Assesment Marks vs. Exam Marks (1 Viewer)

Which marks did you generally do better in?

• Exam Marks

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Assesment Marks

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Same (you came first in everything)

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Spread about

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

determine

Premium Member
HSC
maths, society, music 2 and chemistry, all slightly better (1 mark)

english the same.

and CAFS one down.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Is that what happens - does ranking 1st mean you get the same exam/assessment mark? How/why does that work?
No. To be guaranteed to get the same exam/assessment mark, you need to rank 1st in your subject, and also top your external HSC exam in your cohort (i.e. get the highest mark compared to the rest of your class).

If you rank 1st for a subject in your school, you get the top internal (assessment) mark for the HSC. However, I also managed to come first in the HSC external exams in the subjects I ranked 1st in, so my external marks for those subjects were the same as my internal marks.

For example, just say you rank 1st for Biology in your school, but you flunk the HSC exam and get 60. Although you'll get 60 for your external HSC mark, you'll still get the top internal mark (for example, your friend in your class got the top mark with 90). So then your HSC mark would be 75 (because 60 + 90 / 2 = 75). But if you don't flunk and get 93 in your HSC exam, both your internal/external marks will be 93, as no one in your cohort got a higher mark.

Last edited:

JessicaCaroline

HSC
To be guaranteed to get the same exam/assessment mark, you need to rank 1st in your subject, and also top your external HSC exam in your cohort .
Thanks, makes sense. Only, this didn't appear to be the case for me in Ext Eng II - was ranked equal first, but got different external and internal marks... ie got 47 for external, 45 internal.. Hm, I guess that subject's just different?

Last edited:

jet

Banned
HSC
My assessment marks were higher in all subjects.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks, makes sense. Only, this didn't appear to be the case for me in Ext Eng II - was ranked equal first, but got different external and internal marks... ie got 47 for external, 45 internal.. Hm, I guess that subject's just different?
No. In your case, you are ranked equal first, not outright first. Therefore, the top internal mark is the average of the two highest external marks, which happens to be 45 (possibly an average of 47 and 43).

M@ster P

HSC
Subject Exam mark Assessment

Eco 89 86 :(

English 87 80 :( :(

Physics 88 80 :( :(

Anc.History 87 86 :(

3u math 45/50 44/50 :(

2u Math 92 94 :)

Assessments pulled me down 2 - 3 atar points - but i got what i deserved :)

percentage

HSC
So does that mean if I am ranked last in my school cohort for Chemistry and the highest mark is say 90 and the lowest say 50 but my mark is 70 , i will be dragged down to 50

percentage

HSC
If you attend a pretty smart school should you stick to the subjects where you rank against the cohort doing the subject at least average rather than the subjects where everyone else is likely to rank above you

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
So does that mean if I am ranked last in my school cohort for Chemistry and the highest mark is say 90 and the lowest say 50 but my mark is 70 , i will be dragged down to 50
No. You will get an average of 70 (your exam mark) and 50 (the lowest assessment mark) = 60 (Final HSC Mark).

percentage

HSC
What then if every student at my school gets at least 90 and over but I get 50 and am ranked last .Do my marks get pushed up

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
What then if every student at my school gets at least 90 and over but I get 50 and am ranked last .Do my marks get pushed up
If the lowest exam mark is 50 and you are ranked last, you will most likely get a mark of ~50 as your moderated assessment mark, irrespective of what your cohort gets.

percentage

HSC
So then it doesnt matter if you go to a top performing HSC school at top fees as they would quote. Many suggest best to stick with top performing school as drags the whole cohort up .Its all about how you do anyway

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
So then it doesnt matter if you go to a top performing HSC school at top fees as they would quote. Many suggest best to stick with top performing school as drags the whole cohort up .Its all about how you do anyway
There is no difference between someone from a top school who is ranked last and gets 50 in the HSC exam and someone from an average school who is ranked last and gets 50 in the HSC exam. In both cases, the end result is that the person will get the lowest HSC exam mark (50) as their assessment mark and their own exam mark (50).

The dragging up process only works if you are ranked reasonably because obviously a middle ranked person in a selective school is better than a middle person at an average school.

Thecorey0

HSC
If you are ranked first or last, your cohort has no effect on you. As said above, if you're in the middle, it is a different story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)