Art Express? (1 Viewer)

lucyb29

HSC
ohh thanks !!!! post some pics of your work!!! i'd love to see!!! i was actually using charcoal in the beginning, but i found chalk pastels much easier to smudge in (i'd cover the whole paper in black before rubbing out the drawing..) ... did you do the same sort of erasing technique?

helenpoo

HSC
I only have one picture (my favourite.. haha :p) and unfinished. I wasn't really proud enough to take any finished pictures =/ And more than a little embarassed at posting it here.

I just went in with black charcoal, then with grey, and then touched up the whites when I had the basic feel right. I love the effect you got! And Bill Henson rocks!

One of my friends got selected too. She's awesome, got into the DT show thing, whose name I fail to remember.

Urh, I want to know my marks now! :p

Last edited:

helenpoo

HSC
Oh, Chris, one of my friends linked your work to me. Extremely impressive. I would never hope to do anything with digital animation, but general incompetence aside, your concept and how it just flowed.. brilliant. Really worked for me. The music wasn't half bad either ;p

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
Hey did anyone see much films this year's HSC and the so called "better" year 11's works????

If so can anyone comment how great (or crap) they were and what was so great about them??

thanks

runboynick

gemblack88 said:
if you haven't been notified that you've shortlisted by now... can u pretty much assume that you haven't been shortlisted at all? Oh and also, I heard that they shortlist EVERYONE who gets equal to or above 45/50 and then choose from that who will be exhibited according to the theme, regardless of marks. So i didn't really give a crap about actually getting into art express, but was really hoping to get nominated bcoz it means u got a good mark... Is there still a chance?? Or has everyone been notified by now?
im sorry i don't agree... that EVERYONE who got shortlisted were ALL the people who got 45 or above. My friend last year didn't get shortlisted or anything for art express, yet he got 96 as his final mark, so im guessing that he would have gotten above 45 for his major work.

cate_7x

HSC
gemblack88 said:
if you haven't been notified that you've shortlisted by now... can u pretty much assume that you haven't been shortlisted at all? Oh and also, I heard that they shortlist EVERYONE who gets equal to or above 45/50 and then choose from that who will be exhibited according to the theme, regardless of marks. So i didn't really give a crap about actually getting into art express, but was really hoping to get nominated bcoz it means u got a good mark... Is there still a chance?? Or has everyone been notified by now?
You heard wrong - They figure out pre-selections loosly based on the theme they want.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
You heard wrong - They figure out pre-selections loosly based on the theme they want.
Actually, you heard wrong... Pre-selection is done on the basis of mark, then they go through and each different group picks out the artworks that they believe suit the theme of the exhibition they wish to hold ;)

bubu

art express is chosen from individuals that have achieved a high mark in the marking

ie. if u get 30/50 for ur artwork but it is exactli wat they want

you dont get in

but if u get 50/50 and your work is either too fragile or not wat they want

you dont get in

so there is a mark requirement for art express

cause i got in and thats wat the teachers say :)

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
if they based it on whether it will practically fit and whatever... i dont think mine would've been preselected, cos its almost an installation... hard to set up... so i think its based on the mark for preselections

annaj

HSC
Art Express

Yeah I was Nominated for Art Express also :) ...10 people were selected from my school, i cant believe it. Our teachers are stoked...
If you get nominated you are guaranteed a Band 6 and your mark is within 45/50... top 10% of the state.. Our teachers said the letters should come in a couple of weeks...
i think only 600 get into Art express..

Jessbeans

I was preselected for it but im wondering if the exam means anything?
do we have to go well in it to guarantee artexpress???

Chris Lloyd

Jessbeans said:
I was preselected for it but im wondering if the exam means anything?
do we have to go well in it to guarantee artexpress???
The exam doesn't effect art express at all. You don't have to do anything all year, get a shit assesment mark, not turn up for the HSC exam and you can still get into art express.

I think it is even less that 600 get into art express. Apparently only ~900 get selected for preselection and then only 1/4 get in from that. After the preselection, you're mark doesn't matter at all, people who got 50/50 have an equal chance with people who got 45/50. Apparently they don't show your mark to the curators. And yup, everybody who got preselected will get letters in the next 1 - 2 weeks saying wether they are in art express and what exhibition they were selected for. If you get into David Jones, they choose one work which they think is the best and give you a sort of scholarship/grant to continue your artwork. I'm not sure if its the same for the other exhibitions.

applegreen

HSC
irnie said:
anyway, no need for spite or whingeing.... anybody got pics of their works? i'd love to see what's possibly gonna make the final cut
Yeah i do , i thought mine would get into artexpress but i guess its too late, as my teacher rang me to say that my work has been returned from the markers. My art work was about consumerism, and popular culture, i made a woman out of mesh by moulding my own body, then stuffed it with hobby fill, then i made a dress out of coke cans( really hard to use,cutting and flattening and all), this woman is sitting on a chair holding a baby rapped in coke too,holding a bottle of coke, while watching a t.v with images of poor people with rotten teeth, tring to portray the effects of coke and the manipulation of coke customers, by advertsing. the woman had a blind fold around her head, and on the t.v was scrabble letters spelling the words 'blinded by consumerism'. So yeah i thought my idea was really differnt and unique, but i guess as everyone says its up to the markers opinion and the theme of the exhibition.

So how did u guys find out about ur BOW mark, we were told that we wern't allowd to know until we get our actual result, But maybe i could convince my teacher to get my mark.
So does it meanif they already sent bak ur work ur not in it?
How do u send pics as i want to show my work.

Last edited:

bubu

i gave the statement in on friday, and the diaries are given on request

tanka

HSC
Woo! I just found out I made the cut! I'd kinda given up on it too.

Only 3 people from my school were selected. There were alot more that IMO were much better than mine, but we won't go into that. I'm just happy mine made it! :D

Now it's time to see if it's good enough for the actual exhibition..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)