Are the Top 10 schools pretty much guaranteed at least an 80 atar? (1 Viewer)

P

pearparsage

My friend told me that pretty much everyone in a top 10 school will get 80+ provided they put at least a little bit of effort in.

Is that true??

enoilgam

HSC
My friend told me that pretty much everyone in a top 10 school will get 80+ provided they put at least a little bit of effort in.

Is that true??
Its not true in the strictest sense - if you dont put in the effort and do nothing all year then it is possible for such a student to get less than 80. It doesnt happen very often because students who go to top 10 schools often have some natural ability and an interest in their education. But it is possible for them to get less than 80 - because an ATAR can never be guaranteed.

So to sum up, it's possible, but not very common.

P

pearparsage

Is it coz of scaling, or are they all smart/hardworking?

enoilgam

HSC
Well, the bottom end of the cohort can be pulled up quite a bit by their peers. However, like I said in my earlier post most people who go to a selective school have some natural ability and have an interest in their education - unlike many others schools where only certain students actually care about doing well.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Well, the bottom end of the cohort can be pulled up quite a bit by their peers. However, like I said in my earlier post most people who go to a selective school have some natural ability and have an interest in their education - unlike many others schools where only certain students actually care about doing well.
I'm not too sure about this. If they completely failed their internals, i would think no amount of moderation would save them.

P

pearparsage

So like if someone was coming last in a 5th ranked school might do better than someone coming top 20 in a school ranked 120ish?

enoilgam

HSC
I'm not too sure about this. If they completely failed their internals, i would think no amount of moderation would save them.
True - but it can help to an extent. But if the bottom are outliers then they are in deep trouble.

P

pearparsage

True - but it can help to an extent. But if the bottom are outliers then they are in deep trouble.
Like how? Can no amount of scaling save the outliers?

How important is a strong cohort? coz i don't reckon my cohort is that good S:

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
So like if someone was coming last in a 5th ranked school might do better than someone coming top 20 in a school ranked 120ish?
There's no point in drawing hypotheticals here as the amount of cases are too damn high

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
My school came in the top 10 last year (according to % of band 6s) and we still got 12% of the cohort below an 80 ATAR.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
So does that mean, in lower ranking schools, e.g. 400, you'll get pulled down?

fionarykim

HSC
well if u think about it logically
when we did the selective school exams, only the top marks can get into the top schools, so already kids who are chosen to attend selective schools are generally more brighter
so if we are talking top 10 schools, they are basically the smartest people amongst those who did the exams

so most likely, the students there are equal of the top students in each public school
(that is just general not exactly always true)

this is the reason why almost all of them get above 80
i mean its not very likely someone really smart would not take nterest in school at all, especially if they are surrounded by other top students, more or less they would try :p

fionarykim

HSC
So does that mean, in lower ranking schools, e.g. 400, you'll get pulled down?
i think it also depends on your cohort in each subject, also your rank
if you coming first lets say, but quite a lot, u wont get pulled down, but if ur in the middle of a not so bright cohort u may

someone correct me if im wrong :p

hayabusaboston

HSC
if you coming first lets say, but quite a lot, u wont get pulled down, but if ur in the middle of a not so bright cohort u may

Está usted en una escuela de buena calidad selectivo mi amiga?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

It really depends how the schools scores are distributed. Overall, all students scores will be approximately normal as in the blue line, now a consistently top 10 school might have a distribution like the red line (and a poor performing one line the green line) or it might be more like the yellow line, or any other possible function you can imagine. You can't definitively say what will or won't happen though, at best you can look at the past distribution and assume if all things remain equal this year as they did to this year what would happen

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

As long as you're first, you will never be pulled down. The gap between first and second won't affect if first will be dragged down or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)