Assess the suitability of water quality tests used to monitor eutrophication (1 Viewer)

wilsondw

HSC
I was wondering how do I assess water quality tests for eutrophication?.....like colourimetry, the Kjeldahl method and chromatography etc

Also, can any of you guys describe to me how each of these methods work please?

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
Recall the Cations and Anions test, those are for testing the presence of ions in water. Now theres certain tests such as TDS, wrinklers and what not that help determine if the water is of quality, but there isn't one test that actually tests all the different indicators of quality. However some indicate to a greater extent why it is of better quaility. I don't remember each one specifically. But for example:
The schicher disk, (black and white disk), indicates tubrility, might not tell you if the water is of qualiity to use as washing, but it tells you how much undissolved solids there is
Hope that gets you started :)

wilsondw

HSC
thanks for the help, but that really wasnt my question...i was wondering how do i give a judgement(assess) the suitability of tests such as colourimetry, the Kjeldahl method and chromatography

nightweaver066

HSC
thanks for the help, but that really wasnt my question...i was wondering how do i give a judgement(assess) the suitability of tests such as colourimetry, the Kjeldahl method and chromatography
You can talk about those tests, but you could also talk about the other water quality tests that golgo13 mentioned, specifically towards eutrophication, and assess the suitability of those.

State disadvantages and disadvantages of each test you speak about and provide a judgement for the suitability of the test, e.g. very suitable because it provides an accurate reading of the concentration but is unreliable as the sample may not represent the water body as a whole.

Last edited:

barbernator

HSC
your question needs to be more specific. what are you assessing about the tests, their accuracy, reliability or validity? and also you can only assess them once you have been provided with an experimental method as the nuances within the method can change results etc.

wilsondw

HSC
well, on the task...the full question is "Describe the process of eutrophication, and assess the suitability of water quality tests used to monitor it"....its just the second part that confuses me

madharris

HSC
N/A
Give a description, advantages/ disadvantages and give your opinion on it (is it good, bad, does it need more research?, etc)

nightweaver066

HSC
well, on the task...the full question is "Describe the process of eutrophication, and assess the suitability of water quality tests used to monitor it"....its just the second part that confuses me
Is this an assignment?

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
I think i explained in my answer that each test is unique in evaluating how fine the water is, some more complex than others. But like other memebers above stated just do pros and cons, and just think in real terms, is it possible to do long term, is it economically viable, is it cost effective for the results it yeilds etc etc :)

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
I'm pretty sure they're are a few tests that are quantitative like the schicher disk one but it's not a defined measurement, just observation tied with a number for say

get_back23

HSC
For your question

Eutrophication is a detrimental consequence of algal bloom which is caused by increases beyond normal levels of nutrient in the waterway, especially a higher phosphur, and to lesser extent nitrogen content. As a result increases in algae eventually cause the decrease in oxygen level, due to photosynthesis demand. The algae population will die off, as well as other organisms such as fishes as dissolved oxygen decreases. Eventually oxygen depletion brings about anaerobic bacteria, and fouling of waterways which is eutrophication

The measurement of biochemical oxygen demand, as well as dissolved oxygen is used. You can talk about how it is able to detect the amount of organic material in water. Limitations for assess is like how measurement of DO and BOD only indicate eutrophication after it occurs

Measuring and monitoring phosphate and nitrate concentration is also important as it allows for predications and actions to be made before eutrophication occurs. This involves the mobylem something like that, just look at the text book

not entirely sure if this is wat ur looking for

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)