Are my subjects for yr 11 crap? :( (1 Viewer)

R

Rorzza

I'm doing:
Legal Studies
Visual Arts
Modern History
Biology
General Maths
1U religion (we're made to, but we can drop it later)

AND I want to do extension english but school will probably only let me do advanced at best.

-> Are my subjects poor, please be honest.
-> Will not doing extension eng greatly disadvantage me
-> Does my ATAR stand a chance of being over 90?

PLEASE, this counts for my life! so be honest. thanks.

kyokaku92

HSC
Mate, there is no such thing as a crap subject (unless you're teacher is shit or you find it boring). Don't listen to scaling-tards who feed you rubbish about doing ext maths and science will get you 90+ ATAR, as long as you put in the work and achieve results, you will succeed with any combination of subjects. Besides, you have a very good combination of subjects :pirate:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
The subjects you have chosen give poor scaling in general - especially General Maths. Also, if your school will refuse to give you extension - you have to ask why your school will not give you it, and if it is not a valid reason - you should contact the Board of Studies.

You're going to be very hard pressed to get 90, with subjects like General Maths, Visual Arts and Religion.

You can get 90 ATAR with every subject, but you have to be extremely good at it - and on average, most people who do subjects that don't scale well aren't the students who will get 90 in general anyway.

gracee09

HSC
Mate, there is no such thing as a crap subject :pirate:
i agree with that. everyone likes different subjects and everyone has different opiniona about subjects. i think just choose what you like and what you are comfortable with. :D

hdnlv

HSC
no subjects are crap if you do really well at them, but yes i think you dont have many good scalling subjects there; youll have to work hard! :)

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
Do 2u mathematics instead of general (it seems hard at the begining, but its gets easy). Also maybe do something instead of Visual arts.

Nyxie

HSC
Your subjects sound great, if you ENJOY them then you will do well in them. There is no point in choosing high scaling subjects if you don't enjoy them simply because you won't be motivated to actually study and learn the content.

The person coming first in my year does no math or science, nor does she do subjects that scale particularly well, but she excels at the subjects she enjoys and they are the ones she has chosen.

If you enjoy your subjects, then they are the right ones for you, and YES you can get over 90 if you do study well and consistently in them. :skip:

martinc

HSC
No way are your subjects bad. You can get 99.95 ATAR with pretty much any combination of subjects as long as you get good ranks and marks.. scaling doesn't make that much of a difference in the mind either way.

HSC
Do 2u mathematics instead of general (it seems hard at the begining, but its gets easy). Also maybe do something instead of Visual arts.
+1

not based on the scaling. but because you have to go through relearning yr 7-10 maths again.

bob fossil

HSC
+1

not based on the scaling. but because you have to go through relearning yr 7-10 maths again.

+1 do you really wanna do year 9 all over again?
Have a dig at 2 unit maths its really not that hard if you put your head down.

Don't worry about scalling it will only have significance if you don't excell in your subjects, capping is what you have to worry about.

Work hard and you will be there

trauts-cricket

HSC
The subjects you have chosen give poor scaling in general - especially General Maths. Also, if your school will refuse to give you extension - you have to ask why your school will not give you it, and if it is not a valid reason - you should contact the Board of Studies.

You're going to be very hard pressed to get 90, with subjects like General Maths, Visual Arts and Religion.
Mate your subjects are fine. If you enjoy them and want to learn them you can go well with any combination of subjects.

Shadowdude, General Maths scales fine mate, as long as you go well in it there is no need to worry about the 'scaling' effect. Also if the school does not want you to do Extension English, it might be because they do not feel that you are capable of the work that is required for the subject, you also said they might let you only do 'advanced at best' to me this sounds like you are not the strongest English student and Extension just doesn't seem the right option for you. Telling him to complain to the Board of Studies is a stupid piece of advice, for one main reason. The school is going to try to get you the best UAI/ATAR and they feel, as I have already said, that it might not help you to Extension English.
Finally, you are off your head to think it is impossible to get an ATAR over 90 with subjects like VA, General Maths and Religion. My case in point is a friend of mine achieved a UAI of 98.95 doing those three subjects.

R

Rorzza

Mate your subjects are fine. If you enjoy them and want to learn them you can go well with any combination of subjects.

Shadowdude, General Maths scales fine mate, as long as you go well in it there is no need to worry about the 'scaling' effect. Also if the school does not want you to do Extension English, it might be because they do not feel that you are capable of the work that is required for the subject, you also said they might let you only do 'advanced at best' to me this sounds like you are not the strongest English student and Extension just doesn't seem the right option for you. Telling him to complain to the Board of Studies is a stupid piece of advice, for one main reason. The school is going to try to get you the best UAI/ATAR and they feel, as I have already said, that it might not help you to Extension English.
Finally, you are off your head to think it is impossible to get an ATAR over 90 with subjects like VA, General Maths and Religion. My case in point is a friend of mine achieved a UAI of 98.95 doing those three subjects.
Hey thanks for this man, and thanks everyone so far, these comments have helped more than you could think.. i now realise that i can achieve well with the subjects i chose - but im gunna have to put a crapload of work in and do the best i can.

The reason for this thread was right when i became comfortable with the subjects i chose, i told someone and they pretty much just laughed..but if you're right, and i have no doubt you are, i can't understand why more people don't do these kinds of subjects than extremely harder ones?..is it because of scaling?

Thanks again everyone :)

R

Rorzza

+1 do you really wanna do year 9 all over again?
Have a dig at 2 unit maths its really not that hard if you put your head down.

Don't worry about scalling it will only have significance if you don't excell in your subjects, capping is what you have to worry about.

Work hard and you will be there
Hey, i'm really intent on doing general for the simple fact that i have consciously realised i have no motivation for maths whatsoever... as opposed to subjects such as history and legal.. btw could you please let me know what capping is XD

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Legal Studies - not good
Visual Arts - not good
Modern History - decent
Biology - decent
General Maths - not good
1U religion - not good

so study harder

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Hey, i'm really intent on doing general for the simple fact that i have consciously realised i have no motivation for maths whatsoever... as opposed to subjects such as history and legal.. btw could you please let me know what capping is XD
CAPPING means that it is virtually impossible for you to get 100% in General Maths. If you get 100%, this is capped at 91. so essentially, someone really good at Maths who gets 100% will get 91%. It's scales incredibly BAD
and hence why it is better to do 2 unit maths

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
CAPPING means that it is virtually impossible for you to get 100% in General Maths. If you get 100%, this is capped at 91. so essentially, someone really good at Maths who gets 100% will get 91%. It's scales incredibly BAD
and hence why it is better to do 2 unit maths
It's not always better to do 2unit maths. General may suit someones ability or desired workload far more than 2unit. Not everyone is capable of mathematics and if this is the case it is better for them to achieve 80+ in general than <60 in 2u.

bob fossil

HSC
Good decision, if you don't like maths but still wanna do it then G unit ( general maths) is for you.

I don't know much on capping. I'm pretty sure it restricts you from getting 100.
Like PdHPe is capped at like 98.5 or something so that is the highest score you can get.

Don't hold me to that definition lol ask a regular

chowm

HSC
Mate, there is no such thing as a crap subject (unless you're teacher is shit or you find it boring). Don't listen to scaling-tards who feed you rubbish about doing ext maths and science will get you 90+ ATAR, as long as you put in the work and achieve results, you will succeed with any combination of subjects. Besides, you have a very good combination of subjects :pirate:
well said, good luck Rorzza

R

Rorzza

It's not always better to do 2unit maths. General may suit someones ability or desired workload far more than 2unit. Not everyone is capable of mathematics and if this is the case it is better for them to achieve 80+ in general than <60 in 2u.
My thoughts exactly.. i figure it's better to do well in general than mediocre in 2U
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)