounamu said:
It is absolutely ridiculous to hear that people get 10 or more free or "study" periods! :angry:

How can it be possible? Just think about it. There is no way you can get 10 or more study periods when you do 14 Units! If there is, I guess, my school probably organised our timetable pretty badly.
At times I begin to think my school is mad, too <___< I get a lot because I'm doing Japanese through OHS, which they allocate a lot of free lessons for, despite each week's work taking about 30 minutes =P

Well, we have 7 periods a day, of 50 minutes each.

MissingInAction

CuRrEnTlY sOmEwHeRe...MoSt LiKely LoSt...OhHh...
HSC
I have many free periods(being a year 12 student) and I tend to use them as a way for calming down and preparing for my next lesson. At certain times of the year I have absolutely NOTHING to do so I use my frees for fun, but everyother time I use them for work. They are great to use to finish off assignments in.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
My free periods were beneficial, ONLY when I was by myself. If I had even one friend with me, my free periods were always wasted.

Sonata

HSC
tommykins said:
I played Tekken 5 on PSP during 80% of my free periods. lol
i did the same thing too lol, was fun vsing other ppl.

free periods are good and bad, i couldnt really get the time to study during my frees since there was alot of talking and stuff so i get distracted

telekenixis

HSC
Its upto you...
If you think your subjects are too much, take the free periods to get extra breaks. Apart from breaks, it may also be used to study or do homework, relieving some pressure at home. But, if you just going to sit down and do nothing, that you should take the 13/14 units. The result of that will be much more chance of a good 10 units for year 12.

HSC
I'm really happy with the way that my frees have worked out. The people who I'm most likely to talk to and be distracted by all have classes then. I have two free periods on a thursday, which is so beneficial because I work thursday nights. Yesterday, for example, I got every single piece of homework done, and even found time to do extra study for Bio. So, in my opinion, frees are really helpful. But I'm sure that other people have a different viewpoint to me, so I guess that it really depends on if you're going to work or waste the time.

HSC
I'm doing 12 units so i get 8 frees a fortnight

It's been really good so far...not getting distracted 'cause there's only about 4 people in my grade who have frees at the same time as me

I've managed to get most of my homework done in my frees, and a bit of reading :)

bored of sc

HSC
YES!!!! Have 6 free periods per timetable cycle and it's really good. The library is silent and you can just work on any homework, reading and study. They work for me! :)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I'm thinking that several months from now, free periods will be more like cram sessions.

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
At the beginning, I did nothing during my frees. About twenty people had the same frees as me and we always just hung out together and did nothing.

However, as the HSC approached, we all started to drift off to actually do some work during the time. You'll find that you'll start using your frees "properly" when you have an assignment due next period and you're really pressed for time. I always used my frees to finish my phyiscs pract write ups (they were a bitch).

I learnt to not feel guilty about "wasting" my frees because they gave me a chance to unwind and relax. Our periods were really short as well, so I suppose not doing anything for 40 minutes is better than not during anything for 70 or more.

Don't spend too much time thinking about the free period issue. You'll do most of your work at home anyway.

Zrap

glock9
HSC
I bring my USB along to school so i can type up summaries.

locked.on

HSC
At the moment I have no free periods at all and it has helped me manage my time better at home. I have learnt to prioritise my work at home and my time management skills have improved.

I guess this is one upside of having no free periods.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)