Are you guys finding Eng Ext Fun??? share your thoughts (1 Viewer)

fiona.p

HSC
At first i absolutely hated ext eng because of the work overload but now i've got over that and i'm starting to enjoy it. Its definitely better then advanced...wayy better. And i like all those class discussions and so far we havent done a single thing on shakespeare :)

Arsenic

Rogue Assassin
HSC
Charity F said:
We're not going near Shakespeare in Extension - but we're doing Othello in advanced. It's interesitng to realise that other schools do completely different things... weird. Because all our extension classes do different things, like, different analysis's and therefore different texts, but we adhere to the basic rubric.

I just assumed that was what everyone else was doing...
In prelim, there aren't any prescribed texts for Extension; they can choose whatever they like. Not sure if it's for advanced too.

Hope that helps.

LordPc

HSC
This is very dissapointing, its almost like im at a party but my teacher has locked me in the bathroom.

some other questions:
-are your classes focusing alot on social and cultural values of texts?

-do you have the same teacher for Ext and Advanced?

for me, 1) yes, 2) no

LordPc

HSC
cfair said:
You go to parties which your teachers attend?
Haha, no, its a hypothetical situation, well not really, there is a word, its a literary technique. simply, its like the party is the fun ext class that where all you guys are having fun. and my teacher is blocking me from this fun by locking me in the bathroom, ie, giving the class work on shakespeare and such

So, we are doing shakespeare next year? my teach was telling our class its all crime fiction.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
shakespeare is advanced isn't it? I'm pretty sure we don't touch that shit in extension.

Iq

HSC
I dont know how u guys could enjoy eng ext. We do nuthin except watch videos and bloody shakespeare every lesson.

I thought it wuld be interesting, but its the worst lesson i have.

Counting down to end of term when i can finally be rid of it...YEAH!!!

Last edited:

avagina

HSC
I don't find it that much fun to be honest. But thats because i'm not interested in the content at alll.
I never got into the crucible or jane austen much.
It never clicked with me but i know that i have the capacity to be an extension student.
I think i'm obligated to keep extension eeengrish though because of the whole unit system -_-;

HSC
Charity F said:
That's the whole point, lol.

Like having the icing on the inside of the cake, not the outside. (hypothetically)

Also: 763259826 etcetc: You've got 13 units already, and you say you do ext eng as well? woah! unless you do something accelarated, that's impressive.
haha lol no i'm just a douche. Couldn't decide what i wanted to do so i went with the lot. ---- Gonna drop something(s) for next year of course but im not sure what.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
God no!
My teacher is useless and we only study things that were written over 100 years ago or about something that happened that long ago.
Actually, i shouldn't say study. She doens't actually teach us anything but just sets us tonnes of homework.

The only time i actually enjoyed it was in my yearly exam (3 days ago) writing a story. Mines complete bullshit but I dont care coz i'm dropping the subject and i had a ball writing it.

Out of the 19 people who started in the class at the begining of the year there are 9 left and all but 2 are dropping it at the end of yr 11 :p

summermagic

HSC
Dropping extension english? We have about 40+ people doing it and I know some are dropping it. Some are going on to do extension 2 english.

ALGALELE

Superman
HSC
lol.......extension english started of as hell with me but i was told to hangon, after 2months i started acing the exams, also it helps alot with advanced, very FUN subject as well RECOMMENDED!

845753sghs34524

HSC
It is so much better than advanced english! The topics are more focused and they are so interesting. we are doing modernism (adv.) and gothic (Ext 1.) right now and it is obvious which one i enjoy more. anyway, exams coming up! i was just wondering...how do you guys study for english besides write essays?

24hrs

HSC
To be honest, I haven't enjoyed it too much;
We've had a fair share of this dry, gothic-related content (19th century texts next year, this is only going to get better), a teacher who strays in and out of relevant discussion, regularly (this is both distracting and irritating), and lots of silly homework, like comprehension questions and 'reading diaries'.

When any of us screw extended response answers she's up in arms!
BUT WE GET NO PRACTICE!! Gahhhh!! :burn:

Seriously considering dropping it, i need more time for my subjects that i could enjoy and possibly do a little better at.

Comes down to the individual, i suppose.

Last edited:

ChampPunk

HSC
I've found it fun but thats cause we've had a good teacher and done some interesting texts eg. The Crucible, Aliens & Beowulf.

Sonata

HSC
Ext1 can be interesting depending on the types of text u are studying at school, though i am dropping nxt yr after looking at the modules for it

Elo89

HSC
Extension english...... We did retreat from the global, man is that a sucky topic. Really dont know why i picked but too late now. I guess most of the time its not so bad, although we do a lot of discussion that isn't related to english anyway, lol.:)

loveCLARA

HSC
Personally, i think that ext english is easier compared to adv eng. Though , that was in regards to my half yearlies mark . i got 2/15 -> 90% . My prelims for ext is in two days and i'll see how "easy" it really is . Haha .

We're doing the Gothic Genre and i haven't been doing much throughout the whole of term 3. Haha , im screwed. Evolution of Gothic Genre.. anyone ?

flyaway15

HSC
Well i've just about had enough of extension english as I can take. After almost 3 terms of absolutely doing nothing in extension english I've decided to drop it next term. I just couldn't stand it anymore, and maybe its my teacher but I find extension english EXTREMELY BORING. I've heard from other people it was fun thats why I chose it but my opinion is that its not worth all the extra work for that one little unit.

ccc123

HSC
Hmmm,

I do genuinely like English, but I have to say that doing Shelley's Frankenstein for the whole prelim yr. was tedious. I still sometimes struggle with understanding how to strike that invisible balance between sophistication and 'overwriting'. I have to admit though, regardless, ext. has really helped me in adv., because comparatively, getting good marks is so straight forward.

Does anyone else find the marking criteria for ext. somewhat enigmatic?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)