Are free periods beneficial? (1 Viewer)

gazzalite751

HSC
Aplus said:
I'm thinking that several months from now, free periods will be more like cram sessions.
I have inkling that I agree with that =).

I don't get free periods so I don't know, but we had this study skills person come in and lecture us >.<".

If you use your free periods wisely, like study and do your homework and stuff, then it would be benefitial.
But then again, I tend to find free periods you would spend with other people which end up a complete waste of time. So...to me they're pretty much useless =].

bubbly89

HSC
I found my subjects fairly challenging and I always had a load of co-curriculars as well as things to do at home. So I found my free periods were a great time to catch up on all the small things I had left over to do- ie chasing up teachers for things, or finishing that last bit of homework, or hiring out books/returning. That sort of thing.

Of course there are periods where you just sit in the common room drinking coffee, but unless you aren't actually doing homework, I don't think this is a bad thing. It was nice to have some time just to chill out in, or even do homework at a slow pace.

frostyy

HSC
we only get one free period per fornight and man i wish i had more.. i get so much done in that one period than i would at home

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I have about 7 free periods in a 2 week cycle.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
Yes. They're great for catching up on work, and they're great for taking a break when you're about to have a brain explosion.

Just as long as you actually use some of them for working, cause sitting around playing cards is fun but it doesn't get you anywhere in terms of school work.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
My amount of free periods have withered down to just one at the moment. And I hate having after school classes :mad1:

locked.on

HSC
Afternoon classes > morning classes.

Less chance of getting to class late and you're wide awake. :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
No way. I prefer morning classes. :p - I'm a morning person, so I'm wide awake - and your mind is a little fresher in the morning than it is in the arvo. :p

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Lawl, I have no morning or afternoon classes or anything like that.

Evilo

HSC
dpospination said:
how many, and what subjects did you accelerate to achieve that? thats pretty remarkable!!! :D
sorry i stopped watching this thread, but i'm back

In year 10 i did
* SDD

In year 11 i did
* EES
* D&T

In year 12 i did
* 3u English
* 3u Math
* Geography

It was good at the time (like i was happy to do them, and it was a good opportunity they offered me), but at the end of the experience, it wasnt worth it. I pretty much got burnt out before year 12. I wouldn't do it again. (well id accellerate 1 subject, max 2)
If you've got any questions, send me a pm or post here.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
Lawl, I have no morning or afternoon classes or anything like that.
Well, our class had a choice between Thursday afternoon classes (which means going home at 2.15pm), or Tuesday morning classes (begin at 8am, finish at 8.45). If we chose Tuesday morning classes, we could go home at 12.30 on Thursdays.

Our Maths class decided to go with the Tuesday morning classes - but either way, I still stay back at school - talk to people and what not. :)

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
i have some 14 free periods. i use them to read/sleep/chat or go down to strathfield and get food ^_^

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I usually put my study periods for maths because there are a lot of people and they do produce massive amount of "noise pollution". That's why I do Mathematics since I have no trouble concentrating in Maths despite noise.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Rhanoct said:
i have some 14 free periods. i use them to read/sleep/chat or go down to strathfield and get food ^_^
Wow, you're allowed to leave the school premises during free periods? We're only allowed to leave if our free periods are at the end of the day.

deliberately

HSC
eh i get 4 one hour free periods a week (8 over the fortnight) and it totally depends on whether or not i've got a free with loads of people or if i've locked myself in a study room on my own - the latter is generally more productive but sometimes it's good to just bum around and talk or catch up on sleep during frees hahaha :cool:

milk-&-honey

HSC
I have I think about 6 frees a week, but that's at the expense of classes before and after school, which is ok I guess. But morning classes are the worst I tell you, it's so hard to concentrate :angry:

$ouljarette

HSC
actually i find them really beneficial cos i can catch up on work i'm behind on

michael1990

HSC
lyounamu said:
At my school, there are 4 free (or "study") periods per fortnight for students in year 11 who are undergoing only 12 units over conventional 13 units.

Some people at my school would like to take advantage of that, you see. That's why many people chose to do 12 units.

I was just wondering if those free periods are beneficial in some ways that you would be better off doing 12 units because I actually wanted to do 14 units with either Economics or Physics. But I was recommended not to do so. That's why I ended up with 12 units.

Any comment will be appreciated. ;)
study periods are only benificial when used properly.

I only just started to use my 'Study Periods' more effienciently. Make sure you plan out your study periods otherwise you will end up saying oh today i will do, but you may finish that and then be too lazy to do something 'because you feel you have already accomplished something'

thats my advice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)