Art Express? (1 Viewer)

HyPnOtiSeD

be my bad boy ...
HSC
hey everyone!
i did photography and my work was sent away to a marking centre at homebush i think? has anyone whos works have been sent away heard about art express nominations yet?

kristie87

HSC
Yep, I did digital imaging and it was sent away to the marking centre at Homebush - I found out last week I was nominated.

saferemergency

HSC
ours only got marked last friday, and i got preselected. and i only sent my work off today... they have to be at the selection centre by tomorrow. i was told that we find out if we got in by late november. also this year my teacher said u had to get 47 and above to be nominated and also ur work had to be different unusual, and something to do with teenagers (search for identity or something) hope that helps :rolleyes:

kristie87

HSC
Really? 47? I thought it was only like 45. Man, that is a pretty steep cut-off. They must really be trying to cut down then.

saferemergency

HSC
yeh i thought so to. in 2003 it was only 43, then last year 45 and now its gone up again. my teacher (who just came back from marking) said it had something to do with more students getting higher marks because more teachers are beginning to understand the course better since the syllubus was changed. and they get like 800 or so works nominated as it is

misspash

HSC
My art teacher has been away marking and she just returned i and two other nominated students could send our major works to artexpress. She said that they (group of 4 markers) only selected 2 from 4 days of marking, and to make the cut you had to get over 45+. She also stated (which might clear a bit of confusion) that curators pick the works they want for an exhibition, so a rep. from David Jones would choose works he thinks are of high quality that dont make racist, sexist or rude comments due to the audience they will be exhibiting to. I know it seems unfair for people who's works revolve around that concept but they have to choose for the highest quality produced, whilst also taking into consideration not to offend their consumer audience.

Artexpress also doesnt look for a SPECIFIC THEME which alot of you are talking about, like as if you want to walk into an exhibition and see 'teenage scuicide' repreated in all of the artworks. Artexpress has to consider that they have an audiece -besides school students coming to see the exhibition, so they select works from a variety of media's and concept to show the range of quality produced by this years art candidates.

Also, 200 only make the cut for 'Artexpress' out of 700-800 nominations

Last edited:

bubu

ur kiddin onli 200

there goes my chance at art express, but then again mine is landscapes which could be selected.. because how can a landscape affect the consumer... who nos?

kristie87

HSC
I suppose 200 is a pretty reasonable amount considering that there are only 4 exhibition spaces and the regional tour.

trina233

oh..hahaha
HSC
mood; apathetic. (has any1 heard the 'emo' song?)

hello dear people of the artworld,
i posted my b.ow. on monday to homebush bay, artexpress..
I now just hope the freight men of muscle, treat it with tender love and care, and the openers who set it up for selecting, do not break into a rage of anger.. after the frustration of opening my 3 rolls of masking and electric tape.. and the 4 layers of bubble wrap..along with the security i found in multiply layers of cardboard.
Owh hoorah!, fingers and toes crossed for all those who have sent theirs away... and for the people who do get in, i advise you be the permanent audiance in front of your b.o.w, thus we can know who exactley of these talented people do get in.
:) back to art study... lets hope this exam treats us kindly.

Leah.Midd

HSC
i sent ,my cow-mostly photography to homebush and still havent had it sent back and havent heard about art express yet.....just keeping the fingers crossed! other ppl have been sent back too.

shortie_689

HSC
dz said:
ur kiddin onli 200

there goes my chance at art express, but then again mine is landscapes which could be selected.. because how can a landscape affect the consumer... who nos?
My BOW was landscapes an mine was presented at the Art Gallery In art Express

misspash said:
Artexpress also doesnt look for a SPECIFIC THEME which alot of you are talking about, like as if you want to walk into an exhibition and see 'teenage scuicide' repreated in all of the artworks. Artexpress has to consider that they have an audiece -besides school students coming to see the exhibition, so they select works from a variety of media's and concept to show the range of quality produced by this years art candidates.
Actually they do choose a theme that they choose a wide collection of works from... When I was at the openin of art express for last years they explained it all...

I really think this should be well explained to all students to stop this huge debate

roxie_b

HSC
my work is in sydney still, havent found out if ive been selected, though i doubt i will be. its good to know that i got a high mark anyway lol i personally dont care if i get in or not, i havent been too impressed the last few years of artexpress, there are probably a handful of good works and the rest are all very obviously students art. the whole nature of the hsc visual arts course is quite restricting, i had an original idea to do one simple work that had formed through an enormous amount of research and trial runs, but because it was small and didnt appear to have taken so long to come to a final, concise piece it wasnt enough to what they expected. anyway, thats the hsc...

gong-guy

here i am
HSC
what did every1 htink about the exam today i thought the iman thing was crap lol but the second part was gud i did question 4 what did every1 else do. one of my friends were short listed for art express today am heaps happy for her so that 2 from my art class both girls 1 was a painting and the other was documented forms

these is my bow have a look n tell me what u think

www.flippingwild.deviantart.com

misspash

HSC
shortie_689 said:
My BOW was landscapes an mine was presented at the Art Gallery In art Express

Actually they do choose a theme that they choose a wide collection of works from... When I was at the openin of art express for last years they explained it all...

I really think this should be well explained to all students to stop this huge debate
Well ive been working at Regional Art Gallery in Port, and we were fortunate to hold some of 2003's exhibition. We receive information about the works etc etc, but i have never been told that any of the previous years nor this years were included in a 'theme'. This theme must be quite broad, or wouldnt you think alot of people would just make artworks purely to get into artexpress by basing works on 'themes'. I dont no... its sounds a bit suss, but why would the bos markers give us no topic or theme to work with when creating concepts, and then just create a theme for all the works to fit into. It should just be based on the quality and concept of your work, as the 'theme' advantages others.

LiL LiZ

HSC
hey all, i didnt get into art express but 6 from my class did which is awesome considering i liv in a small country town and thats 25% of the class, sucked in all u rich private school kids hahahaha jj
btw any1 going 2 forster 4 schoolies type thing in the 1st week of december?

maxibon88

HSC
Just to clarify everyones(mostly worng) preconceptions, this is the go
and maybe now this thred can die.Let this be the knife to burry it. THE END

The selection for display at the Art Gallery of New South Wales is made by a member of its Public Programs Department (it is the only exhibition in the Gallery not managed by curatorial staff). The choice is made from the work of around 1000 students who have gained a mark of 45 or more out of 50. Their art is brought together in the Homebush marking centre, and deciding on more than 600 pieces, representing about 50 students, takes around a week.

The process takes the opposite approach to a curated exhibition, which begins with a theme and ends with a selection of works to suit that theme. For ARTEXPRESS it is the reverse: works are selected individually and then considered in terms of the way they go together or could be displayed to present some logic, theme or experience for an audience.

Selection is made initially on individual works, with the emphasis on highly resolved material and/or concepts, lack of clichés, level of maturity and sophistication, and that 'something' that demands attention - something powerful, clever, witty!

Final selection depends on the way works can 'talk together' to form a cohesive exhibition experience. ARTEXPRESS bridges the gap between classroom practice and public presentation - between the developing practice of students and the professional practice of the Gallery. Presented in the context of the Gallery's collection and temporary exhibitions, it must meet the Gallery's standards.

From year to year, students focus and refocus between global and local themes, and the processes and materials they use to communicate their ideas. What stays the same is the energy and honesty, boldness and passion, quirkiness and humour they bring to their art.

The exhibition has created its own markers of relevance and excellence over the 21 years that the Art Gallery of New South Wales has been one of its showcases and, for the past fourteen, its principal venue.

Tristan Sharp
Senior Coordinator of Education Programs
Art Gallery of New South Wales

Ichiban Ichigo

HSC
Yay FINALLY someone has posted something that will set things straight :)

C.O.F.A. have had very similar exhibitions these past 2 years focusing on abstract artworks and concept but I think that might be just me seeing a link between two years of artworks. I'm looking forward to seeing the artworks there this year.

I'm happy that the markers thought my artwork worthy enough of a high mark so it makes no difference to me as to whether or not my artwork is finally selected. I'm rather self-concious about my artwork and get embarrassed when other people look at it lol.

When taking marks into consideration I know many people are complaining about people who got high marks internally yet externally they haven't made the selection process. Art is mostly subjective and teachers usually understand the artworks better of their own students as they have seen the process and most likely had input into its creation. It is all based on their own personal opinions combined with the opinions of others. I see high marks as being rather lucky and think that the subject should be more for enjoyment...

Bleh, i'm rambling again. Feel free to ignore me ^____^

James87

Club Mac - 1st Year 2006!
HSC
Sure I am glad this is all over
But the cut-off mark this year was 46/50 and above
Last year was 45/50 +
Before that 43/50+
Now it is the end lol

runboynick

maxibon88 said:
Just to clarify everyones(mostly worng) preconceptions, this is the go
and maybe now this thred can die.Let this be the knife to burry it. THE END

The selection for display at the Art Gallery of New South Wales is made by a member of its Public Programs Department (it is the only exhibition in the Gallery not managed by curatorial staff). The choice is made from the work of around 1000 students who have gained a mark of 45 or more out of 50. Their art is brought together in the Homebush marking centre, and deciding on more than 600 pieces, representing about 50 students, takes around a week.

The process takes the opposite approach to a curated exhibition, which begins with a theme and ends with a selection of works to suit that theme. For ARTEXPRESS it is the reverse: works are selected individually and then considered in terms of the way they go together or could be displayed to present some logic, theme or experience for an audience.

Selection is made initially on individual works, with the emphasis on highly resolved material and/or concepts, lack of clichés, level of maturity and sophistication, and that 'something' that demands attention - something powerful, clever, witty!

Final selection depends on the way works can 'talk together' to form a cohesive exhibition experience. ARTEXPRESS bridges the gap between classroom practice and public presentation - between the developing practice of students and the professional practice of the Gallery. Presented in the context of the Gallery's collection and temporary exhibitions, it must meet the Gallery's standards.

From year to year, students focus and refocus between global and local themes, and the processes and materials they use to communicate their ideas. What stays the same is the energy and honesty, boldness and passion, quirkiness and humour they bring to their art.

The exhibition has created its own markers of relevance and excellence over the 21 years that the Art Gallery of New South Wales has been one of its showcases and, for the past fourteen, its principal venue.

Tristan Sharp
Senior Coordinator of Education Programs
Art Gallery of New South Wales
Does that mean that those art students who didnt make the first selection didnt get 45 or more out of 50, im rather confused.
I'm rather frustrated with how the markers interpret what we have done with our works. I got 47/50 for my major work and it was very conceptual...the meaning was sophisticated and it wasnt cliche. I have no idea how the markers fully understood my major work without asking for my VAPD, which took up 3 A3 sized vapd's...heaps of symbolism followed the structural, subjective and cultural frames. I looked at the Natural Disasters which had occured this year like the Tsunami Disaster and Hurricanes and what washes up on beach etc, mine was called 'Flotsam and Jetsam: Natures Apocalypse" it roughly made up 29 seperate pieces such as roof tiles, fibre glass-soft edges corregate, wooden boxes, thongs etc and did textural layers on top of these objetcs with newspaper articles about these events hidden beneath the layers which included plaster, fishing wire, candle wax etc. I also went 2 Cambodia..and areas of the asian pacific which were effected by the tsunami with school for an immersion experience and got so many subjectve feelings from visiting and used these feelings in my artwork. I put it all in my vapd, and as if the markers knew that..... I reckon all VAPD'S should be handed in with our works so we can get a valid mark, and the markers CAN understand our meaning as the artist rather then their own personal interpretation. I wouldnt care if they just briefly went through it.... it would just make it fair for those students who put in alot of effort, because throughout the year teachers must look in ur vapd to understand the meaning and concept. I followed the syllabus got a high mark and topped my year in art, and i'd hate to get a low mark for it by the bos.

Hols87

hey just wondering if people who have got selected got their letters saying that they have been pre-selected? i got mine yesterday and it has to be sent back by friday!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)