Art Express? (1 Viewer)

leigha

HSC
oh well, our school went completely budget this yr...6 of us have been sidelined(mines included), but i think the most someone who got in spent was $50, everyone who got in did paintings. i made 4 of my canvases with the school's supplies and bought the lst canvas from the discount store, max $20 spent. just shows to everyone out there that you don't need to spend up big to do alright in art. the reality of the situation is that the examiners don't have the time to fully appreciate the amount of money u've put into ur work cos in the end ur only a student no#. as long as you had fun making ur bow(mine's helped to vent my frustrations from other subjects) then that's all that really matters. besides, you've created something to remind you of all the drama you've gone thru in yr12...in 6 mths u'll be laughing your ass off at the amount of stress it caused.

penciltron

HSC
guys dun worry art express isnt the end of the world..it all depends on the curators and honestly its just not worth worrying about because as people have mentioned works are often chosen on the basis of themes and relevance to what the curators desire for their gallery...

personally i had some of my works up in an exhibition a 6 or so months ago early this year and i didnt like it, i felt awkward about it, i really dont like having it up for all to see while im there. so yeah, i know it doesnt realy matter that much for me since im so insecure and i will hate my works soon anyway.

also...not all the works have been marked yet...mine gets marked this week so if yo u havent gotten a letter dont lose hope

oh yeah and anyone asking about photos..everyone has posted theirs in the major works thread so yeah.

anyway, no need for spite or whingeing.... anybody got pics of their works? i'd love to see what's possibly gonna make the final cut
did u see the final images thread?

James87

Club Mac - 1st Year 2006!
HSC
Hey
I kinda think they don't like people who use excessive amounts of money. Art is not about money, it is about ideas, process and creation. My art work would well be $100 of materials tops, mainly the wood I put it on. I used some sand and the most expensive material i used would be impasto. I mean, I think the distinction between a 'professional looking' and a 'good' art work are two very different things. I am not attacking those who got photos mounted or anything like that, but u cant really base ur case to get into art express because u spent a heap of money. I think people can tell how much passion, thought and work was exerted to make a body of work - for example, lunchtimes, free periods, work done at home etc. Thinking of it constantly. Using your journal excessively.

From looking at the works nominated from my school, including my own, I would say the ideas carried the works through, but material practice was also pretty strong. However, they dont have one definitive theme, one was about childhood experience, the other about the environment, and another about addictions. So maybe the only link is the elements of life we deem important or our contexts or something

trina233

oh..hahaha
HSC
here, here james. Art is about passion,dedication, and those shitty frameworks everyone has had drilled into them, then its just the clarity of these components to the audiance.
with my bow i bought 4 long and narrow canvases about $60, & 2 smaller ones $15 and alot of paints and pva glue.. $20, and black +white photo development $30. so we're looking at, $125.. the great news is, my school is looking at buying it, after it may get into art express.. but it may not.
It isn't alot compared to you poor photographers and digital guys, shit. I happily spend money on art supplys, but up to $700- $900 is unbelievable, and for one artwork!

I'd also hate to think how much i used of our school art department supplys, alot of paints and brushes, its great they're so oblivious and airy fairy. aha ha.

-i'll post some pics,because i haven't yet of my C.O.W's, if anyone wants to comment or decipher this mystery (or predictable) theme..
mine is based around homelessness, and I took the photographs in Kingcross which I then adapated & intertextualised into painting. I had 5 paintings, and a sculpture peice.
*oh and chris.l, your animation is amazing, i hope you follow that path into uni or an art school, I don't know what the markers were thinking by not nominating you,if you haven't been yet.
I'm sure alot of are in this same boat, but don't dis hearten, think of van gogh who never sold a painting..

misspash

HSC
Here, Here

Thank god someone else agrees with me too! I guess we will see those fortunate enough to get into the exhibition, i know that i am looking forward to seeing that vast variety of hard work and dedication not to mention the more like 70-80+ hours work gone into the artworks!!! Make sure to post ur major works, ill do mine asap!

chensta

HSC
N/A
weee my teacher just called me saying that mine, along with 10 others have been set aside to be considered, which means we got that minimum mark right? was it 44/50? anyway, im happy considering i did most of it in one weekend (plus the occasional 10-20mins of work per week in class). But yea, some good news in my otherwise failing HSC so far :)

Medowie

Hey my 3D short film created in Maya was sent to Sydney...anyone heard about ArtExpress who submitted an animation? Have they been marked yet?

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
art is FAR from being about the money.... photographers and those doin digital jus have it tougher in terms of expenses

HSC
N/A
chensta said:
weee my teacher just called me saying that mine, along with 10 others have been set aside to be considered, which means we got that minimum mark right? was it 44/50? anyway, im happy considering i did most of it in one weekend (plus the occasional 10-20mins of work per week in class). But yea, some good news in my otherwise failing HSC so far :)
10??? Wow, that's excellent! What school do you go to?

Chris Lloyd

I just found out that I and 8 other people (9 in total) got nominated from our school. Speaking of throwing money at an artwork, one guy (who was nominated) took photos of fire in one night, then spend a thousand dollars on getting them mounted and printed. Shows that money can truley buy you a good HSC mark.
Our art teacher is estatic, 9 is a record for our school, who has only had two nominations for art express in the last 3 years. Mind you, our teacher only came last year, so that helped.
Well I did an animation and I guess it's been marked. You can see it at http://www.rianlloyd.com/ChrisLloyd/Apeiron/

b-rex

HSC
trina233 said:
hey guys,http://community.boredofstudies.org/images/icons/icon14.gif
yeah originally my teacher gave me a mark of 50/50, which is great cos she is a marker and the sharpest bitch of a teacher. ha. well today, the markers came, and I was called to say that another girl who got 48/50 and I got nominated for art express. So thats the first stage.. has anyone heard how much further and longer the selection process goes for? od it's been agony waiting to hear what the markers thought, I hope the curators take a liking to it. Best of luck to everyone else.
trine
i didnt think you ever found our your mark for the hsc...
they put it with your theory exam mark?

b-rex

HSC
irnie said:
art is FAR from being about the money.... photographers and those doin digital jus have it tougher in terms of expenses
i spend about 600 all up..
but thats because the art mounters fucked up my drawing..
i did drawing
i got a call this morning :D woo

b-rex

HSC
James87 said:
Hey
I kinda think they don't like people who use excessive amounts of money. Art is not about money, it is about ideas, process and creation. My art work would well be $100 of materials tops, mainly the wood I put it on. I used some sand and the most expensive material i used would be impasto. I mean, I think the distinction between a 'professional looking' and a 'good' art work are two very different things. I am not attacking those who got photos mounted or anything like that, but u cant really base ur case to get into art express because u spent a heap of money. I think people can tell how much passion, thought and work was exerted to make a body of work - for example, lunchtimes, free periods, work done at home etc. Thinking of it constantly. Using your journal excessively.

From looking at the works nominated from my school, including my own, I would say the ideas carried the works through, but material practice was also pretty strong. However, they dont have one definitive theme, one was about childhood experience, the other about the environment, and another about addictions. So maybe the only link is the elements of life we deem important or our contexts or something

i agree... sadly... mind ended up being more expensive than i wanted.

helani

HSC
wooo. i found out yesterday that 16 out of the 22 people in our school got nominated for art express. don't know who yet. congrats to everyone that did!

nookie

HSC
i got considered, but i didn't make it *sob. only one person in my school did. i just hope i get a very good mark =)

maxibon88

HSC
Geese Art is my life but some times i just feel like all it does is take. Damn art express. Any chances that some places havent been marked...anyway this was my work, I thought i had a good chance of at least being selected...haha anyways who wants to hold their own own artexpress with me ..we can call it something like "beautifulshitthatdidntmakeitin" and we can exhibit in garages and undergroung cafes...New York style. Then we can make a disk just like the BOS does for ARt express but our disk will have a bonus section with like nudity in it. Anyone keen.

trina233

oh..hahaha
HSC
b-rex said:
i didnt think you ever found our your mark for the hsc...
they put it with your theory exam mark?
..yeah at that stage the talk was about the representation mark ;what your teacher marked your majorwork, as if they were a marker. (your last, final assesment.)

But yes, i don't think you do find out your mark for you B.O.W, like other subjects it comes combined with your assesments, and exam.

But if you got nominated, that means you did get in between 45-50..
thats what im thinking...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)