Are the Top 10 schools pretty much guaranteed at least an 80 atar? (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
There's no point in drawing hypotheticals here as the amount of cases are too damn high
Agreed - these hypotheticals are impossible to answer because there are just too many variables in play.

The only thing that is important, and that will EVER be important, is that you do well as an individual.
Cant emphasise this enough - so true.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Obviously if you go to james ruse, your minimum atar would be ~95 because the cohort is so crazily strong (average is 99.3+). My friend goes there and last year there was only 3-4 student who got below a 95 (and that's if you came last in everything). But then again, they only have high-scaling subjects.
That's not true from what I've heard. There are years with students that get ~90 or occasionally even lower than it.

P

pearparsage

My classmate's brother used to go to Ruse and him & his friend didn't score enough for uni so they went to TAFE. But they're most likely outliers/dropkicks.

enoilgam

HSC
Obviously if you go to james ruse, your minimum atar would be ~95 because the cohort is so crazily strong (average is 99.3+). My friend goes there and last year there was only 3-4 student who got below a 95 (and that's if you came last in everything). But then again, they only have high-scaling subjects.
It doesnt quite work that way - there isnt a minimum ATAR. It is possible for a Ruse student to score below 30 (it probably doesnt occur, but it is still possible for it to occur).

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It is uncommon for a student at a top 10 school to receive below 80 but it does happen. I even heard a kid at Ruse once got in the 70s.

That said they'd have to pretty low ranked in everything and not do well externally. It's arguably easier to get a higher ATAR at a top school because of the score distribution, unless you are a total bottom outlier.

But point of the story is, the HSC is attempted to be designed to be fair, if you do well individually, they will never take that away from you/you will be rewarded.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
As long as you're first, you will never be pulled down. The gap between first and second won't affect if first will be dragged down or not.
o_O
My understanding is different. Correct me where i'm wrong, but the gap should matter. How else would they determine the difference in the internal marks for 1st and 2nd?

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Yes, obviously the theoretical minimum ATAR is 0, but 97% of the students there get above 95, with only 3-6 students every year getting below that.

(I don't even know why I'm defending those geeks anyways, but I wish I had transferred from baulko when I was in year 10.)
This whole debate is theoretical.

deswa1

HSC
o_O
My understanding is different. Correct me where i'm wrong, but the gap should matter. How else would they determine the difference in the internal marks for 1st and 2nd?
The gap matters for the guy coming second but not for the guy coming first. Like regardless of whether you top by 1% or 50%, you still get the top external mark as your assessment

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
o_O
The gap will affect only 2nd, not 1st.

Deliriously

HSC
Definitely not, my parent's were talking about their family friend's son and how he got 79.5 ATAR in Sydney Boys.

Last edited:

Bobbo1

HSC
What needs to be said has already been but just to re-iterate no one is guaranteed/excluded an ATAR. This means someone from a 500 ranked school get an ATAR of 99.95 and a person from a top 10 school can certainly get a very low ATAR. But from averages this 'likelihood' is very much dependent on previous year school ranks...

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Someone in my grade got in the 40s.

Never handed anything in, haha.
*faints* 40's!!! One of siblings did nothing the entirety of HS and still almost scrapped a 60. Can't believe someone that was let into a top 5 selective got in the 40's! He must have been naturally intelligent to get in the first place. What a throwing away of an opportunity, that not everyone has the opportunity to even live close enough to go to a selective.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Arent some schools part non selective like section and hurlstone ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)