are laser pointers legal in nsw (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
so i read somewhere that laser pointers are under the 'weapons' category in nsw and the purchase of them online is prohibited and can lead to jail, i wanted to buy one for some photography :p, any advice

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
It's an offence for anyone to have a laser pointer or use it without a reasonable excuse. This refers to only public places though. So, why do you want/need the laser for?

astroman

HSC
It's an offence for anyone to have a laser pointer or use it without a reasonable excuse. This refers to only public places though. So, why do you want/need the laser for?
light painting...

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
Depends on the power and intended usage.

To some extent, teachers and astronomers are exempt. They have perfectly innocent and legitimate uses for them.

But if you intend to shine a 10W green laser at a plane, expect to end up in jail.

enoilgam

HSC
They have to be less than 1MW in power - I have a green one and it's perfectly legal if your use is acceptable.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
They have to be less than 1MW in power - I have a green one and it's perfectly legal if your use is acceptable.
There is a huge difference between a 1MW laser and a 1mW laser.

The former is a megawatt, the latter a milliwatt. The difference is 1 trillion fold.

The bella laser is the most powerful in the world with 1PW power (1 billion MW).

But there is no limit at all imposed for any member of an approved astronomical organisation: http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data...ronomical_Societies_Internet_October_2011.pdf

For everyone else, the legal limit is 1mW except for people with legitimate uses, e.g., astronomers, teachers, builders and anyone else where it is required as part of their employment: http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/firearms/laser_pointers

Last edited:

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Depends on the power and intended usage.

To some extent, teachers and astronomers are exempt. They have perfectly innocent and legitimate uses for them.

But if you intend to shine a 10W green laser at a plane, expect to end up in jail.
I think the maximum was 10 years behind bars for shining a laser at an aircraft.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Yeah, you'd get your heart pumping if I decide to shine the laser to the pilot whilst you're a passenger.
I don't even have a laser and I've never shone anything at an aircraft before.

enoilgam

HSC
There is a huge difference between a 1MW laser and a 1mW laser.

The former is a megawatt, the latter a milliwatt. The difference is 1 trillion fold.

The bella laser is the most powerful in the world with 1PW power (1 billion MW).

But there is no limit at all imposed for any member of an approved astronomical organisation: http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data...ronomical_Societies_Internet_October_2011.pdf

For everyone else, the legal limit is 1mW except for people with legitimate uses, e.g., astronomers, teachers, builders and anyone else where it is required as part of their employment: http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/firearms/laser_pointers
I meant 1mW (stupid mistake from me).

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I have a very weak laser at the moment :eek:.

Need to buy some better ones...

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Meh if you are desperate for one you can tax one from a lecturer.

I'd never do it though, and I'd rather buy a legal one and just use it if necessary (I wouldn't need one any way when I have high beams on a car lol).

I did find once what seemed to be a laser pointer in a bush area, but instead it was just a thing that would illuminate a red "angry bird" lol.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I have a very weak laser at the moment :eek:.

Need to buy some better ones...
Smuggle one from china, those green and blue lasers go really far

(Yes , you can get blue lasers from china)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)