Assessment ranks are in! (1 Viewer)

bikinigal

HSC
N/A
Actually that may not be 100% true. If two students are entered tied first from your school it actually causes a bit of a dillemma. You are all probably aware by now that the highest internal school mark that someone in your school gets is the highest hsc test mark achieved by someone in your cohort. Usually the guy who comes first internally will get the highest HSC mark so the two marks become the same.

In the situation that two people are tied first, typically they will average the the two highest hsc marks to be attained and award that as the school mark to the students who are first. I'll give you an example, in modern history me and one other student were tied first. The other student was quite obviously smarter than me, but I somehow managed to kill the trial and ended up on par. The modern head teacher offered to separate us by putting her first and me second, which seemed fair when we analysed it as above. But on further discussion with the other student we decided that it would be fairest to both of us if we stayed equal. What happened was I ended up with 96 as my HSC mark and they got 94. That got averaged to 95 for our internal marks. It didn't affect me because had I been first outright I would have had 96 and 96 giving me an HSC mark of 96. Now I had 96 95 giving me an HSC mark of 96. The other student got 94 95 and overral HSC mark of 95.

Sorry if that makes absolutely no sense, but I'm saying is that there is an argument there to separate the two students so they don't impact each other. Most teachers who have anything to do with the way the Board of Studies operates will do this and it isn't as bad as you think!
Actually it would have made no difference to her if you had have been ranked 2nd as her exam mark was, as you said, 94 & the highest exam mark (yours @ 96) would have been given to her as her assessment mark - this still averages to a HSC mark of 95 which is what she got anyway. Depending on what BOS would have determined to be "the relative gap", you may well have still ended up with 95 as your assessment mark and, hence, the same HSC mark you received anyway.

The upshot of what I'm saying (using your example) is that the other person ranked 1st was not disadvantaged but you might have been (very marginally) advantaged - ie it would have looked nice on your testamur but you more likely than not would have ended up with 99.95 either way.

tambam

HSC
Actually that may not be 100% true. If two students are entered tied first from your school it actually causes a bit of a dillemma. You are all probably aware by now that the highest internal school mark that someone in your school gets is the highest hsc test mark achieved by someone in your cohort. Usually the guy who comes first internally will get the highest HSC mark so the two marks become the same.

In the situation that two people are tied first, typically they will average the the two highest hsc marks to be attained and award that as the school mark to the students who are first. I'll give you an example, in modern history me and one other student were tied first. The other student was quite obviously smarter than me, but I somehow managed to kill the trial and ended up on par. The modern head teacher offered to separate us by putting her first and me second, which seemed fair when we analysed it as above. But on further discussion with the other student we decided that it would be fairest to both of us if we stayed equal. What happened was I ended up with 96 as my HSC mark and they got 94. That got averaged to 95 for our internal marks. It didn't affect me because had I been first outright I would have had 96 and 96 giving me an HSC mark of 96. Now I had 96 95 giving me an HSC mark of 96. The other student got 94 95 and overral HSC mark of 95.

Sorry if that makes absolutely no sense, but I'm saying is that there is an argument there to separate the two students so they don't impact each other. Most teachers who have anything to do with the way the Board of Studies operates will do this and it isn't as bad as you think!
Yeah but by being 2nd, it means his internal mark will be lower than it should have been if he had remained at first.

If you hadn't been ranked equal first, and only placed 2nd (like you said your teacher was considering), then your external mark would have been 96, and your internal mark would have been 94, so your hsc mark would only be 95. So essentially you're benefited by being ranked equal first, instead of being bumped down to 2nd.

michaeljennings

HSC
Yeah but by being 2nd, it means his internal mark will be lower than it should have been if he had remained at first.
+1, the person who ranks 2nd never gets an internal mark better than the person ranked 1st even if 10 people are ranked equal first so it is in his best interest to stay first

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah, its pretty ridiculous that they can't just put people in on equal rankings, but one of my teachers said that it 'wouldn't be to either person's advantage' to do so :s
I'm pretty sure that they try and maintain the gaps between each rank though. So your moderated mark should still only by 0.02% lower than the top mark.
Although if you still think its wrong you may aswell ring up your school. It's not as if you have anything to lose :)

It would be a full mark behind as schools only send in whole numbers - no decimal places.

Rus-Chick

HSC
Is it true that even u get high marks (external) will still be scaled down heaps because of the shitty ranks????

eg. some subjects rank close to bottom

I know internal weighs the same as external (50% each) but won't it be unfair (in my opinion) ????

Galladrim

HSC
I'm sure that we aren't tied, since we all got to see our ranks and marks on a big power point presentation (not very private for those who didn't do so well).

I already fired off an email to my maths teacher. I feel too guilty 'scamming' these ranks away from them.
That is a very honorable thing to do.

Kudos to you!

connie94

HSC
Im happy :)

15110 Economics 2 3 / 12
15140 English (Advanced) 2 21 / 69
15220 Legal Studies 2 1 / 17
15270 Modern History 2 2 / 17
15290 Music 1 2 5 / 13
15370 Studies of Religion I 1 8 / 82
Not to be lame but how do you make one of those HSC ticker factory things? >:D

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
they're asking for secret security questions that i can't remember. :(
..... lol.

The whole point of you making a secret security question was so that you could retrieve your PIN if you happened to lose it. Kinda contradicts the whole notion don't you think? lol.

Idk, I guess you have to contract the Board of Studies directly. Try get in contact with your careers advisor from school.

Rus-Chick

HSC
ATAR estimate with ranks for my sis

Biology rank 39 / 45 (A bit of gap in terms of marks between top rankers and bottom rankers)
Chemistry rank 23 / 28 (Smart Cohorts)
Business Studies 11 / 34 (A bit of gap in terms of marks between top rankers and bottom rankers)
Maths Adv 28 / 32 (Smart Cohorts)
ESL 3/9 (Class average for trials was above 2010 HSC average mark, 70ish)

Assuming she gets Band4 or Band3 (maybe either bio or maths) for most subjects and Band5+ for ESL (positive she'll get), remember all her subjects are highly scaled

School Rank 110-115

Chances of getting ATAR

70 (Aim)
60 (minimum)
<50 (will probably die)

Haemolymph

Banned
HSC
My English rank is 8/102 and on BOS it says 9/101. So, two people below me miraculously died and another person transferred in above me. There's really no other explanation.
I've emailed the school and they haven't gotten back to me yet. If they don't by tomorrow I'll ring them.
ENGLISH IS THE WORST ALREADY THEY DON'T HAVE TO MAKE IT EVEN MORE HORRIBLE FOR ME!

My school was closed today so I couldn't call!!! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)