Are we allowed to attempt a question twice? Can we give more examples than asked for? (1 Viewer)

Pyramid

HSC
1) In a Math exam, are we allowed to attempt a question twice in our answer booklets? Without crossing out one.

In my yearly I went back and re-did a question -- and got a different answer. I wrote this 2nd attempt a few pages back from my 1st attempt, as I didn't have any space below the first. I didn't cross out my 1st attempt.

What does a marker do when they find the 2nd? Do they strike it out? What if this 2nd attempt is correct, while the 1st is not?

-----

2)
When an exam asks you to give TWO examples of, say, uses of ammonia, can you give THREE?

Often with these types of questions I can recall one, but am not so sure about a few others. I go with my gut and write a 2nd one.

But are we allowed to write a 3rd? What if 2 of 3 examples are correct? If you write 3 and all are correct, will they just mark you down to 1 for bending the rules?

-----

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
Re: Are we allowed to attempt a question twice? Can we give more examples than asked

In Regards to 2), If in a science exam and one of the answers isn't fully correct, they will not give you full marks even if the other 2 are correct.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Re: Are we allowed to attempt a question twice? Can we give more examples than asked

In Regards to 2), If in a science exam and one of the answers isn't fully correct, they will not give you full marks even if the other 2 are correct.
May I ask what is your basis for this statement?

I ask because in Modern History that isn't the case at the HSC (although I am likely to apply it at school to encourage students to get it right).

To the OP - again I can only answer from my experience with Modern History marking. We would mark the second answer and then give the answer with the higher marks the marks.

As for giving more examples - again it has been my experience at Modern that we will accept more examples until we can give maximum marks for the question. That may not be the case for all parts of the paper but has been the case for the sections that I have marked.

It might differ from one subject to another so maybe you need to refer this question to the BOS itself and get a definitive answer from there.

Last edited:

random-1006

Banned
HSC

1) In a Math exam, are we allowed to attempt a question twice in our answer booklets? Without crossing out one.

In my yearly I went back and re-did a question -- and got a different answer. I wrote this 2nd attempt a few pages back from my 1st attempt, as I didn't have any space below the first. I didn't cross out my 1st attempt.

What does a marker do when they find the 2nd? Do they strike it out? What if this 2nd attempt is correct, while the 1st is not?

-----

2) When an exam asks you to give TWO examples of, say, uses of ammonia, can you give THREE?

Often with these types of questions I can recall one, but am not so sure about a few others. I go with my gut and write a 2nd one.

But are we allowed to write a 3rd? What if 2 of 3 examples are correct? If you write 3 and all are correct, will they just mark you down to 1 for bending the rules?

-----
For number 1, they will most likely take your first answer, however, if your answers are vastly different and you did get the second time right you make be lucky ( may get full marks, or only 1 mark deducted). Always with questions, dont cross out your answer until you have made another attempt, but when you have made another attempt remember to put a nice clean cross through you previous working, ( dont scribble, you could still get something if your first attempt was right and you did it again) . Its also good if you put a nice box around your final answer, makes it so much easier for the marker to see your answer and give marks, remember in all your subjects you want to keep your marker as happy as possible, otherwise they might miss out stuff that could be worth marks.

For number 2:

put enough to answer the question , write down the ones you are confident at first, if you have put enough STOP, if you need more put the ones you are least confident with.

Last edited:

muzeikchun852

HSC

according to my maths teacher in hsc, although u cross out ur answer, the marker will still look at the crossed answer to place any necessary marks. if u cross out the answer that suppose to be correct, they will still give u any necessary mark for that question. but on the question whether they could see the second attempt on the another pages, that will depend on the school policy - whether one teacher marks the whole thing or different teacher marks different parts of the exam. as for hsc, i think one hsc marker marks the whole paper (but im not 100% sure).

random-1006

Banned
HSC

according to my maths teacher in hsc, although u cross out ur answer, the marker will still look at the crossed answer to place any necessary marks. if u cross out the answer that suppose to be correct, they will still give u any necessary mark for that question. but on the question whether they could see the second attempt on the another pages, that will depend on the school policy - whether one teacher marks the whole thing or different teacher marks different parts of the exam. as for hsc, i think one hsc marker marks the whole paper (but im not 100% sure).

thats not correct. Im pretty sure all the different questions are sent to a different marking centre. e.g for 2 unit maths, one group of markers does Q1, one does Q2.... up to Q10.

if you got it correct the second time, and it looks like you knew what you were doing you might lose 1 mark ( as a sort of "DONT DO THIS IN HSC") , probably not even lose any marks.

Last edited:

twistedrebel

HSC

1) no clear cut answer for it, depends on marker. Do it 3 times, then pick,
2) in Science, you cannot have a double go and will get 0, even if 2 are right. Its from experienced HSC markers

twistedrebel

HSC

1) no clear cut answer for it, depends on marker. Do it 3 times, then pick,
2) in Science, you cannot have a double go and will get 0, even if 2 are right. Its from experienced HSC markers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)