Are the naplan results a reliable indicator of hsc results (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I think it's too early to predict your HSC results from Year 9. Also if you did weak in your NAPLAN that isn't an indicator that you will do bad in your HSC, but it's an indicator that you need to improve your performance in order to prepare yourself for later on.

Lazorz

HSC
N/A
prelim results isn't even an indicator to how well you would do in the HSC let alone some random year 9 test.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Seeing how most students don't really prepare at all for Year 9 NAPLAN, as opposed to HSC where nearly all Year 12 students are likely to prepare well (because the stakes are much much higher), it's definitely not a reliable indicator in my view. One is more likely to do HSC past papers in Year 12 than NAPLAN past papers in Year 9.

Furthermore, NAPLAN only tests English (including writing) and Mathematics while HSC students are often taking on 4-6 subjects. There's a good amount of HSC students in the past who have attained strong ATARs without taking mathematics in Year 12 (yet it's compulsory in NAPLAN).

NAPLAN English is also different to HSC English. NAPLAN English has MC questions while HSC English doesn't. NAPLAN writing sections are often done on the spot while in Year 12, most students prepare material in advance for their HSC English essays.

There might be a correlation between NAPLAN results and Year 12 results, according to research, but I don't believe that it's a reliable predictor.

I remember getting like 83 for School Certificate (when it existed) English in Year 10 yet 91 in HSC English in Year 12.

SC English was very much similar to NAPLAN English (that being said, I remember getting mainly Band 10s for Year 9 NAPLAN English sections - except for reading which I got a band 9 lol).

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
There might be a correlation between NAPLAN results and Year 12 results, according to research, but I don't believe that it's a reliable predictor.
I think this is the key point. Obviously, people who do well in the HSC would probably have done well at NAPLAN. But I dont think it's much of a predictor at all - things can change a lot from Year 9 to the HSC.

Harbinger

HSC
Tank ya ma kpoppin sista/brada dat was some reel gud poins

90f53130cd616cfb.jpg

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I got all Band 6s...in the triangle thing WITHOUT studying one bit, I went in and 420 blazed it - I don't think NAPLAN and HSC are on the same level, ever?

An unreliable indicator. Unless you did terribly, not because you were lazy, but because that was your actual level, and continued through school WITHOUT the motivation to ever improve.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
NO WAY oh my god
Pretty sure I got band 2 in the reading section :lol:

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Hsc is more content based whereas naplan is just basic skills

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Tank ya ma kpoppin sista/brada dat was some reel gud poins

View attachment 32026
:haha:

I got all Band 6s...in the triangle thing WITHOUT studying one bit, I went in and 420 blazed it - I don't think NAPLAN and HSC are on the same level, ever?

An unreliable indicator. Unless you did terribly, not because you were lazy, but because that was your actual level, and continued through school WITHOUT the motivation to ever improve.
I know Year 9 NAPLAN is irrelevant - but that's quite the feat. :p

To get the 'triangle' in every single section.

NO WAY oh my god
Pretty sure I got band 2 in the reading section :lol:
#ReadingSectionWoes

Kaido

be.
HSC
Yup Naplan accurately predicted my Band 2 english skills

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)